Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Spotify Knows You...

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
One of the cool things about Spotify, is that with regular listening, it remembers your tastes and builds themed dynamic playlists called "Daily Mixes" around them.

I found it illuminating to look at the general genre of each one, and was curious as to what everyone else got....

Here's mine...

Daily Mix 1:  Indie/Britpop (no surprise there)
Daily Mix 2:  Music across genres made by attractive women plus some soft rock (nope, not surprised)
Daily Mix 3:  Harder alt rock and grunge (Foos, QOTSA,Nirvana)
Daily Mix 4:  Soundtracks
Daily Mix 5:  Classic Rock (listening to this now trying to promote it so I look cooler...)
Daily Mix 6:  Indie rock but a bit weirder (Anna Calvi, Let's Eat Grandma etc.)

Quite an education, a bit like the annual "most listened to" playlists!
We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Mine are all slightly different flavours of metal and a category based on Weird Al & Richard Cheese.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    1: (mostly American) punk and post-hardcore
    2: Ambient and "modern classical"
    3: Post-rock
    4: Heavier post-rock, some hardcore, some mathcore
    5: Post-metal and ambient black metal
    6: Assorted non-dance electronica
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."

• This works well, until you start sharing spotify with your partner and she mostly listens to The Greatest Showman soundtrack for pre hospital shift motivation! I do like the occasional new item it throws up though.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670

This works well, until you start sharing spotify with your partner and she mostly listens to The Greatest Showman soundtrack for pre hospital shift motivation! I do like the occasional new item it throws up though.
    Spotify family fixes that... got seperate accounts for all the shite my kids listen too (those f**king sharks etc.)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine are similar, with the exception of a showtunes one, and shit modern stuff. Those two are attributable to my YBTB sessions where kids choose the music. 

Fortunately this hasn't infected the annual "Your top songs of 2017" list...but I suspect it will this year! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • It was this very function that grassed me up for sponging off my daughters account.

'Dad, have you been listening to Rush on my Spotify?'

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637

This works well, until you start sharing spotify with your partner and she mostly listens to The Greatest Showman soundtrack for pre hospital shift motivation! I do like the occasional new item it throws up though.
    Spotify family fixes that... got seperate accounts for all the shite my kids listen too (those f**king sharks etc.)
    is that a more extreme version of Them Crooked Vultures ? Sounds bit hardcore for kids ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:

is that a more extreme version of Them Crooked Vultures ? Sounds bit hardcore for kids ;)
    You lucky man not knowing, or previously not knowing anyhow ;) ....

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    My memory of Spotify was it always seemed to be playing me something that was obviously sponsored that I didn't particularly like. It didn't know me.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • My memory of Spotify was it always seemed to be playing me something that was obviously sponsored that I didn't particularly like. It didn't know me.  
    Spotify premium is excellent. I wouldn't go back now

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206

or if you have young kids.. i get inundated with disney soundtrack suggestions !! D'oh !
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 483
    mrkb said:

You lucky man not knowing, or previously not knowing anyhow ;) ....

I'm not going to click on it but I'm assuming that it's baby shark?  I picked my niece up from a wedding so her mum and dad could stay and have a drink.  My niece was tired and grumpy so we ended up with baby shark playing on a loop all the way home.  Didn't bother me much at the time but that was 3 weeks ago and it's still going around in my head.

As for spotify - I seem to be limited to 4 daily mixes recently.  

1 - Classic rock
    2 - Metal & hard rock with the odd Police track thrown in
    3 - Modern (ish) rock
    4 - Rockabilly

5 & 6 used to be blues and jazz - maybe I'm not listening to enough of them to warrant their own playlists at the moment.
  • Mine are:

#1 - mainly indie or garage bands from the early 00s... No surprise certainly
    #2 - seems to be Eagles, The Band, Carole King... Not entirely sure where that comes from
    #3 - indie folk I guess it's called, Laura Marling, Noah and the Whale, Johnny Flynn etc. That's fair enough
    #4 - Third Man Records artists, which makes sense as I have a playlist called exactly that already.
    #5 - seems to be a selection of Greek bazouki music such as that you might hear in Greek restaurants as background music. Not a clue why this one is there?!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    Just installed Spotify thinking it would be useful when various band members say "Let's have a go at ....."  It's dreadful.  I compiled a playlist with 3 songs and it defaults to Shuffle' mode unless you pay them a tenner a month.  It also won't let you go back to the start of the song you're on.  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    uncledick said:
    It's dreadful. 
    I would say that there is a marked difference in opinion between people using the free version and those with a subscription.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    The free version is shit, but I think it's worth £10 a month to be able to listen to almost any music whenever you want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    I've still not seen the point in getting Spotify. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited August 2018
    Reverend said:
    I've still not seen the point in getting Spotify. 
    Convenience when traveling in particular, ability to try before you buy, saves you having to carry multiple devices everywhere, and in my case preserving my iPod classic now they don't make them any more. Recommendations, the mixes this thread is about etc . Also good if you have to write quiz music rounds.

It may not be for you, but there's plenty of point to it. Save yourself the tenner
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    edited August 2018
    It's (nearly) all the music in the world wherever you have a reasonable internet connection for £10 a month is the point to it.  The free tier is bluddy awful, I'm amazed anyone copes with the ads and shite, but then to me its worth £10 a month, a lot of people don't think it is, and fair play.

If you want to "own" any and all music you are interested in, then it has limited utility, but I used to be like that and had over 2000 CDs before I cleared most of them out.  Too much unwieldy plastic for me and my very average sized house.

Ironically, I missed buying music so much I've started a vinyl collection, but you would still need to prise spotify premium away from me very reluctantly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2621
    Daily Mix 1:
    UFO, King Crimson, Yes and more...

Daily Mix 2:
    Fiona Apple, Beck, Nick Drake and more...

Daily Mix 3:
    Supertramp, Talking Heads, Donald Fagan and more...

Daily Mix 4:
    Faith No More, Rush, Pink Floyd and more...

Daily Mix 5:
    Cabaret Voltaire, Thomas Dolby, Scritti Politti and more...

Daily Mix 6:
    Neil Cowley Trio, Nels Cline, Charles Lloyd & the Marvels and more...

The actual playlists are a lot more interesting than the three artists quoted, though. Don't really understand the FNM and Rush one, as I think I listened to one song by each over the last couple of months, and one album by Fiona Apple. I actually listen to a lot more low-profile music than the things it lists there. What I usually do is listen to the tracks on the playlist I've never heard of. What I really want is one übermix which combines all six, but that appears to be beyond Spotify's algorithms. 

I've got some great stuff from their Release Radar recommendations over the last couple of years, and another good way of finding odd new music is artist radio. Thing is it thinks I want to listen to Dream Baby Dream by Suicide and I really don't, and it won't take no for an answer.