Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• MankonisMankonis Frets: 16

Q1:  Where did your username come from?

Just my name/surname combined.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

Originally Lithuanian, now live in UK London.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

Basically to find shelter in music and forget everything around me. Too new in this to think about the band.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

Japanese Squier Strat, which is the first guitar I bought last year.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Jimi Hendrix - Castles made of sand.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Cheers gringo, and thanks Tony, I’ll look the events up.  I am of modest ability but am looking for opportunities to play with other players and neither Leicester or Huddersfield are out of reach when you don’t have to get up in the morning for work, woo hoo.
    We have a support service as well now @Guitartwin, so if you do sign up for a Jam we can help you get prepped and sorted ready for the event. There have been a lot of live debuts at the jams, and song choice ranges from "easy" to, er.. "bloody hell!!!"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Hi @Guitartwin, @Mankonis ;and @Skinnyhead45 I can thoroughly recommend the jams, I played with other people for the first time last year and it was awesome.  Wide range of abilities and really supportive/friendly atmosphere they are really taking off by the looks of it so should be opportunities nearish to all of you.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The jams sound like something I need to get involved in.   Thanks guys.
  • Bob_GnarlyBob_Gnarly Frets: 139
    Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Stole it from somewhere (probably), thought it was an amusing play on words as I play guitar and ride mountain bikes

Scotland, Edinburgh

Made my living from guitar for 20 years in one way or another, just play for fun now

My Patrick Eggle New York Standard 1991, bough it new and gigged it nearly to death. Don't play it much now but could never part with it.

Passenger - Riding to New York 

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • JuliusPuechJuliusPuech Frets: 17
    edited August 2018

Hello everyone, I'm Julien from Paris (France). Why a French boy in a British forum ? Because I'm a guitar addict, I love British pop rock & blues, and I love British (luthiers (SVL, Patrick James Eggle, French British-based Philippe Dubreuille...) !

It's the name of a character from a French post-apocalyptic / steampunk novel. 

Paris, France

Play for myself and with my friends

A Gibson ES-355 Cherry mono from 1967

Love in Vain - The Rolling Stones
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    Welcome @JuliusPuech - all are welcome here, but particularly French guitar addicts with a preference for British music & guitars!!
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    Welcome @JuliusPuech - all are welcome here, but particularly French guitar addicts with a preference for British music & guitars!!
    ;)
    Thanks TTony ;)
  • not_nevillenot_neville Frets: 3
    edited September 2018

I have the same name as a famous actor - so no I'm not_neville from Auf Wiedersehen Pet

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Just to get playing properly at home 7 years after some nasty injuries.

Musicman Cutlass HSS - but of course will change constantly

Story Of The Blues - Gary Moore

• Q1. My username came from a poem that used to be on my Nan's wall.

Q2. U.K, Wales.

Q3. To make money from producing music.

Q4. A mesa boogie studio 22+ -  beast.

Q5. Anemone by Brian Jonestown Massacre

• coltheoxcoltheox Frets: 28

My username comes from my nickname from my days of playing cricket (Yes, I did, and loved the game)

Come from England - St George and all that!

Musical ambitions? At my age, just to keep playing.

Best bit of gear - If allowed only one, my Vanquish Legend guitar. (If two, the 633 amp I use)

Which track? Hell, that's a difficult one! Probably 'Shine on.......' from Pink Floyd.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Q1:  No idea. I just made it up on the spot.

Q2:  'Ampshire

Q3:  Just to have fun with it still. I know after all these years I'm pretty useless.

Q4:  1988 Gibson SG. Purchased from Kingfisher Music in Fleet in the early 90's. Has what I believe is a PRS Chainsaw in the bridge. Reason for wanting an SG was memories of seeing Paul Samson supporting Gary Moore in the early 80's.

Q5:  Changes all the time but right now it has to be Ace of Spades. Just a perfect rock track.

• A belated introduction, my apologies!
    I’m Pete from Sheffield, UK.  Username is first name and initial of surname. My main musical ambition is just to keep steadily improving both guitar and vocals, enjoy the process and soak up and be inspired by all those hard working composers, songwriters, singers and instrumentalists who make the process worthwhile. My best bit of gear is a handmade Northworthy guitar made by the British Luthier Alan Marshall. I don’t have #1 ever track. I doubt ever will.  I find it impossible to decide, but here are few contenders:
    Bach: Goldberg Variations, Aria by Glen Gould
    John Coltrane: A Love Supreme: ‘Acknowledgment & Resolution’
    Radiohead: Fake Plastic Trees
    Nic Jones: Canadee I-O
    Eva Cassidy: Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Tommy Emmanuel: Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    June Tabor: The Writing of Tipperary / It's a Long Way to Tipperary
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from? My name (yes I know, not very original) 

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Hamburg, Germany

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To make music my life

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? My Gibson SG - she's a 2013 70's tribute in silverburst. 

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Blondie - One Way or Another

• Hi!

I'm a blues guy and a massive Howlin' Wolf fan. My band, Tim Aves & WOLFPACK plays the music of Wolf and other blues greats, alongside quite a bit of our own music. Never Saw Chester is a song I wrote, reflecting the fact that despite being a relatively old bastard (60 last week!) I was just too young to have seen the great man (real name Chester Arthur Burnett) play. It's also the title of our last album.

I live in Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex and my main musical ambition is to carry on playing the music I love for as long as I can. I sing reasonably well, play OK harmonica and pretty indifferent guitar, but I love guitars, tube amps and playing guitar - hence my appearance on this board.

I'm fortunate enough to have a ton of guitars, amps, pedals and other stuff, as well as a part share in a recording studio, which is finally just about finished (I've spent the last year or so as a builder!!!) and it's hard to single out one bit of gear from all these prized possessions.
    If I was pushed, I'd have to plump for the amazing Sherwood green metallic Strat my son, Owen, built me last year. He's an LA-based session guitarist and gigs and records with Strats and Teles he's built himself. (He's an amazing player - among other things, he plays guitar in Tal Wilkenfeld's band.) We spent ages choosing parts and plumped for an amazing lightweight MJT nitro finished alder body, a USACG roasted maple neck, Klein 62 pickups and Callaham hardware. It cost £1,000 in parts alone (it would have been £800, but the pound went down the toilet after the Brexit vote :( ) but was worth every penny. It's easily the best Strat I've ever played and sounds amazing, too.

Just the one song? Now that is truly impossible! 

Today I'm going for the wonderful greasy version of "Wang Dang Doodle" Wolf recorded with Clapton, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Stevie Watts et al on "The Howlin' Wolf" London sessions. Another day it could just as easily be something by SRV, T-Bone-Walker, Albert King, the Fabulous Thunderbirds, T-Bone Walker, Sonny Landreth, Steve Earle, Joe Ely, Ian Siegal or a hundred other amazing artists!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey, 

been told I should introduce myself.  I'll be totally honest and say my love for guitars has waned over the years and I'm definitely more of a keys player/beat maker these days, although I still like to play a little from time to time.  A big reason for this is working in music retail the last 4-5 years, all the loud guitar playing becomes peripheral noise after a while, and the last thing I want to do when I get home is listen to more guitars.  

Having said that I still cherish my 94 Telecaster, I just like to play it quietly, which brings me to my next point!  I'm selling my Marshall amp, the main reason for being here, as you can't use those quietly!  

I couldn't possibly name my favourite song ever, so I'll choose a song a friend of mine got me on to recently that I can't stop playing, which is "How Long" by Ace.  What a track!

Cheers

Greg

• How long has this being going on ace =)
  • Q1:  Not terribly cryptic - I'm Cornish and I'm called Lee.

Q2:  Currently in Northants, UK, commuting to Oxford.

Q3:  I think I've had ambitions beaten out of me.

Q4:  Mary, my cherry sunburst fotoflame strat. It was love at first sight with this guitar, when I first saw it in the pages of Guitarist. More years than I care to think about on from then, she still sounds as sweet as ever, although the finish is in need of some TLC.

Q5:  I have no idea. So, instead, I'll just mention that Mary is named after 'The Wind Cries Mary'. At the time, I was in a band that mainly did Hendrix covers.

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Q1: I think I've had better moments of creativity (although that's arguable). It's my initials plus, erm, the number 1.

Q2: Staffordshire, an exiled Brummie of many years.

Q3: I was a bass player, but hadn't played for years until I started taking playing (and collecting!) seriously a couple of years ago. Although it's only for my own amusement, to get better and better with old style jazz, blues, jump, etc

Q4: Tough one, because of the 'collecting' - there are a few that are very notable for a few reasons. Probably a 1956 ES-5 Switchmaster in some respects, but as an everyday player, an ES-345, or 335 Larry Carlton, or maybe an ES-295. For sweetness and quality, an Epiphone Elite Byrdland that is wonderful in every way.

Q5: I suppose the one song that still grabs me after many years is 'Why Did You Do It?', by Stretch - about 1975, I think.

Call me Dave.