Voting for Composition Challenge 23

What's Hot
This is the combined Voting and Discussion thread.

Thanks to all that entered the competition.

Please use this thread to cast your votes for your favourite entries to Fretboard Challenge #23

VOTING AND DATES

Voting System - voters can pick their top 3 favourite entries.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

Entry with the most points wins.

Simply post in this thread your top three choices for winner in order, 1st choice first etc etc. 

(Note for Entrants of the competition: Self Voting is NOT Allowed)

Voting ends 11.30pm 14th September 2018, and the top three will be announced shortly after.

REMINDER OF GUIDELINES
The theme for this challenge is "Sounds Of The Summer". 

Interpret the theme as you wish. For example (as a couple of pointers), it could be summery sounding piece of music or you could include sounds related to the summer. The main thing is to get as many entrants as possible, so don't get too hung up on the theme if it's giving you problems. You might get a few more votes if your piece has some sort of link to the theme, but I think most people vote for the music anyway.

Each entrant has also provided a picture, which becomes a bit bigger if you click on the individual track in the Soundcloud playlist.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Kudos for @thecolourbox for adding vocals ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240 said:
    Kudos for @thecolourbox for adding vocals ;-)
    Lol erm restraint may have been better! Can ≠ Should

Loving the other entries, I think I have my favourite but they are all terrific so won't vote yet as I want to listen again a few times
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Ill kick it off then..

5 - @thecolourbox - really nice tune & melody, not sure where the Summer bit comes in !....
    3 - @Fretwired - Good mix, cool guitar work.
    1 - @stratman  - Summer holiday meets Madonna !...

Good work people.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    Ill kick it off then..

5 - @thecolourbox - really nice tune & melody, not sure where the Summer bit comes in !....
    3 - @Fretwired - Good mix, cool guitar work.
    1 - @stratman  - Summer holiday meets Madonna !...

Good work people.
    Ha well its about a rather dark period of mine a year ago, it was summer but my mood was very much winter. I'm also doing a "girlfriend friendly" version of this which uses the same sort of idea, except that now I'm past winter and into summer. Cause and effect, if you will, and the passage of time.

Pretentious :)

• 5 Points -  @stratman    -   Great percussion and overall vibe.

3 Points -  @spark240 ;  -   Cool Allman Brothers vibe.

1 Point  -     
    @thecolourbox - While I was waiting for some guitar I kind of bonded with the song.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    5 @fretwired - nice and relaxed...
    3 @spark240 - uplifting jangly guitar
    1 @stratman3142 -  nice chilled Mediterranean groove.

enjoyed listening to all of these this morning!..

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited September 2018
    I normally like to write a bit of a summary of my methods, inspirations, and any problems I had along the way. Although for this one it's such a simple construction there's probably not much to write... I'll do it anyway. If it should go in the other thread about it please let me know and I'll shift it over there.

Method:
    Piano is one of the acoustic piano models on my Yamaha MX49 keyboard, recorded through the USB interface into Cubase. Recorded stereo as I think it does some stereo wizardry in that the higher notes are louder on the right side, and lower notes louder on the left, like an actual piano. Reverb was from the MX49, but turned up a touch.

Intro (and last few chords) was done without metronome to give a more expressive feel to it. The rest was done with metronome as my solo timing is abysmal. Only did two takes of the piano.

Vocals were through my TC Voicelive as usual, on a Led Zep Whole Lotta Love preset. Recorded mono over a quick mixdown of the piano in Audacity, as I struggle with recording into Cubase (technical issues). Did about three takes of the main bit, settled on the 2nd one as that used a pop filter.

Tried to add more instruments (wanted xylophone to play the intro tune, mellotron strings or organ on the 2nd verse and chorus etc) but it just wouldn't fit. Probably because the piano was stereo and filled a lot of space maybe? So I just eq-ed the piano bass heavy and took a bit of bass of my voice.

Inspiration:
    Lyrically it's basically about me fessing something up to my missus last summer, and pretty much just wanting to end everything there and then. Not nice. The link with summer being that whilst it was summertime and I like this time of year normally, I was feeling very cold and very much in a dark season mentally. Happy to say that has since passed somewhat.

Musically, the first bit I had in my head was the "summer on my mind" bit, though I've later realised it's rather similar to the pre chorus of James Bay's Let It Go. Style-wise I wanted it to kind of sound like if Thom Yorke did a John Lennon cover.

The original words were "The sun doesn't shine when you're singing too high or too low", and other such crap just to get the tune nailed. I wanted to practice singing high and breathing quieter, so I deliberately used a vocal fx preset with a long reverb to force me to not snip between phrases to remove breathing as the reverb would just cut off.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just been listening on a rainy commute and that brightened it up. Great tunes all round. For me it's:

5 points for @thecolourbox - great song. The arrangement works really well with your voice 

3 points for @Fretwired - I enjoyed that a lot although I appear to have ended up buying a timeshare in the Algarve while listening 

1 point for @stratman3142 - nice uplifting summer holiday number with shameless plagiarism (watch you don't end up in court alongside the bbc)
  • All really good but here our my choices
    5 Points @spark240
    3 Points @stratman3142 ... more like Cliff meets Happy Mondays
    1 Point @thecolourbox Reminded me of Toy Story type film. Could have done with some guitar. More is less i guess :)

“Ken sent me.”
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    I enjoyed these, some chilled out stuff going on here.  Almost hypnotic, I'll admit one really stood out for me though so,

5 points @thecolourbox ... the Bowie-esque vocal, the piano, the mood, the everything.  Loved it!
    3 points @stratman3142 ... SEAGULLS!!! Weaving in crazy samples is becoming a bit of a trademark I feel, but in a good way!
    1 point @spark240 ... just a lovely sound

Well done all though, great work!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited September 2018
    Thanks for all the great entries and tunes/songs. I've voting largely on which ones most conjured up thoughts of summer in relation to the theme, otherwise my voting might have been a bit different. Also, the summer thing needs pretty obvious for my unsophisticated mind to get it.

5 points @Fretwired images of lazy summer beach holidays
    3 points @DulcetJones the sounds created images of heat waves rising from the road
    1 point @spark240 a very summery sounding piece and my favourite, when considered just as a piece of music

Special mention to @thecolourbox for a great song, but the summer sound wasn't obvious enough for me. I'm probably too insensitive to see it. 

It's not a competition.
  • Quality entries every one
    5 points - spark240
    3 points - thecolourbox
    1 point - stratman3142

! am glad i decided not to enter my own track called - "variations on the carlos santana secret chord progression summer love sensation mix"
  • A reminder that voting ends on Friday (14th September 2018) at 11.30pm.
    It's not a competition.
  • Voting closes tonight at 11.30pm.
    It's not a competition.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I could have sworn I'd voted ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    My choices based on the brief are as follows:

5 points to @stratman3142 - loved this track which hits the brief - Green era Mac meets Santana.

3 points to @spark240 - another track that hits the brief .. great for driving around Devon in an old British MG with the top down.

1 point to @thecolourbox - l also liked this track .. great vocals .. you should do more of this.

• My votes are...

@stratman 5 points. You had me at the ice cream van theme, genius

@spark240 3 points. Sounds like an outside festival song, like it

@fretwired 1 point. Liked the production

But @DulcetJones I really liked your's too so tough decision who to give points to
  • Voting closed.
    It's not a competition.
  • Lol I think my votes just did me out of some success there actually... Whoops. We are all winners though just for taking part, as corny as it sounds. Well done everybody
    Lol I think my votes just did me out of some success there actually... Whoops. We are all winners though just for taking part, as corny as it sounds. Well done everybody
    It's just a bit of fun .... you should do more tracks with vocals ... :-)