Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the Strangest place you played a gig?

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    We play the Royal Canal Amenity Group Family Day every year. Overlooking Thomastown Harbour (outdoor gig).
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    randerson said:
    A Druids Convention

@Randerson I take it you did Spinal Tap's "Stonehenge"?

:)

"Feet! Not inches!"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    On board a lightship (mored to the tidal river bank).
    A Shed at a naturists club.
    An empty drill hall (the worst echo ever at about .9 sec).
    A cowshed.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    The Liberal Club in Hawick was quite strange too.

In a Deliverance sort of way...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• west said:
    in a toilet in bilston ( which is a toilet )  ....

in an empty molineux stadium for central tv with steve bull miming on sax to wooly bully ..... 

That’s an excuse to repost this

https://youtu.be/gbVDCwBKNT8
    I love a bit of Doreen.. Very well observed indeed.

My two are probably Cosford Air Museum in one of the hangars and a Viking re-enactment group's preseason training camp. Everyone apart from the band was dressed in period costume and we played inside a huge fireplace. 

Edit: I don't have any pics of us playing but here's one from behind the amps. No Viking pictures exist sadly.

Perhaps some etchings? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    In a huge tank maintenance hall on a German Federal Armed Forces base.
  • In Manchester on the top floor of a cafe, the stage was just about big enough for the drum kit. Everyone else by the tables, literally. Felt very weird.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827

I did an acoustic set in a fertility clinic once and it actually went really well.

I got a standing ovulation.

You're welcome.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggy said:

I did an acoustic set in a fertility clinic once and it actually went really well.

You're welcome.

They always applaud really quickly because they are worried about a pregnant pause. 

• proggy said:

You're welcome.

They always applaud really quickly because they are worried about a pregnant pause. 
    Better than labouring over it. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In my youth I used to play in a brass band and every year we would play at a local Mental Health Hospital (although it got called something VERY different back then).

It was simultaneously very amusing and a bit scary. The patients seemed to love it and could get very excited about things.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A band I was in years ago had a singer who worked for an undertaker. He got us a gig at a summer fete held in the grounds of a care home. I'm sure they were hoping the loud noise would induce a few fatalities!
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    In someone's kitchen.

Played a gig and at the end a punter asked if we could go back to hers and play the whole set again at her house for a crazy fee.

So turned up did the exact set again in a fairly small kitchen to a group of about twenty really drunk people. 
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    drwiddly said:
    A band I was in years ago had a singer who worked for an undertaker. He got us a gig at a summer fete held in the grounds of a care home. I'm sure they were hoping the loud noise would induce a few fatalities!
    Gigs in care homes are not uncommon, although full on rock bands might be! Remember that many occupents could have been in thier 20s in the 1960s. thier 30s in the 1970s and thier 40s in the 1980s. For rock and pop those are often thought of as the golden years. Playing roll out the barrel and knees up mother brown was thier parents era. They want status quo, the Move, The rolling stones and more up to date.
    I know of several professional musicians that do duets in the mid week afternoons at care homes. It's simple and easy good money at a time they wouldn't always expect to earn.
  • ESBlonde said:
    drwiddly said:
    A band I was in years ago had a singer who worked for an undertaker. He got us a gig at a summer fete held in the grounds of a care home. I'm sure they were hoping the loud noise would induce a few fatalities!
    Gigs in care homes are not uncommon, although full on rock bands might be! Remember that many occupents could have been in thier 20s in the 1960s. thier 30s in the 1970s and thier 40s in the 1980s. For rock and pop those are often thought of as the golden years. Playing roll out the barrel and knees up mother brown was thier parents era. They want status quo, the Move, The rolling stones and more up to date.
    I know of several professional musicians that do duets in the mid week afternoons at care homes. It's simple and easy good money at a time they wouldn't always expect to earn.

My father in law was in a care home for people with dementia and they had a singer in every week. Just to backing tracks but he was pretty good and engaged with people, went down really well. 
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    A friend of mine makes his living playing care homes and the like. Great posts everyone and some hellish whacky places to play.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • jamesoliver1234jamesoliver1234 Frets: 1268
    edited September 2018
    Bridgend crematorium...next to the coffin. quite strange.. we'd never met the person we did great balls of fire and rock around the clock ...me and the singer from my band on two acoustic guitars.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    On the set of Noel Edmonds' Crinkley Bottom for a BBC Xmas party many, many moons ago.  I think I may have posted this before.

https://i.imgur.com/3cXdTrg.jpg
    that's just awesome
    play every note as if it were your first
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited September 2018
    Impromptu song  at 3am in middle of french ski village  - after local 2.5 hr set at last gig of "high altitude"  tour .. 

a significant  quantity of alcohol had been had consumed by all ....

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The European headquarters of Scientology.

They rent it out for functions (or they used to). It reminded me of the Stonecutters episode of The Simpsons. The main hall has these really imposing marble pillars... until you got behind them and saw that they were fake, only semi-circles like a theatre set.

We were playing for East Grinstead rugby club's annual party. We got asked back the next year too, but some members had complained about the previous year's choice of venue so the party was held somewhere normal.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.