Hipshot Bass Bridge

JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
Replaced the Gibson three point bridge with a Hipshot. Quite amazed at the difference it's made. Should mention that I changed the strings at the same time (from Pyramid flats to La Bella) which might partially account for the difference but.. sound is very different; more driven tone, sustain much improved. The Hipshot is not as big as the Babicz replacement and seems more in keeping with the design of the bass. Very impressed with it, a worthwhile upgrade.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’ve got a set of hipshot tuners (proper, not licensed by) with a drop d tuner and they are excellent as well
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    That looks very nice. Probably the best choice for my possible Epiphone Rivoli project, if I ever do that - normally it wouldn't work on a Rivoli or EB-2 because the intonation point of the original bridge is in line with the two rear posts, but if I have to make a new neck for it anyway, and it will be a fretless... then it can be anywhere it likes!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    That looks very nice. Probably the best choice for my possible Epiphone Rivoli project, if I ever do that - normally it wouldn't work on a Rivoli or EB-2 because the intonation point of the original bridge is in line with the two rear posts, but if I have to make a new neck for it anyway, and it will be a fretless... then it can be anywhere it likes!
    You’re making it fretless?

Sweet Jesus don’t ever post pics of it here when it’s done.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    My logic is, given that it needs a new neck making, why spend a huge amount of time and effort - and money, since I don’t do finish work - to end up with something you can just buy? Far better to take the opportunity and make something which *should* have existed, but never did... like a medium-scale fretless Rivoli :).

The original bridge is also missing, and since they were crap, I don’t want to pay a ‘vintage’ price to replace it - the problem is that it’s a unique part which doesn’t have a modern equivalent. The 3-post bridge doesn’t fit because the intonation point is 3/4” further forward... but if you make it an unlined fretless, that doesn’t matter at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    ICBM said:
    My logic is, given that it needs a new neck making, why spend a huge amount of time and effort - and money, since I don’t do finish work - to end up with something you can just buy? Far better to take the opportunity and make something which *should* have existed, but never did... like a medium-scale fretless Rivoli :).

Sounds like a good idea. I'm finding medium scale (32.5 in this case) is a good choice for fretless, esp if it's unlined, as it fits my hand size well. I tried a fretless Ric for a few days but the added length made getting good intonation much more difficult. With the medium scale, the in tune notes fall naturally under my four finger span in a very comfortable way. (which doesn't stop me frequently getting it horribly wrong).
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    hipshot tuners (proper, not licensed by) 
    Proper - good.
    Licensed by - made of cheese. 
    Be seeing you.