Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Those who have gigged with modellers... what do you plug them into?

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    I was using a DXR10 for monitoring my Helix, and DI to the desk (never trust the sound guy). Unfortunately, for various reasons, I'm now back to using the preamp models in the Helix > 50W valve power amp (R&R SOLO) -> 2x12".

I honestly preferred the on-stage sound from the DXR10, but I got sick and tired of negotiating with sound guys to run the Helix direct to the desk, so it's easier to effectively run the Helix as preamp/effects and do the rest the traditional way, so the DXR10 is up for sale :(
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    I don't know why soundguys wouldn't jump at the chance of a direct feed?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Cirrus said:

I've have loads who aren't happy about it, but are usually alright if you insist.

I did however have a mono & stereo versions of identical patches for 8 months. Not a single FOH would take a stereo signal, even though we're a 1 guitar band. Gave up asking eventually.

Cirrus said:
    That's what I thought. I think it's as soon as they see "Line 6", and then I end up spending 10 minutes trying to convince them that it's not a POD. It gets exhausting pretty quickly.

One sound guy actively tried to make it sound shit to make his point - I couldn't understand why it sounded so bad, and then I wandered over to the desk and saw he'd whacked the treble right up and cut the bass.
    <space for hire>
    Madness, isn't it. I know any thread where soundguys are mentioned ends up pretty much a 50/50 split of people either laying into them or saying that guitarists are the problem (Stockholm syndrome, I suspect), but why are so many sound people absolutely terrible at not ruining the show? You know those exact same sound men would have a problem with a valve amp too.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    We had a sound guy who did the odd gig with us who was incredibly resistant to using a direct line. One night I spoke very nicely to him and convinced him to try a line from my Kemper rather than micing the cab and, if it was bad, then we'd change over.

after the gig I asked him what he thought. In typical blunt, Yorkshire fashion he said "It was bloody brilliant! Best amp sound I've heard in years and no feedback!" Since then he just drapes an xlr cable over my rig for me to plug in.
    Cirrus said:
    Madness, isn't it. I know any thread where soundguys are mentioned ends up pretty much a 50/50 split of people either laying into them or saying that guitarists are the problem (Stockholm syndrome, I suspect), but why are so many sound people absolutely terrible at not ruining the show? You know those exact same sound men would have a problem with a valve amp too.
    At least 50% of the sound guys we come across are actually landlords/bar staff/cleaners/etc who got landed with the job because nobody else wanted to, so they can't really be blamed for not knowing what they're doing. I usually try to have a friendly chat with them beforehand so I can get a sense of their competence/ability.
    <space for hire>
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    drwiddly said:

after the gig I asked him what he thought. In typical blunt, Yorkshire fashion he said "It was bloody brilliant! Best amp sound I've heard in years and no feedback!" Since then he just drapes an xlr cable over my rig for me to plug in.
    Had a bloke who (after a small amount of speculation) thought having no amps on stage was brilliant because he could shut the guitarist up whenever he wanted, and didn't have to battle the amp volume knob that keeps creeping up through the show!
    Cirrus said:
    At least 50% of the sound guys we come across are actually landlords/bar staff/cleaners/etc who got landed with the job because nobody else wanted to, so they can't really be blamed for not knowing what they're doing. I usually try to have a friendly chat with them beforehand so I can get a sense of their competence/ability.
    On the gig we played together, I remember the sound guy asking me what speakers were in my cab. I don't think he expected the year of manufacture and the Celestion T-number.  =)
    Cirrus said:
    Cirrus said:
    On the gig we played together, I remember the sound guy asking me what speakers were in my cab. I don't think he expected the year of manufacture and the Celestion T-number.  =)
    Heh...that would've been Tony. He's one of the good ones - a proper gear nerd.
    <space for hire>
    Thing is, it's not like it's some new-fangled thing there should be resistance to. I played a gig in 2005, I had a Line 6 Flextone 3 XL; the 2x12 combo. It had direct outs at the back, and when I showed them to the sound guy he was over the moon - thought it was the best thing ever.

That was 13 years ago, so why is it still a source of ire?
    Cirrus said:
    Thing is, it's not like it's some new-fangled thing there should be resistance to. I played a gig in 2005, I had a Line 6 Flextone 3 XL; the 2x12 combo. It had direct outs at the back, and when I showed them to the sound guy he was over the moon - thought it was the best thing ever.

That was 13 years ago, so why is it still a source of ire?
    Because while technology has changed, human knowledge about it hasn't. Hence...

"Guitarists don't know what they're talking about, all Line 6 gear is shit."

...and, worse...

"I won't be replaced by some cheap Chinese electronics, I can do a much better job"
    <space for hire>
  • Used to plug the axe FX into a valve poweramp and use a 2x12 cab but my objective was to cut down on heavy stuff and beamy guitar cabs so switched to direct into PA.

EV system - 2 mains and 2 monitors. 

Sounds ace in a band context - smooth and projects across a room better than a guitar cab

Monitoring is still a pain - either too loud or too quiet. Need to work on the monitor EQ
  • I’d like to pick up an active cab of some sort, I think at the moment for me it’s between the powercab and the Yamaha dxr10/12
  • timmysoft said:
    I’d like to pick up an active cab of some sort, I think at the moment for me it’s between the powercab and the Yamaha dxr10/12
    If it helps, I'm selling my DXR10...
    <space for hire>
  • How odd - on bass, I normally get a soundman (pretty much all the time) with an xlr lead wander up and ask where he can plug it in....

Maybe one day it will be the norm and the same for guitar....
  • How odd - on bass, I normally get a soundman (pretty much all the time) with an xlr lead wander up and ask where he can plug it in....

Maybe one day it will be the norm and the same for guitar....
    That's just because nobody cares what the bass sounds like.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Think I'm going to get a Helix. Can't decide between Floor or Rack+Controller.

The decision is pretty much split between the convenience of having everything in a pedalboard weighed against the thought that having most of the value off the floor at the back of stages in a rack case is probably safer.

In hundreds of gigs I've done, my pedalboard has usually been fine but it *has* been kicked and walked on.

One practical question. When you go direct, do you let the soundguys plug their XLRs direct into the unit or do you take a DI box to go between? Just thinking a DI might provide an extra level of protection against wear and tear, broken mixers blasting voltage down the cable and ground loops...
  • Cirrus said:

The decision is pretty much split between the convenience of having everything in a pedalboard weighed against the thought that having most of the value off the floor at the back of stages in a rack case is probably safer.

In hundreds of gigs I've done, my pedalboard has usually been fine but it *has* been kicked and walked on.

One practical question. When you go direct, do you let the soundguys plug their XLRs direct into the unit or do you take a DI box to go between? Just thinking a DI might provide an extra level of protection against wear and tear, broken mixers blasting voltage down the cable and ground loops...
    I always take a DI box with me - the sound can get really nasty when the Helix XLRs get phantom power, and I don't trust the sound guys to get it right unless I know them.
    <space for hire>
  • Cirrus said:

I went rack, it’s much cooler and it means that people don’t think you’re using a zoom4040