What's needed to make 'EDM'...err...music?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @octatonic ;
    thanks for the hardware recommendations. I suspect you're right about the yoof of today, my son is shining example of the 'on-demand' generation :lol: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Bod said:

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I was referring to buying used units, not a new one.  The Maschine forum is littered with people that bought a unit from Cash Converters etc, only to find that the licence transfer hadn't been done and they'd got a useless piece of hardware.

Regarding the performance recording, while it's possible to record patterns and assemble scenes, it's not currently possible to record the triggering of those patterns/scenes from the controllers as a full end-to-end performance.
    You can record a live performance by routing the output master bus to another scene triggered by what you play. This is an old vid .. I think its improved somewhat.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256

Ipad, imaschine 2 and novation launchpad. And a big chuffing loud amp. and a subwoofer

and ear plugs

sorted innit

• SporkySporky Frets: 27568
    octatonic said:

The worry that I have is 'kids today' have access to all the tools but none of the techniques.

I think that's an emergent consequence of being young - they've not had 10,000 hours spare to put into something.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited September 2018
    Sporky said:
    octatonic said:

The worry that I have is 'kids today' have access to all the tools but none of the techniques.
    I think that's an emergent consequence of being young - they've not had 10,000 hours spare to put into something.
    Yes everyone has access to the tools these days. 

Developing the techniques takes time, or investment in to non sexy things like education (as opposed to more gear)

• Old thread bump.

Son is now also considering a laptop, probably MacBook. He's seen a couple of older models with hard disc instead of SSD. He's attracted by the cheap price <£400. I wonder what a sensible spec is for running fruity loops with a ton of plugins? Does he need i5/i7, how much ssd?

He also fancies a set of turntable control devices for DJ practise.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I believe a lot of EDM people use FL Studio, that would be worth checking out as an introductory package as it is said to be very easy to use.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    Fretwired said:
    You want a Native Instruments Maschine .. the Mikro is being updated so the old model is on sale .. it's a beat maker, sampler, track maker etc. NI have loads of content packs you can buy to make tracks.

Check out 'Just a girl and her Machine ..'

I actually use one ...

they'll come and take it back if they find out your age
    I went for Ableton, now have a Push 2

You need to find out if he's a Maschine kind of guy or what

You can easily use ableton without Push for a while
    If you get a midi keyboard, I'd get a bigger one, the mini ones are a bit limiting I think, how about
    https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/m-audio-keystation-61-mk3-usb-powered-midi-controller?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-ueYvr363wIV5r3tCh3dnwtNEAQYASABEgIYFvD_BwE
    Fretwired said:
    Bod said:

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I was referring to buying used units, not a new one.  The Maschine forum is littered with people that bought a unit from Cash Converters etc, only to find that the licence transfer hadn't been done and they'd got a useless piece of hardware.

Regarding the performance recording, while it's possible to record patterns and assemble scenes, it's not currently possible to record the triggering of those patterns/scenes from the controllers as a full end-to-end performance.
    You can record a live performance by routing the output master bus to another scene triggered by what you play. This is an old vid .. I think its improved somewhat.

do you compose a lot using maschine?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He bought an Akai Professional MPK Mini Mk2 keyboard, and some Numark N-Wave 580L monitors, and a refurb macbook Pro which he intends to load with Ableton.