NdPD.

New digital Piano Day.

I've wanted a decent piano for years but the climate here in Singapore is simply not condusive to having one.
You'd need regular tuning and a dehumidifier for when the aircon is off and a humidifier for when it is on- it is a major pain in the ass.

So as a compromise I purchased a digital upright piano- a Yamaha CLP-685 Clavinova in black walnut.
Excellent action- feels like a proper piano, nice heavy weight keys in the bass and lighter weight in the top end.
Sounds great, has loads more than just piano sounds (EP, clav, organ etc) and you can use the 300w speaker system as a bluetooth destination.

Looks like this:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Cool - which piano engine is it in there? Can you run MIDI out of it to your synths/modules?

I can't justify the space for a standalone piano, so I've got an old Oberheim 88-key controller plugged into my Yamaha Montage for piano duties. There's definitely something rewarding about playing piano tones from a properly weighted keyboard. It's a bit like playing guitar with heavier strings - you've got to work for the tone.

(PS: I always thought Singapore was overcrowded tight for space, but you seem to be living in a huge loft with ample space for toys! I imagined you'd have a desk covered in those Boutique and Volca thingies.)

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    goldtop said:
    Cool - which piano engine is it in there? Can you run MIDI out of it to your synths/modules?

I can't justify the space for a standalone piano, so I've got an old Oberheim 88-key controller plugged into my Yamaha Montage for piano duties. There's definitely something rewarding about playing piano tones from a properly weighted keyboard. It's a bit like playing guitar with heavier strings - you've got to work for the tone.

(PS: I always thought Singapore was overcrowded tight for space, but you seem to be living in a huge loft with ample space for toys! I imagined you'd have a desk covered in those Boutique and Volca thingies.)

It is the CFX engine + binaural.
    Has midi in/out/thru + USB.

Singapore is weird- it isn't a big place but most places are 20+ storeys high.
    What it means is the rooms are actually larger, and a lot larger than in the UK, but you usually have fewer of them.
    My studio is 5m x 4m and I have a separate 'drum room' (the study) for an e-kit and a very understanding wife who doesn't mind me using the two rooms that are not the one we sleep in to put all my music stuff in. It was  basically the only way I was going to move here.

I don't have any of the Volca's or Boutique devices- they are on the list to check out but I'm getting into the Eurorack thing more and more. It is addictive.

I have an 88 note master controller in the studio- the ePiano is in the dining room.
    I wanted to have something separate from the studio space that I can just turn on and play- mostly to keep my reading chops up.
    Also Mrs Oct can play it with headphones (she is learning) without getting nervous her 'serious musician' husband is judging her. :)

If I need to connect it to the studio then I can just run one ethernet cable and connect my Focusrite X2P to it and get two channels of line level or mic preamps and a headphone mix, remote controlling the DAW transport with my iPhone or iPad.
    It is nifty.