Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Q418 CHALLENGE - Build an item of Musical Equipment from a Kit.

What's Hot

Comments

• @stickyfiddle speak to @Modulus_Amps he was really happy to go through things with me and talked about difficulty etc. I suspect once you made a choice he'd also support you - if you were building one of his amp kits anyway.
    Thanks @roundthebend

If you have never built an amp a Deluxe reverb would be a big undertaking, as would a princeton reverb , unless you can get someone to help you through the process and check what you are doing along the way.
    It is not the dangers of high voltage I would be concerned with really, just that the task would be too big and it would never be finished, or would be rushed and finished poorly.

I am going to be building a princeton reverb in October, so will put lots of photo's up on my facebook page when I do so it you wanted to follow that to see what is involved.

Honestly that's confirming my current understanding. I'm not worried about voltages, just not actually getting the thing working. I'll be very keen to see your Princeton build - will give you a like/follow once I'm off the work network

I suspect a blackface type build is off the table for this challenge. I'm very keen to try one at some point, but with a busy job and noone local to assist if it goes pete tong I think it's too big an undertaking right now. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    @stickyfiddle speak to @Modulus_Amps he was really happy to go through things with me and talked about difficulty etc. I suspect once you made a choice he'd also support you - if you were building one of his amp kits anyway.
    Thanks roundthebend

If you have never built an amp a Deluxe reverb would be a big undertaking, as would a princeton reverb , unless you can get someone to help you through the process and check what you are doing along the way.
    It is not the dangers of high voltage I would be concerned with really, just that the task would be too big and it would never be finished, or would be rushed and finished poorly.

I am going to be building a princeton reverb in October, so will put lots of photo's up on my facebook page when I do so it you wanted to follow that to see what is involved.

Honestly that's confirming my current understanding. I'm not worried about voltages, just not actually getting the thing working. I'll be very keen to see your Princeton build - will give you a like/follow once I'm off the work network

I suspect a blackface type build is off the table for this challenge. I'm very keen to try one at some point, but with a busy job and noone local to assist if it goes pete tong I think it's too big an undertaking right now. 
    You could probably do a little blackface vibrochamp, or even just drop the vibro part of the circuit for blackface tone, build it with a big enough OT/PT for a 6L6 and that would be quite a good little amp with a 12" speaker
  • @stickyfiddle speak to @Modulus_Amps he was really happy to go through things with me and talked about difficulty etc. I suspect once you made a choice he'd also support you - if you were building one of his amp kits anyway.
    Thanks roundthebend

You could probably do a little blackface vibrochamp, or even just drop the vibro part of the circuit for blackface tone, build it with a big enough OT/PT for a 6L6 and that would be quite a good little amp with a 12" speaker
    Yeah. I wonder if a 5e3 type might be the way to go, since so many seem to love them. Will do some reading...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    I have updated the list on entrants so far on the first page - let me know if I have missed anyone 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    @WezV have I mistakenly bought some kind of dodgy Fuzzdog knock-off? ;)
    Apparently so.

in other news I am expecting delivery of a new phone tomorrow.  One with a working screen.
    It's October.    The build phase has officially started, not that it stopped some of you getting a head start ;)

My kit hasn't turned up yet :(
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I haven't ordered mine yet. Going to Japan at the end of next week, so no hurry!
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    WezV said:
    I have updated the list on entrants so far on the first page - let me know if I have missed anyone 

Cough. Pickup kit in a Dashing Sparklecaster 
  • WezV said:
    I've got one going too!

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/141048/q418c-fuzz-pedal#latest

Still waiting for it to be delivered mind.
  • Me too! I’ve been building a Hemicaster 
  • Anybody else having to check the challenge dates because they've made close to zero progress? :lol: 

I'm going away on holiday for a week soon, I suspect it'll be a mad rush in December to start and finish my build. All good fun.
  • I might actually get mine ordered this weekend. We shall see..!
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I might actually get mine ordered this weekend. We shall see..!
    Now don't go getting ahead of yourself sticky :)
    Just one month left!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiS said:
    I might actually get mine ordered this weekend. We shall see..!
    Now don't go getting ahead of yourself sticky :)
    4 weeks on and I might actually have an order placed tonight. We'll see...
  • In no surprise to myself I've neglected the box of guitar shaped pieces in my house and have no chance of completing the build this year. Perhaps ever! I don't know why I kid myself into embarking on such projects.

However, one of my resolutions is to start getting shit done. So, I am determined to see this one through. It'll be January/February though so I'm out of the running for the challenge.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 250
    As above!
    I accidentally built a strat partscaster instead. One day the uke maybe completed... 

Sorry guys, real life got in the way of me closing this up on the 1st of jan.

I will look to start the vote in the next few days :)

Hi all.   Life getting in the way was an understatement.   I have not been around much,  and will unfortunately be unable to  stick to the commitments i made here.