Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Q418 CHALLENGE - Build an item of Musical Equipment from a Kit.

What's Hot

Comments

• I'll be googling some to find a shruti kit....
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    WezV said:
    poopot said:
    I’m in... sort of
    well are you in or out?   I suppose if you get Darren to do a bit more you could call it a kit ;)
    already been told I have to practice on something less valuable than mahogany :)

Should be a giggle at least.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    poopot said:
    WezV said:
    poopot said:
    I’m in... sort of
    well are you in or out?   I suppose if you get Darren to do a bit more you could call it a kit ;)
    already been told I have to practice on something less valuable than mahogany :)

And that’s why we are doing this, so I am not going to worry too much about the definition of “kit”.

Although I would practice on mahogany. I did when I was given 6 guitars worth of old stock Honduran about 16 years ago. :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9981
    tFB Trader
    Can we get a kit from wherever we want? I want to do a Tele with a maple fretboard, the Thomann one appears to be rosewood only.

I would also offer a harness of choice into the prize pot.

Nice to see another trade member on the bandwagon ... 
    I'm thinking of making the oil city prize a bit special ... I only have enough of the gorgeous red winding wire that I make my clear bobbin 'Afterburner' Blackbirds with to make about a half dozen more sets ... I might never get that colour again ... especially as it was a special import ... so how do folks feel about a set of super limited edition Afterburner blackbirds ... as fitted to the Carillion in my previous image or this one? 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yes please!!!

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9981
    tFB Trader
    Right ... then the Oil City prize is a pair of Limited edition Masterwound Blackbird Afterburners ... leg length and conductors to the winners preference ... and if you want em for a multi scale I'll slant em for you :-) 
    Can't say fairer than that.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    WezV said:
    poopot said:
    WezV said:
    poopot said:
    I’m in... sort of

And that’s why we are doing this, so I am not going to worry too much about the definition of “kit”.

Although I would practice on mahogany. I did when I was given 6 guitars worth of old stock Honduran about 16 years ago. :)
    Think I’m getting training foam! :) 
  • I’m basically building a set of fretless bass electronics from scratch (well, that’s how it feels :) ) does that count?
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    I've got two things I'd like to build, but neither involve kits. Plus I've still not finished the last challenge :-/

I do however keep looking at pedal kits...
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader

Question, is the definition of the kit in this challenge, meaning all the parts come in one box, or can the parts be purchased wherever?

Do you need any more prizes to encourage more members to participate in this challenge? If not, this challenge the next.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

The brief is:
    *build an item of musical equipment from a kit
    * entertain us

im not going to go crazy on rules.

I will try to word the vote so people consider if someone stuck to the brief or not.

parts or scratch builds push the first brief a bit far, but you might get away with it if you do really well on the second brief.

its mainly for fun.  additional prizes are very welcome.... but save some for the money making raffles
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I was really hoping we would draw in a few pedal builders with this one too?

Loads of options at Fuzzdog

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Newest_additions/cat847125_4101734.aspx

Or a surfy bear spring reverb?

https://www.surfyindustries.com/surfybear-pcb-diy-kit-faceplate

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    WezV said:

I was really hoping we would draw in a few pedal builders with this one too?

Loads of options at Fuzzdog

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Newest_additions/cat847125_4101734.aspx

Or a surfy bear spring reverb?

https://www.surfyindustries.com/surfybear-pcb-diy-kit-faceplate

Now, that's something that I hadn't really considered.

It can't be hard to make a pedal, right?  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    I has half expecting someone to  build a cable from a solderless kit as part of this challenge.... if they make it entertaining enough they could still win
    Here's what's probably a dumb question ...

What's to stop something like this (with battery, obvs), being built into a guitar?

Capture.JPG 37.1K
    Not much, but onboard effects are rarely as practical as a pedal
  • I've made lots of pedals from kits, but I guess it only counts if I do it for this challenge?
  • @TTony @WezV ;
    I'm pretty certain I saw such a thing earlier this week when I was researching pickups. I'm gonna trawl through my browser history to see if I can work out where it was.
    WezV said:
    Not much, but onboard effects are rarely as practical as a pedal
    But I don't use pedals ... whereas a guitar with an effect (or two, or three) on-board would be fine
    ;)