What's Hot
This will resonate with a few people:

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1562
    "midilife crisis" surely?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    "Spend 50K on what is essentially just furniture" seems to have migrated from Delusional Guitar Collector...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I confidently predict that Delusional Synth Owner and Delusional Guitar Collector magazines will eventually merge to become Delusional Dentist or some such.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I feel like this could easily be me, if I had slightly less self control.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Join synthesiser freaks Facebook group ...it will show you this is 100% true, it's all about the look of the studio / equipment  and not the music, they are on pat with guitarists! 
  • Brutal
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Join synthesiser freaks Facebook group ...it will show you this is 100% true, it's all about the look of the studio / equipment  and not the music, they are on pat with guitarists! 
    I think our crap is cheaper, no?
  • carlos said:
    Join synthesiser freaks Facebook group ...it will show you this is 100% true, it's all about the look of the studio / equipment  and not the music, they are on pat with guitarists! 
    I think our crap is cheaper, no?
    Well honestly I would say on par , people selling what was crap for way above what it should be, vintage tat rehashed as rare "analogue" its literally the same as guitars, swap the name moog for Gibson / sequential for Fender and its the same trite jigsaw  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    @Strangefan ;
    I get you. I had a look recently and all my guitar stuff together was less than £3,000 (5 electrics, 1 classical, dozen pedals). The bloke I manage at work just spent that much in a new mac, keyboards, monitors and so on just as a starter.
  • carlos said:
    @Strangefan ;
    I get you. I had a look recently and all my guitar stuff together was less than £3,000 (5 electrics, 1 classical, dozen pedals). The bloke I manage at work just spent that much in a new mac, keyboards, monitors and so on just as 

Like guitars you don't need the vintage equivalent, modern synths like the studio logic sledge /novation bass station do the same job and in alot of respects better, but that doesn't matter to the die hard synth fans, .. Especially as the up keep of an average synth is a constant issue! For me I love synths and guitars but high end vintage never bothered me , gimme a tokai and a novation and I'm happy. 

Like guitars you don't need the vintage equivalent, modern synths like the studio logic sledge /novation bass station do the same job and in alot of respects better, but that doesn't matter to the die hard synth fans, .. Especially as the up keep of an average synth is a constant issue! For me I love synths and guitars but high end vintage never bothered me , gimme a tokai and a novation and I'm happy. 

I'd agree to a point, although synths do have a certain irrational draw for me.

I play a nord electro 5 out in various contexts, and can do 90% of what I tend to need with just that, including basic synth patches with its sample engine.

My only out-and-out synth is a Sledge, which is great, but I find myself tempted by an analogue with a good modulation matrix - but in reality I probably only want that to create a couple of sound effects the sledge can't, but which I'd hardly ever use once I could do it. Like the draw is purely about lacking the ability to do something, even though I don't really need to be able to.

I also have a slight hankering for the now affordable classics from when I was in my teens - dx7, d50, M1 etc, but lack of space and being able to cover those types of sounds in other ways stops me browsing eBay. The temptation is just about nostalgia really.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited September 2018
    The only thing I’d want is a hardware Serum with a second independently routable filter on the front page position, next to the first (if that makes sense)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    The only thing I’d want is a hardware Serum with a second independently routable filter on the front page position, next to the first (if that makes sense)
    That would be cool.
    I've succumbed to synth lust over the years- I had a crazy amount of romplers and polysynths in the 90's- but over time my taste has gone to analogues mono synths.

I've paired it down to a few essentials- a Moog Sub 37, Arturia Matrixbrute, Dave Smith Prophet, Korg Prophecy, my 3 Elektrons (A4, Octatrack II, Digitakt) plus a growing Eurorack system.
    Oh and the new digital piano.

That kinda feels like 'enough' but not excessive, certainly compared to some of the folks on FB groups, GS and Muffwiggler.
  • And I’ve only got three synths. Modest. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And now thanks to this thread I'm checking out rev2 prices and saying things like "well I have sold 3 guitars this year" and "it's a lot less than those bargain r8s"...

Feeling the grip of gas
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    horse said:

The temptation is just about nostalgia really.
    Should be embossed at the entrance to every man cave in the land.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I joined this group yesterday and today I have made a deal to purchase my first synth (Yamaha DX-7). I've now left the group. Absolutely do not recommend joining it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol this is genius, and me. My personal favourite "Unbelievable Stories - I wrote a song, finished it, and played it to others". So true hahaha.

Did you make this @octatonic ?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    gusman2x said:
    Lol this is genius, and me. My personal favourite "Unbelievable Stories - I wrote a song, finished it, and played it to others". So true hahaha.

Did you make this @octatonic ?
    I did not- I saw on Gearslutz.
  • horse said:
    temptation/nostalgia
    Maybe so but some of the old synths have never ceased to sound great. Modern, digital emulations of them vary in "accuracy". Some are near enough to evoke the same response as the real thing. Some only pass muster within a mix. 

In the meantime, use your delusion.

Be seeing you.