Q418C Poopot jnr...

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
edited October 2018 in Making & Modding
Ok... first off... I am ruling myself out of the voting part of this challenge... but... I will be with you all in spirit!!!!

Ive previously put together my fair share of partscaster (3 this year alone)... I’ve even done a cheapo Chinese set neck les Paul in recent years... here it is:

Ditched everything but the body and neck on that one... gave it to my son just yesterday!!!!

in addition to guitars, I’ve built a lot of pedals from kits and also scratch built more than a few... fuzz face for example.

Ive also built some blinding guitar amps from kits and again from scratch!...

my 18watt 2x10

A very moddified bassman in a 3x10 pine cab.

So... I’m now sort of past kits, parts and components...

So... what to do?... never built anything from scratch... so a “kit” of sorts has been acquired...

the aim is to turn this:

Into one of these:

As its going to be a build from scratch, like I said, no voting for me... but, I am the most ham fisted gibbon on the face of the planet so it could very well be entertaining at least...

seriuosly, what is the worst that can happen?

Hope dats all ok?...
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The tidy wiring in those pedals and amps would suggest you're not as ham fisted as you make out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 250
    I'm sure it will be great looking at past projects!
    Just an idea...
    https://imgur.com/a/AV56kAl
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    enjo said:
    I'm sure it will be great looking at past projects!
    Just an idea...
    https://imgur.com/a/AV56kAl
    Funnily enough, years ago I put that on a Westfield lespaul that had a open book headstock!... fooled so many people!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    build the guitar it would be pretty cool.. then build a BE100 to go with it!!
    100watt?????? Who needs that much :)
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    100watt?????? Who needs that much :)
    ok, 50w or even 20w.. but it has a master volume.

to be fair that JNR just needs your 18w cranked up to be majic
    Right, so as the start of the challenge is looming, I’ve popped over to @customkits workshop hidden away in the depths of leafy Surrey, to make a start on the “kit”...

however, seeing as I am a complete novice when it comes to building from scratch and using to tools that go with that, Darren has got me practicing on something less expensive than big chunks of mahogany!...

so.... today boys and girls... I am mostly practicing on making a tele body from 100year old pine from a church... mostly!..,

first up is the glued up bit of pine:

First job with this is to clean up the glue joint:

Then, and minding fingers, stuff it through the sander thicknesser:

Half hour laters and we are here: (outside having a smoke to be honest) :)

Still got all my fingers and no one has died, so a good start!!!!
    Ok, more from today...

tele shape (yes I know it’s a LP build but I’m practicing) marked out on the prepped pine.

Handome f£&ker hard at work on the bandsaw:

Tele shape roughed out by said hamdsome chap:

Template fixed ready for final shape with the router:

And then it all all went south really quite fast...

the router grabbed the pine and flung it across the workshop, swear words were shouted, pants were pooped, and the end grain ruined!...

see, this is why I’m not allowed the expensive wood yet!!!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice workshop though. Mine looks more like a dining room. Probably cos it is. Our will be, if I dare ask my wife for permission.
    Nice workshop though. Mine looks more like a dining room. Probably cos it is. Our will be, if I dare ask my wife for permission.
    It’s not my workshop unfortunately...

been down the “build guitars in the kitchen” route aswell... didn’t end well at all :)
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    Nice workshop though. Mine looks more like a dining room. Probably cos it is. Our will be, if I dare ask my wife for permission.
    It’s not my workshop unfortunately...

been down the “build guitars in the kitchen” route aswell... didn’t end well at all :)
    looks like it didn't end well today too, was that a pin router that threw your body across the room?

Routers are great, until the completely cock up  good piece of wood in a hurry.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    looks like it didn't end well today too, was that a pin router that threw your body across the room?

No i didn't let him loose on that beast, it's set up for les pauls at the moment, i actually prefer the pin router it gets used for virtually all my machine work
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)

No i didn't let him loose on that beast, it's set up for les pauls at the moment, i actually prefer the pin router it gets used for virtually all my machine work
    I think I’m now relegated back to sand paper and elbow grease :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    poopot said:

I think I’m now relegated back to sand paper and elbow grease
    Don't worry it'll all be fine and the one that got the tear out will probably be a big old purple sparkle now, everything happens for a reason apparently not that i believe that crap

Round 2 is waiting 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Right then...

round two!...

tear out on the tele body glue with dust etc, should be salvageable!...

Template on blank number 2... see if I can’t balls this one up as well :)

• Don't forget those safety goggles, you've already got one dodgy eye :fearful: 

Body number two shapes on the pin router... all fingers intact, slight cut on head (don’t ask) but no one is mortally wounded and we have the start of a tele.... a step closer to being let loose on the expensive wood!!!!!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    Nice Mr Pot, is this getting finished/built all the way, before the Jnr?
    Corvus said:
    Nice Mr Pot, is this getting finished/built all the way, before the Jnr?
    Not sure... possibly, have to ask mr @customkits that one... I’m just busy trying not to break stuff :) 
    tFB Trader
    I think the plan is get @poopot to do the body routes on the tele first then make a start on the junior

I need to pick up more wood next week and will probably pick up a cheaper body blank, I've got the rest for the build

Believe it or not i haven't actually made templates for a single cut junior so guess who'll be making that, I'm busy  =)
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)