alternate picking musical ideas (etudes)

What's Hot
finest1finest1 Frets: 94
edited September 2018 in Technique
hi all,

im getting bored with the alternate picking exercises im doing. im basically doing chromatics with a metronome. I was wondering if any of you have any etudes or musical alternate picking ideas you can recommend. maybe this may make it more "fun" while abling me to increase speed and precision. im pretty good at the moment, but boredom just prevents me picking up the guitar. so its more motivation rather than ability

can I also add arpeggios to the above too

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thanks, im gonna try and make a start on this on tuesday
  • Andy James Instalicks pack is great and has loads of musical alternate picked licks.  
  • In Scott Tennant's "Pumping Nylon" there's a nice piece of Bach that works as a nice scale study / picking exercise.

http://www.olchsmusic.org/uploads/3/8/5/1/38516183/tennant_scott_pumping_nylon.pdf

Page 74 of that.

• vizviz Frets: 10647
    Just done a little very-poorly-played-and-rushed video of one of my favourite picking exercises which is in an Al di Meola song. I have found this tiny melody to be so rich in technical and musical fruit - I love playing it and hopefully I’ll be able to play it properly before I die. 

https://youtu.be/tM0I0LfWk14
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @viz thanks for taking the time to upload this, I really appreciate it!! I will give it a try on the weekend
    finest1 said:
    @viz thanks for taking the time to upload this, I really appreciate it!! I will give it a try on the weekend
    Hope you do a better job than I did!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • very nice @viz :)

I recently found a thesis someone has written on Paganini's 24 Caprices adapted for guitar - it's absolutely bonkers - hundreds of pages long with full transcriptions of each one. Plenty to study in there if you're interested!!
  • finest1finest1 Frets: 94
    @Vibetronic ;

why not share the link, maybe someone might give it a go
    Ooh yes please vibe!
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    finest1 said:
    @Vibetronic ;

I'd love to, but it's on a subscription-only service I use called Scribd. Having said that - I think they let you look at a few things free first before you have to pay, so you may be able to see it (but perhaps not download?). 

See if you can see this: 

https://www.scribd.com/document/257648023/Etudes-Paganini-Guitar

Or just search for 'Etudes Paganini Guitar' on the site. 

Failing that, I've downloaded it, so feel free to pm with an email address and I'll send it on to those interested (the site is a legal one!)  =) It's a forensic study of adapting the Caprices for electric guitar - so is a short read of 624 pages ;)
    Thanks! I’ve downloaded the one Rachmaninov had a go at; that’ll be plenty for the time being!!! 
    cool :) I think the full transcriptions in that thesis are all right at the end, should've said!
    cool :) I think the full transcriptions in that thesis are all right at the end, should've said!
    Maybe another time ;)
    viz said:
    Maybe another time ;)
    you'll need a 7-string for a lot of it too....!!
    finest1 said:
    @Vibetronic ;

Further searching - it's still available on the University of New Zealand's website for download: 

https://mro.massey.ac.nz/handle/10179/713
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom