Cars for gigging

What's Hot

Comments

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    Being a Tetris pro really helps. I manage to some how get 2 guitars in hardcases, a 2x12 cab, amp, pedal board in case and an amp stand into an R56 Mini with the rear seats down.

That aside, look for something which when the back seats go down gives a flat load space. In some cars the boot pan sits lower than the rear seats so you are left with a step when you put them down. I have this issue in my Mini, and although I get everything in, it would be much easier if it were flat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    p90fool said:
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

I'd go MPV rather than estate.  They are shorter and a lot easier to park.
    Not only a little shorter, but also quite a lot higher and usually have a shorter bonnet too, so not only are they easier to park (also partly helped by the higher driving position) but they're considerably bigger inside. Unless you're carrying an 8x10" bass cab the length isn't as useful as the height for packing in a lot of gear.
    I have all my guitar gear, the drums and the PA and a passenger in my Volvo and it's rammed to the ceiling. I would hate to go higher and shorter, I'm already paranoid enough about having an accident. 

I was hit head on by a car spinning onto my side of the road about eight years ago - we both walked away but I'd be dead if I'd had the band gear with me. 

We gig all winter in the hills of mid Wales and I know we wouldn't survive even a 50mph slide into a ditch on black ice with all that gear above and behind us - it's crazy really. 

Have you thought about one of those 'dog guard' frames just behind the front seats? It might reduce the threat a little if the headrests held back the loose stuff on top.
    I have the image in my head of my young brother rolling his vauxhall viva estate many years ago. The heavy bottle jack passed his head and exited the windscreen! Please don't try this at home.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    buy a van ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Just sold my RAV4 it was great for carrying gear. Replaced it with a freelander  2 which is bigger still but quite a bit less economical 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited June 2018
    Lamborghini Aventador - my ‘people’ move my gear.... 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    I had a Kia Carens for a while and it was great. Estate, but higher up so felt like halfway between one and an MPV.
    I managed to fit nearly a full PA (with 2 subs) and full guitar and bass stuff. It was an absolute Tank as well. Super reliable.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    Back in the day we used to fit 3 people 4 guitars two marshall combos and a bass combo into an MG Metro - no idea how we did that.

My most recent cars have been a BMW 3 Series Compact & a Merc C Class Coupe - so space has been a premium however i have still fitted a flightcased HRD, 2 guitars, full pa and another flightcase of bits in it.

Was recently given (a temporary) company car which is a Skoda Rapide so enjoying the massive boot. However i'm soon to receive an Audi A3 Etron - am a bit worried about how much boot space the batteries take up and what i'll be able to fit in there
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 650
    Honda CRV
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2341
    i have a citreon xsara piccaso, huge boot, tall as well, no tailgate lip, wide inside too, crap turning circle but plenty of room for stuff
  • voodoofuzzvoodoofuzz Frets: 10
    Ford Transit Connect would be my ideal.

Purposely made van hybrid with handy side door.

You can buy a cheap high mileage one (they run & run) and just use it for gigging!
  • VW T5 Sportline. All the gear + 5 people
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Used to fit so much in the boot/back seat of my Insignia - something about a hatchback that just makes it an endless chasm that would easily swallow a 2x12 cab and head, 2 PA speakers, active sub, stands, mixing desk, bags of cables, 2 guitars in cases and a load of lights.

Upgraded to an Audi A6 - not quite as much space and the sub wont fit regardless of how I try and angle it in.

Best by far is our singers' zafira - could probably fit my car in the back of that thing!!!!!

• Anyone tried to fit an Orange 4x12 in their car? May have to attempt to fit one into my Ford Fiesta tomorrow, last time I fit a Marshall 4x12 AND a bass amp into a 3 door VW Polo, but the dimensions of the 2 cars will be different.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I got a Kia Cee'd in the end. Thanks for the input.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited August 2018
    I concur that the older Volvo V70 was a beast and had the most comfortable seats around to get your arse home at 2am.  They have now moved to the none square back shape and can't fit nearly as much in...I bought a Merc E class but still doesn't hold what the V70 did
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • in my 2010 vw polo 1.2  if we can take seats out we can fit.
    hartke 4x10
    marshall super lead head
    magnatone twlighter.
    pa head
    x2 12x speakers
    x2 guitars (in gig bags)
    x1 bass (in a gig bag)
    x2 bags of leads etc
    fan..

or my rig and the drum kit if im not traveling with the bassist.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    PA, Lights, my rig, spare amp & 2x12 - fits easily into my Hyundai SantaFe (I'm on my 2nd).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    You're all wrong, all you need is a Scirocco Mk3, anything else is just flannel.

Its like a less practical Golf, its the same size, but with a smaller cabin, only 4 seats, an awkward shaped boot with high lip, huge doors for terrible access in car parks. The main thing though is that i haven't given in and bought an MPV with a roof rack and lunchbox on the roof, because thats the end of all hope. Also mine is a petrol, the 1.4 twin charger 160bhp, its economical enough and its not a hybrid, because hybrids are for saddos and hippies (and pensioners and doggers )