Muting noise coming through the amp :/

This is only something I’ve noticed today, and its bugging me! 

I recently aquired a Fender tele, though I may well have the problem on my other guitars too..

I was playing a little repeating type solo, the intro part to the first Master of Puppets solo, so had a lot of gain on the amp too. Its basically a bunch of notes on the high E and B strings.

So while I’m picking that my palm is resting on the rest of the strings around the bridge area to keep them muted. 

But as I’m picking, my palm moves, because obviously my wrist moves with my picking actions. This movement, while keeping the unwanted strings from ringing out, makes a whooshing/scraping kind of noise. 

Like if you rest your hand gently on open strings but not hard enough to fret any and slide it up and down, that kind of effect. 

Basically string squeak. 

As I’m picking and the movement being short and staccato like, it sounds like a chopper. Once heard was very hard to un-hear! 

I’ve noticed I hear my pick attack through the amp when using other guitars, but not excess ‘string squeak’ from the picking hand! 

Any tips?
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Could you record a clip to show what you mean?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    What amp is it? A friend of mine had a similar sort of problem with a Mesa Rectoverb, in the Modern High-Gain mode... it's because that mode turns off the negative feedback (damping, in un-technical terms) in the power amp, so it becomes resonant. That's what makes that huge chunky 'Recto' sound, but it also makes the amp resonate *after* a staccato palm-muted chord, and 'whoosh' or 'boom'. (It was most noticeable on an A, if it matters.)

It drove him nuts until we identified the problem, and in the end I modified the amp by adding a control so he could add back just enough negative feedback to kill the resonance, without changing the tone too much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    What amp is it? A friend of mine had a similar sort of problem with a Mesa Rectoverb, in the Modern High-Gain mode... it's because that mode turns off the negative feedback (damping, in un-technical terms) in the power amp, so it becomes resonant. That's what makes that huge chunky 'Recto' sound, but it also makes the amp resonate *after* a staccato palm-muted chord, and 'whoosh' or 'boom'. (It was most noticeable on an A, if it matters.)

It drove him nuts until we identified the problem, and in the end I modified the amp by adding a control so he could add back just enough negative feedback to kill the resonance, without changing the tone too much.
    Was he using a noise gate?

I don’t remember ever being annoyed by that with my Roadster, but maybe I just didn’t think it was a problem
  • JockoJocko Frets: 24
    A Noise Gate would be what I would use.