Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Q418 CHALLENGE - Build an item of Musical Equipment from a Kit.

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    Matt_McG said:
    I've made lots of pedals from kits, but I guess it only counts if I do it for this challenge?
    Yup.  Time to build another?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    I'm tempted by a Fuzzdog Emperor kit, but not sure I can justify the cost. Also fancy their Analog Bit Crusher, but it looks a bit easy.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    m_c said:
    ... Analog Bit Crusher, but it looks a bit easy.
    You could experiment with the finishing and labelling.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m definitely in for a pedal kit or two. Just need to work out what
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    m_c said:
    I'm tempted by a Fuzzdog Emperor kit, but not sure I can justify the cost. Also fancy their Analog Bit Crusher, but it looks a bit easy.
    I wouldn’t worry about easy.  

Showing how you put together an “easy” kit will still be entertaining for a good portion of the forum.   

You can add some additional challenge with things like the finish or enclosure, or modding the circuit if it’s something you are interested in.

this challenge is not about technical proficiency 
    It’s worth noting that I am not going out of my way to define “kit” or “entertaining”

some will go purely for the humour, some will go for pretty pictures,  others might go technical and in-depth to create entertainment.  

You have the brief... do whatever it inspires you to do.  

You can interpret the brief however you like, just be aware the voters will have to accept your interpretation if you want to win.

WezV said:
    m_c said:
    I wouldn’t worry about easy.  

Showing how you put together an “easy” kit will still be entertaining for a good portion of the forum.   

You can add some additional challenge with things like the finish or enclosure, or modding the circuit if it’s something you are interested in.

this challenge is not about technical proficiency 

I like to challenge myself though!
    However, I may have a plan brewing, involving finishing, modding, and flashy things...
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    If anyone needs lacquer, and would care to buy it from me, voucher code FBQ418 applies a 10% discount.

https://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/shop/
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    OK, I'm in..
    Stretching the "kit" element in as much as sourcing parts myself to form my own "kit" to build a guitar......
    I already have several left over parts that need using up although I really have no need for another bloody guitar as I already have too many.....but as everyone knows, you can't have too many!

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

If anyone needs lacquer, and would care to buy it from me, voucher code FBQ418 applies a 10% discount.

https://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/shop/
    Awesome, thank you very much.

It might even count as a finishing kit if someone was to buy a few times and some consumables from you ;)
  • OK, I'm in on a pedal build.

I've just started building: https://aionelectronics.com/project/l5-preamp/ ;    - although I'm not sure if it counts as a kit, I bought the board from Aion and used their Mouser ordering thing to order the components as a single order.

If I'm doing something else (because that's not 'kit' enough) ...

need to decide what. It's hard to work up enthusiasm about another drive or distortion, although, that said, I'm still not 100% satisfied with every gain possibility I have, so maybe a Wampler Euphoria or Paisley Drive clone, a Katzenkonig, or something in the high gain area (Triple Wreck clone, or similar).

If I was mental: https://aionelectronics.com/project/blueshift-dimension-c-chorus/

Musikding have a kit for that, although I'd need to bias the BBDs by ear, as I don't have an oscilloscope. 

• Although I notice that the Blueshift/Dimension-C kit from Musikding doesn't include a pre-drilled enclosure, which is a PITA. I have a suitable 125B sitting, though.
  • Matt_McG said:
    OK, I'm in on a pedal build.

I've just started building: https://aionelectronics.com/project/l5-preamp/ ;    - although I'm not sure if it counts as a kit, I bought the board from Aion and used their Mouser ordering thing to order the components as a single order.

If I'm doing something else (because that's not 'kit' enough) ...
    I think that is 'kit' enough.
  • Excellent. 
    A kit has been purchased. The kit may not make up much of the final item, but I'm starting with a kit.
    I'll start a thread once bits arrive, but I'm going more for the 'because I can' not 'because it'll be good' approach.. :)
  • FlametopFlametop Frets: 52
    edited September 2018

Those pickups would look absolutely awesome in this:

https://i.imgur.com/NktSQz2.jpg

Therefore, I am in

Can anyone recommend a small, cheapish amp kit? I've fancied having a go at one for a while.

• @Matt_McG that L5 quite a spectacular looking thing. I didn't even know it existed.  I fancy something similar for an interesting pedal build.

I'd actually really like to try an amp kit, but everytime I look at somewhere like Mojotone I end up looking at Deluxe Reverbs, and they're listed as "4/5" difficulty and not a good first-time amp build, so I get scared.. A Princeton Reverb could be a little easier, but I'm less keen on the amp itself.

I'm very keen on insights from anyone who has done any amp builds..??
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • @stickyfiddle yeah, I have done some fairly gnarly builds, this will probably be the 15th or something. Nothing as big as this though, and previously I’ve used labels but this time I want to use a proper transfer. I’d love to see if the L5 and a little pedal power amp makes a decent rig.
  • @stickyfiddle speak to @Modulus_Amps he was really happy to go through things with me and talked about difficulty etc. I suspect once you made a choice he'd also support you - if you were building one of his amp kits anyway.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    @stickyfiddle speak to @Modulus_Amps he was really happy to go through things with me and talked about difficulty etc. I suspect once you made a choice he'd also support you - if you were building one of his amp kits anyway.
    Thanks @roundthebend

If you have never built an amp a Deluxe reverb would be a big undertaking, as would a princeton reverb , unless you can get someone to help you through the process and check what you are doing along the way.
    It is not the dangers of high voltage I would be concerned with really, just that the task would be too big and it would never be finished, or would be rushed and finished poorly.

I am going to be building a princeton reverb in October, so will put lots of photo's up on my facebook page when I do so it you wanted to follow that to see what is involved.