RGD Washburn USA - No R9's in this thread!

What's Hot
John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
edited September 2018 in Guitar
Refurbished Guitar Day - paint by  @lamf68 ;;;

My old Washburn USA that's done loads of gigs with me back in the day suffered a broken truss rod years ago, probably the cost effective thing to do would be to use it for parts, but it had some sentimental value so off it went to Nigel Roberts for a new truss rod. 

Nige made a great job of fitting the truss rod which involved removing the fingerboard, but the quick lick of aerosol amber nitro on top of the damaged poly didn't look great.  The body too was pretty shabby, lots of dings and generally scruffy in its original dark blue.

@lamf68 to the rescue with a full strip and refinish in orange flake.  I've had a few guitars painted by Rich, so expected it to be good, but given the condition he got it in I wasn't expecting miracles.  Well miracles is what I got, it looks brand new!  The neck has been refinished gloss on the fingerboard and satin on the back.  Absolutely stunning work.

A full rewire and bolted back together, it plays and sounds  as well as I remember so it's back from the dead and will be back on the road again.  Couldn't be happier

Only non-original part on there is a new push in Floyd arm from @FelineGuitars ;;

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    That looks awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks awesome, great work!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Boromedic said:
    That looks awesome, great work!
    Thanks - It is, really happy with it, perfect for a 50 year old in a pub rock band :)
  • Wow.

Love it. More wows than the entire '58 thread combined (genuinely).

I'd love something in that finish myself - something quirky like a Danelectro or a Mustang. 
    Wow.

I'd love something in that finish myself - something quirky like a Danelectro or a Mustang. 
    Would quite like all my guitars in that finish, it's really is something special.  I'm sure the guitars 1/2 lb lighter for having the poly stripped off too :)
  • Looks great! Got any before pics? Now, I have to warn you, those Washburn USAs are addictive... ;)
    Coverdale said:
    Looks great! Got any before pics? Now, I have to warn you, those Washburn USAs are addictive... ;)
    I don't think I have, but I'll keep looking, or maybe @lamf68 ; took some.  It wasn't worth taking pics of previously so I didn't bother, wish I had now :(

Love Washburns, had a few Korean ones in my time too which are very good, but this one is exceptional
    edited September 2018
    Found this one, sorry looks like it's all I have.  From back in the day camera phones weren't quite as good as they are now

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    I've got orange envy now.

I had a bit from the Vigier in the orange guitar thread and now it's gone over the top.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I want a Terry's Chocolate. Dark. :(
    Wow.

Why not give @lamf68 ; a shout and get something refinished, he's very reasonably prices and the quality of work is astounding.  Just dont keep him too busy, I'm trying to think of something else he can do for me ;)
    Found some before pics