Jam Support - calling all newcomers!

What's Hot

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited August 2018
    "Serve the song, not your Ego!"
    Sounds simple but it's (to me) like a core skill.
    I always, ALWAYS try to do this and it doesn't mean *copy* the song note for note, it simply means give the song what the song needs. It might be choosing whether to play in a Minor 3rd harmony instead of the normal melodic scale for the song. Let's use that as an exa

I'm going to chip in with my recent beginner hat on (AGAIN!). Starters: if something you want to play is a struggle to get "right", don't walk away, instead simplify it to make it playable. Capturing the essence and getting through it is the best way to respect the song. That's what the writer would want. And, once you have a base, you can build on it when you're ready.

Example: I've been circling around "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" for a while, it's quite a handful for my level, but now I found this performance video where Alice plays it slowly, simply, and elegantly, and it gave me a way in. (And it helps that it's easier to see her hands well). That's a great start and one day I will get this.

(Sorry @Alnico, camping on your thread again. Ping me if you want me to stop!).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
     @pmbomb ;

Not at all, that's great advice and I'd advise the same for beginners.
    Find a simple way into the song first and find foundation to build on.

I would encourage you to then look for more detail once you've established a base camp and I'm going to use the mountain climbing analogy. 
    Once you've established a simplified, base camp version you can start to TRY to stretch further into the detail of the song/riff/technique.
    If you fail that time you have a base camp to return to and feel like you have *some* success instead of total failure.

I would teach a beginner using this method and give them something to stand on and feel good about. It's also a great way of "Outlining" a song/riff/technique and then filling in the colour and detail later once the rhythm and principles of the riff are established. 

Nice one Matt and also this isn't MY thread it's just somewhere I can offer advice and support. 

It's like everything in music. 
    It's collaborative and every viewpoint is valuable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @Alnico - Cheers mate. Although I always describe what I do as "plug in and waffle for a bit".

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

@Alnico - Cheers mate. Although I always describe what I do as "plug in and waffle for a bit".

You're welcome man.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    @Alnico wow that’s a really nice thing to say you made me blush.  If I can help out at any of the jams or anything just ask.  
    Adam_MD said:
    @Alnico wow that’s a really nice thing to say you made me blush.  If I can help out at any of the jams or anything just ask.  
    You deserve every word of that man.
    I don't know if you're signed up for a Jam, it's @Bridgehouse and @TTony who organise that side of things but if you ever make it to one, I know there's a ton of useful experience you could pass on to newcomers.

If not man, don't worry the Jams are in no way obligatory but unless you're already playing in a band these days it would be good to see you back on a stage of some sort, you belong there really!

It's been a while so I hope you're doing well and I certainly hope you've kept up with practice because the last time I heard you play I was in awe.

Rock on man.
    edited August 2018
    Alnico said:
    You deserve every word of that man.
    I don't know if you're signed up for a Jam, it's @Bridgehouse and @TTony who organise that side of things but if you ever make it to one, I know there's a ton of useful experience you could pass on to newcomers.

If not man, don't worry the Jams are in no way obligatory but unless you're already playing in a band these days it would be good to see you back on a stage of some sort, you belong there really!

It's been a while so I hope you're doing well and I certainly hope you've kept up with practice because the last time I heard you play I was in awe.

Rock on man.
    No I haven’t signed up for any of the jams and to be very honest I don’t think I’ve been in the events section before you tagged me.  I’ve just had a look at some of the jam threads and will try and get involved with one near me.  They look like fun. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    They are *huge* fun @Adam_MD.

And given where you are, Quad (which is a great location/facility too) is the obvious one to get your name down for!

Don't worry that the lists appear to be full.  People will always have to pull out closer to the time (though it's happening less frequently now).

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    They are *huge* fun @Adam_MD.

And given where you are, Quad (which is a great location/facility too) is the obvious one to get your name down for!

Don't worry that the lists appear to be full.  People will always have to pull out closer to the time (though it's happening less frequently now).

:)
    Thanks @TTony I’ll have a look at that one now.  
    Update on webcam support:

We had some problems with the walls where I'm building this studio of mine and it's halted the whole project while it was being fixed. It's 90% fixed now and then once everything is dry and solid I have to move it all into place, wire everything up and get someone on the other end of a live feed to test levels etc (I've never done all this before!).

I'm Working on it right now and now that the walls are nearly fixed and guitar hangers are actually going up on the walls, things are starting to fall into place.

I'm aiming to be available most days for whatever people need help with.
    Bear with me, I'm working on this as hard as I can and trying to pull it all together as quickly as possible without compromising the idea.

Back as soon as I can be...
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Alnico said:

We had some problems with the walls where I'm building this studio of mine and it's halted the whole project while it was being fixed. It's 90% fixed now and then once everything is dry and solid I have to move it all into place, wire everything up and get someone on the other end of a live feed to test levels etc (I've never done all this before!).

I'm Working on it right now and now that the walls are nearly fixed and guitar hangers are actually going up on the walls, things are starting to fall into place.

Bear with me, I'm working on this as hard as I can and trying to pull it all together as quickly as possible without compromising the idea.

Ha! Are you Frank Spencer in disguise?  ;)

On a serious note, fantastic news, and well done for being such a sport with this venture of yours. I hope it works out, and that stuff actually stays on the wall.   

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    fandango said:
    Alnico said:

Ha! Are you Frank Spencer in disguise?  ;)

On a serious note, fantastic news, and well done for being such a sport with this venture of yours. I hope it works out, and that stuff actually stays on the wall.   

I'm waiting for news on the two chandeliers he is working on....

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LOL !!!

Thanks guys, that was a welcome laugh.
    The walls are now dry, just one more hanger to put up tomorrow and then it's full steam ahead to get it all hooked up.
    Very, VERY exciting update:

An extremely kind Family member just bought me this...

Coming from Andertons, It will be here mid week.
    This will also take my own audio recordings and our Jam Sessions to a new level in terms of recording both video and audio.

I'm very excited and I'm looking forward to using this for everything from webcam lessons and jam support to creating as much online content as I'm capable of in the future.

Just.
    WOW...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    That looks awesome! Good stuff :)
  • Really pleased for you @Alnico ;
    well happy for you mate
    LuttiS said:
    That looks awesome! Good stuff :)
    It is very awesome compared to the archaic way I'm used to...

Blackjack said:
    Really pleased for you @Alnico ;
    well happy for you mate
    Thank you.
    This isn't really just for me though.
    I've been asked for help and support by so many people and now this means I can reach out and help more people in more ways than I ever could before.
    Often just 5 minutes in front of someone explaining a riff or physically showing someone a chord etc, can do more than a thousand words in text.
    Yes, I'm going to love what this can do but I'll love it more when I can see someone play what they couldn't before and it's down to this piece of kit enabling me to help them with that.
  • Amazing what you can get these days.

Might seriously think of punting for one of those as part of my little recording shopping list.  Going to get a Scarlet Solo and a Microphone as well :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • pmbomb said:
    Very kind. lol there's a back story,..
    Interesting story - I guess I'm following a similar path. Bought a guitar 25 years ago and played briefly with a work band (I was third guitar, and they basically let me strum along a bit as long as I didn't turn the amp up too far. The lead guitar player was seriously good - he could play a flawless cover of Satriani's Always with me, Always with you, so I learned a fair amount). Anyway, that lasted a few months after which it kind of all stopped and the guitar ended up sitting in the corner until Xmas 2017 when for some reason I picked it up again.

Obviously the internet has revolutionised self learning for the guitar since I last played, and I've been able to learn a lot over the last nine months or so, and I'm getting to the point where I'm looking at maybe trying to find some people to jam with too. So, hanging out here, looking to see what's going on...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    I assume you are based in ....SW19 ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview