Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Low-ball offers not worthy of comment

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10644
edited September 2018 in Off Topic
What’s the highest offer that you would consider as low-ball on a 2nd-hand item you advertised for £2300 - ie so low that it doesn’t even warrant a reply?
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    edited September 2018
    Depends what it is and how desirable it is, if it’s something that’s unusual and hard to shift then fire away at sub £2k
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited September 2018
    £1499 - but it really depends on what you're selling and how much you realistically want for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Standard tFB low ball offers are, I believe, measured in Jaffa Cakes rather than pounds? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    I would say anything below about £1800 is a bit cheeky, unless it's badly overpriced at £2300. I'm assuming you've priced it at that because you genuinely know it's worth more than £2K...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    Really depends on how well priced the item is and how in demand it is. But similar to @ICBM 20% below asking price is fair enough. As an aside, I made a ‘low ball’ offer for an amp recently, then did some further research and offered more, the seller met me somewhere in the middle and we made a deal. The point being sometimes a number is just a starting point. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited September 2018
    Ok but if the ‘buyer’ offered, say, 78% (£1800) then 83% then 85%; is ok just to refuse every offer with no feedback or comment? The offers have been made on the internet so can just be declined. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    I would reply. He's probably not lowballing with no real interest like some people do, if he's raised the offer twice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I would reply. He's probably not lowballing with no real interest like some people do, if he's raised the offer twice.
    You’re probably right
  • Hahaha, I agree roughly with the statements above regarding an acceptable starting point. You guys want to try selling stuff in the Middle East though, whatever you list it for you'll get a million messages asking for last price, followed by an offer of around 20% of your asking price. Then multiple followup messages when you don't reply instantaneously! Often times you are then characterized as a greedy westerner sat like Rockefeller on your diamond encrusted cushions, just because you won't acquiesce to their "fair" offer, it's a nightmare I tells thee. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d message him back, thanking him for his interest and stating that you will not sell below £x - but if he’s prepared to pay this, you’d be very happy to sell to him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
    Always reply and try not to get offended. It’s not about the initial offer it’s all about agreeing on a price both parties are happy with which may or may not happen. There is far less chance of it happening if you don’t reply though. I had a 1970 Martin D28 for sale at £2500 and was offered £1500 and eventually the guy paid £2200 cash. So even if the first offer is way below asking price it doesn’t always mean the buyer is not genuine or prepared to pay a reasonable price
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    viz said:
     is ok just to 
    I think this is an odd question - there are no rules - do as you wish - if you want a conversation, talk to him, if you don't, don't. If you have a minimum price in mind, consider sharing it with him
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    edited September 2018
    If they do it with style like Terry Tibbs...

edited September 2018
    I should just clarify, I’m the buyer. The item is BIN or best offer. Anyway, it’s his / her prerogative to answer or not - I agree with Mr. O; I just would have liked some discussion with the seller because I’d quite like to have bought the item - but now I can’t make any more offers. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Interesting that Reverb have a setting that automatically declines offers at or below 64% of asking price, stating that this is the threshold for serious buyers. Implying lower isn't serious.

• GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    Always be friendly, dispassionate, businesslike. you'll never lose a genuine opportunity to transact.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Ah I see - sorry to say I think you've shot yourself in the foot - you offered less than you think it's worth and less than you were prepared to pay. Could have initiated a conversation surely? 

A buyer wants THAT item,a seller just needs any buyer with the money - it's usually to the buyer's interest to strike up a dialogue 
    Red ones are better. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    TBH, I'm not so much bothered about the amount, it's the way it's presented. The 'best price delivered?' with no 'Hi' or any attempt to be a tiny bit polite pisses me off more than a lowball offer. 
  • I take low ball offers (and sometimes make them) as a start of negotiations. After a bit of too-ing and fro-ing I find agreement is often reached. So I’d never take offence by what someone offered me. If the seller is desperate to sell who knows,so always worth a punt. 
  • When people ask me "What is your best price?", I've started replying "Something more than you're prepared to pay". 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom