COMPLETE - Q418C - Chloe’s Uke

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
edited December 2018 in Making & Modding
I really don't need any more guitars at the moment, having even moved on the GSP project I was going to do, however, inspired by another challenge thread, im going to put together a Uke for my daughter. 

Ordered a HB special from Thomann and it arrived yesterday:

Showed my daughter and she wants to paint it... she’s 4. 

A very bright, messy, glitter covered Uke build thread to follow I suspect  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    How about a white base coat, she paints her picture, and you cover it with several coats of something clear.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    Roland said:
    How about a white base coat, she paints her picture, and you cover it with several coats of something clear.
    I was thinking that, then maybe sectioning it off into shapes with some of the thin painters masking tape I've got? Odd patches of colour that I can then try and preserve with clear
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm keen to hear your thoughts on these kits.
    I'm keen to hear your thoughts on these kits.
    I'll let you know how I get on, the neck join seems a very good match but that's the only real observation so far.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    Roland said:
    I suggested the same thing to my daughter the other week.  Must remember I need to do that at some point 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    WezV said:
    Roland said:
    I suggested the same thing to my daughter the other week.  Must remember I need to do that at some point 
    I’ve been promising to do the same with my daughters for an embarrassingly long time. The bit I keep stumbling at is that I know they would rather use Pro-Markers than paint and I don’t know how to clear over it without making the ink run
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    DrBob said:
    WezV said:
    Roland said:
    I’ve been promising to do the same with my daughters for an embarrassingly long time. The bit I keep stumbling at is that I know they would rather use Pro-Markers than paint and I don’t know how to clear over it without making the ink run
    To finish with out making the ink run, I would use rattlecan lacquer, misting a few coats, very very light coats, that will seal the ink and not be wet enough to disolve it, then finish with heavier coats to taste
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    paulnb57 said:
    DrBob said:
    WezV said:
    Roland said:
    To finish with out making the ink run, I would use rattlecan lacquer, misting a few coats, very very light coats, that will seal the ink and not be wet enough to disolve it, then finish with heavier coats to taste
    Good intel thank you mate. 
    When you say rattlecan lacquer ? I’m not over familiar with this, are we saying nitro from Steve Robinson or just hit the aisles at B&Q ?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    I've used the lacquer from Halfords......straight onto bare wood its ok.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Titebond ordered
    Tru-oil ordered (back and sides)

Second coat of paint brushed/sponged onto the top of the body, first on the headstock. Left a patch unpainted where the fretboard will stick, forgot to leave a gap unpainted for glue contact on the bridge, once I’ve measured it, I’ll scrape that bit clean with a blade. 

Daughters white art and craft paint used, ready for her to paint over at the weekend with her other colours and no doubt, glitter paint :) 

So... some progress, sort of!

Had to sand back the paint, as it was something you could mostly wipe off with anything slightly damp. Bought a selection of ‘Mermaid paint’ colours (which had a non water based white) and also a glow in the dark paint. 

Paint application is is rough as a badgers arse now, but it’ll be fine for Chloe to go town on it with her brightly coloured metallic paints this weekend :)

First thing done is glow in the dark headstock with some glitter, some more glow in the dark paint and glitter to follow!

Bit dark

Pitch black

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    Spookelele
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    Has somebody been making glow in the dark slime?
    WezV said:
    Has somebody been making glow in the dark slime?
    Not yet, we’ve only made slime from lots so far, but when this is done I might look into it :) 

Sesh said:
    Spookelele
    Very good! :D 
    The body is painted and glittered. I’ll give it a coat of clear next week before I then start gluing. 

The artist at work

Glitter being sprinkled

It’s a work of art, modern art?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 776
    That’s brilliant. Your daughter will have a uniquelele 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Head stock and body have had several coats of clear now, neck is now glued and setting :)

Fretboard now gluing 

Top tip for anyone thinking of doing one of these, the wood, whatever it might be doesn’t seem to like masking tape. I used frog tape and it’s taken and lifted bits of the wood out. 

Hoping I can sand it smooth / the oil helps make it feel a bit nicer. 
    Done! 

Sanded the body and neck smooth, took the neck in to match the width of the fretboard, cleaned up with a tack cloth then gave it a few coats of tru-oil. Quick wax with some bri-wax then assembled. 

From reading the reviews the strings supplied aren’t supposed to be much cop, but fine for messing around with. 

Finsihed article:

Chloe having a quick play with it (between story time with the grandparents)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom