Incoming! Bucket List synth!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• That sounds great. Love it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Many years ago, I came *this* close to getting an OB-1. I had found a shop that had one, phoned up to reserve it, got the train/tube to Fulham, only to discover that the bastards had sold it fifteen minutes before I arrived.
    There are few, if any synths that I think sound better than those based on the SEM and I still feel a little bitter about it!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Many years ago, I came *this* close to getting an OB-1. I had found a shop that had one, phoned up to reserve it, got the train/tube to Fulham, only to discover that the bastards had sold it fifteen minutes before I arrived.
    There are few, if any synths that I think sound better than those based on the SEM and I still feel a little bitter about it!
    Funny you should resurrect this thread today...

i feel the same. My SEM is going back tomorrow.... and a Two Voice Pro is returning in its place. Utterly indulgent, but once I heard a single SEM in person, I had to have it. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Many years ago, I came *this* close to getting an OB-1. I had found a shop that had one, phoned up to reserve it, got the train/tube to Fulham, only to discover that the bastards had sold it fifteen minutes before I arrived.

i feel the same. My SEM is going back tomorrow.... and a Two Voice Pro is returning in its place. Utterly indulgent, but once I heard a single SEM in person, I had to have it. 
    Good man! :)

Whatever you do, DON'T click on the video where the GForce software guy plays an Oberheim 8.
  • goldtop said:
    Many years ago, I came *this* close to getting an OB-1. I had found a shop that had one, phoned up to reserve it, got the train/tube to Fulham, only to discover that the bastards had sold it fifteen minutes before I arrived.

Good man! :)

Whatever you do, DON'T click on the video where the GForce software guy plays an Oberheim 8.
    Hahaha, already watched! 
    And that is a total killer. I completely agree on the sound thing; jaw dropping. 
  • Funny you should resurrect this thread today ... My SEM is going back tomorrow ... and a Two Voice Pro is returning in its place. Utterly indulgent, but once I heard a single SEM in person, I had to have it. 
    Three weeks! I tried to warn you. :)
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Funny you should resurrect this thread today ... My SEM is going back tomorrow ... and a Two Voice Pro is returning in its place. Utterly indulgent, but once I heard a single SEM in person, I had to have it. 
    Three weeks! I tried to warn you. :)
    Hahahaha, yep I know, I know. Had to have one. Simply the best sounding synth I’ve heard, (The SEM) so this will undoubtedly be a true lifer 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    So many ways to work with it. You will disappear for days into the TVS. :)

With 4 VCOs you can create beautiful one-finger chords, too. The SEM sound is so rich that with the imperfections in tuning between notes and different amounts of LFO/EG on pitch or PWM for each oscillator, you needn't worry about "only" having a single VCO per voice in a 4-voice chord. I always found it a bit tricksy to tweak a semitone up/down with the VCO pitch knobs to get the major/minor variations, but it's possible.

And when you want 24dB/oct VCFing, you can cascade the two SEMs. Or set the two VCFs in series but with different envelopes/types.

And all this before reaching for any patch cables.

Not sure it Tom O has improved his comms yet, but if you need an OS update (and some are very useful - like being able to set the sequencer notes via the keyboard), you have to get in touch with the specifics of your TVS and computer OS. Bit of a faff.
  • Noted, cheers @goldtop. Should arrive tomorrow... can’t wait