Cubase - upgrading from v5.1 to v9.5

What's Hot
Having used the legendary cubase 5.1 since 2007 or thereabouts, I'm finally taking the plunge in upgrading to the latest version having read so many good things about v9.5.

In particular, I'm hoping for a marked improvement in audio quality.  Let's see.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Audio quality is down to your soundcard. Cubase Pro offers  a 192 kHz, 64-bit floating-point audio engine which is overkill. There are plenty of other reasons to upgrade. Enjoy Cubase 9.5 Pro.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • The only other reason is if the stock plugins you use have been improved over time, which they may have.  But in terms of playing back audio there shouldn't be any difference unless C5.1 did something completely different I'm unaware of.

I've been using C9.5 Pro for a few months now, I like it.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971

In particular, I'm hoping for a marked improvement in audio quality.  Let's see.
    Unlikely imo.

Would be interested in hearing something you have recorded in both to compare them.  If your ears tell you different it’s probably just the ‘honeymoon period’
  • I'm starting with the free 30 day trial.  All the vst dlls with 5.1 are from 2007, the ones with 9.5 seem to be 2012 or 2018.  Most of the ui and workflow has been improved and refreshed.  What ive noticed so far is there are more tools toon the workflow to help me achieve a better polished sound. So far so good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited September 2018
    I'm starting with the free 30 day trial.  All the vst dlls with 5.1 are from 2007, the ones with 9.5 seem to be 2012 or 2018.  Most of the ui and workflow has been improved and refreshed.  What ive noticed so far is there are more tools toon the workflow to help me achieve a better polished sound. So far so good. 
    It's improved a lot. I was close to binning Cubase having used it from day one as the company  was clearly in financial trouble. Along comes Yamaha and the companies fortunes were revived. Yamaha invested cash, the product improved and got less buggy to the point I don't fear upgrading these days as any issues are minor and are fixed quickly. The company also listens to users and I'm seriously impressed at how regularly the product is updated.

Enjoy your trial - I'm on 9,5 Pro so shout if you want help/feedback/advice and I'll see if I can help.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    I'm starting with the free 30 day trial.  All the vst dlls with 5.1 are from 2007, the ones with 9.5 seem to be 2012 or 2018.  Most of the ui and workflow has been improved and refreshed.  What ive noticed so far is there are more tools toon the workflow to help me achieve a better polished sound. So far so good. 
    It's improved a lot. I was close to binning Cubase having used it from day one as the company  was clearly in financial trouble. Along comes Yamaha and the companies fortunes were revived. Yamaha invested cash, the product improved and got less buggy to the point I don't fear upgrading these days as any issues are minor and are fixed quickly. The company also listens to users and I'm seriously impressed at how regularly the product is updated.

Enjoy your trial - I'm on 9,5 Pro so shout if you want help/feedback/advice and I'll see if I can help.
    Thanks bud. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    I decided there wasn;t enough noticable difference in quality of included effects or exported audio so didn't upgrade in the end.
  • One thing I really noticed was the stability of 9 versus an older version (6) that I have too. 6 crashes a lot, 9 never does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom