Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So... what about Jet City?

What's Hot

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    As a bit of an update on my utterly ludicrous worthy quest for a 20HV, I've been in touch with the UK JC store and they have apologised but they're not expecting any more new amps in until November at best due to some production snafu. It's a shame: I'd prefer to buy from them rather than Thomann, but I'm an impatient bugger. 

Do I need one? Nope (A Blues Deluxe and a 22 Custom are already complete overkill for a front room warrior like me). 
    Am I likely to get one: hell yes. 

GAS strikes me with the same predictability of one of those Icelandic geysers. My attacks may not be every 9 minutes like the famous one there, but about every 4 months I feel compelled to lust after some bit of kit or another...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Recently bought the JCA20HV from Thomann. The UK site is out of stock until November!
    Went for the HV as I was concerned the standard 20 and 22 might be a bit too high gain . The HV does fantastic classic rock and great driven clean sounds. Also which cleans up nicely using the guitars volume.Something I wasn't expecting given its only 20w . I have also found it can stay pretty clean if needed even in a band setting.
  • How big is the head? Is it narrower than, say, an Orange PPC 1X12. I heard it's a big head? Hmmm, this or the Pro Junior............ GAS
  • How big is the head? Is it narrower than, say, an Orange PPC 1X12. I heard it's a big head? Hmmm, this or the Pro Junior............ GAS
    Nah they're not big, 64 x 31 x 32 cm (after a google search).

All the JC 20 watt heads are the same size. I have the HV and Custom 22.
  • Can't justify having this and a pro junior down the line. Or can I....
    Can't justify having this and a pro junior down the line. Or can I....
    If I can justify having a 40w Blues Deluxe, a Custom 22 and a 20HV (and given enough time I can come up with some very convincing reasons why I must have all three), then yes you can. Just put your mind to it.

;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    edited September 2018
    I have a JCA20HV and 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12 cab for rock gigs and a princeton for pop gigs and jam nights. Love both setups
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    newi123 said:
    I have a JCA20HV and 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12 cab for rock gigs and a princeton for pop gigs and jam nights. Love both setups
    I wish you were a bit closer to me than North Wilts. I'm really keen to have a play about on a 20HV to confirm that I need one in my life...

• Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 603
    Necrothread.

What is the experience with the Jet City own brand cabs and factory fit speakers? The Thomann bundles with the 20 Watt heads and 1x12 and 2x12 speaker cabs do seem rather appealing as the amps themselves seem well liked. I have always missed my old Marshall JCM900.......
  • Jetsam1 said:
    Necrothread.

What is the experience with the Jet City own brand cabs and factory fit speakers? The Thomann bundles with the 20 Watt heads and 1x12 and 2x12 speaker cabs do seem rather appealing as the amps themselves seem well liked. I have always missed my old Marshall JCM900.......
    I really like the own-brand speakers, although they're quite modern-sounding which isn't to everyone's taste. I don't think they work as well in a 1x12" as they do in the bigger cabs, though.
    <space for hire>
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 603
    Jetsam1 said:
    Necrothread.

I really like the own-brand speakers, although they're quite modern-sounding which isn't to everyone's taste. I don't think they work as well in a 1x12" as they do in the bigger cabs, though.
    If I can get away with it the 20 HV (the more vintage voiced one?) looks right up my alley. Pair it with a Fender Super X2 and that should cover everything I would think of to play. If I want gain I have a Tubescreamer! And that is the only pedal I ever really use. They do vertical 2x12s!!!! Ooh.......
  • There's a second hand 22H in my local music shop for almost nothing and I've been looking for a lower wattage amp for home use (have a Mesa Boogie Solo 50 head which is crazy loud) and I am so tempted!

I realise 20 watt is still loud, but should be a "bit" more reasonable.

Any thoughts on the 22H from owners?

• There's a second hand 22H in my local music shop for almost nothing and I've been looking for a lower wattage amp for home use (have a Mesa Boogie Solo 50 head which is crazy loud) and I am so tempted!

I don't have one now (having moved to the Helix), but if I'm honest I think the 50H is actually better for home use - the volume control is much less of a hair-trigger at the low end. The 22H is much harder to get down to home volumes, which seems odd but is totally true (I've had three of them).

As a gigging amp, though, I much prefer the 22H. Easily enough headroom even for metal, with more gain on tap and a better effects loop.
    <space for hire>

I don't have one now (having moved to the Helix), but if I'm honest I think the 50H is actually better for home use - the volume control is much less of a hair-trigger at the low end. The 22H is much harder to get down to home volumes, which seems odd but is totally true (I've had three of them).

As a gigging amp, though, I much prefer the 22H. Easily enough headroom even for metal, with more gain on tap and a better effects loop.
    Ok thanks. Good to know. May have to try it and see.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    I’ve got one of the older combos, the single channel 20 watter with reverb. It’s great, the only thing I wish was that the bottom end was a bit fatter. I’ve got an Eminence Private jack in mine although the stock speaker was fine to begin with.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • I’ve got one of the older combos, the single channel 20 watter with reverb. It’s great, the only thing I wish was that the bottom end was a bit fatter. I’ve got an Eminence Private jack in mine although the stock speaker was fine to begin with.
    Yeah...I'm convinced that these amps need a minimum of 2x12" to sound "right". It's not that they sound bad with a single speaker, they just have more when more air is being pushed.
    <space for hire>
    In the end, a combination of Jet City UK being out of stock and opportunistic GAS meant that my 20HV plans have (almost, maybe, probably) been permanently iced. 

I got the Marshall Origin 20H wot was on the classy frieds recently  B)

• Anyone know the difference between the new and older 22h ??
  • Anyone know the difference between the new and older 22h ??
    Cosmetic only, as far as I know....?
    <space for hire>
  • Well, I picked up the one from my local music shop. Turn out it was the Custom 22H, so I'm even more pleased with the value for money. It really does sound great - a huge sound (which suits me as I play distorted in the main).

Looking forward to trying it in the band environment now.