HNBD

What's Hot
adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
Wifey got me this Sire Marcus Miller V7 swamp ash beauty for my birthday today!
Never played bass before, but its gotta be at least 30% easier than guitar, although you don't get the chicks 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Playing it is probably 30% easier.

Being good is 30% harder :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Playing it is probably 30% easier.

Math's ain't my strong subject so not sure where that leaves me!!!
    I will say that for the dough this looks mustard, very happy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeter said:
    Playing it is probably 30% easier.

Math's ain't my strong subject so not sure where that leaves me!!!
    I will say that for the dough this looks mustard, very happy
    Those sires are extremely good for the money - decent preamps and pickups too.

Enjoy - it’s a good bass to start with for sure! Oh, and get some flats for it - your fingers will thank you ;)
  • Oh, and check out Scott’s bass lessons on YouTube - his beginner lessons are absolutely superb and you’ll get a good strong technique good enough for home recording in a couple of weeks tops.
  • Happy birthday! Nice looking bass, enjoy
  • Those sires are extremely good for the money - decent preamps and pickups too.

Enjoy - it’s a good bass to start with for sure! Oh, and get some flats for it - your fingers will thank you ;)
    Now you have lost me, so i assume there's rounds on it now?
    And gauges? how does that work?
    I'm all ears
  • adampeter said:
    Those sires are extremely good for the money - decent preamps and pickups too.

Now you have lost me, so i assume there's rounds on it now?
    And gauges? how does that work?
    I'm all ears
    Should be round wounds as standards. Try them for a bit and see how you feel with them. There’s two kinds of flats (broadly) - higher tension and similar to rounds but with that thumpy flat tone and a bit of zing (D’addario Chromes) or lower tension and a bit more trad, like Thomastiks Jazz Flats.

Gauge wise, average would be 45-105 approx - the TIs are lighter (43-100) - Chromes are average. 

They are proper spendy (about £40 a set) but - they last years and will cope with being taken on and off and swapped over so not expensive in the long term. 

Try pick, and also the two finger right hand technique to give you a flavour for what you like. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • And IMHO the very best accessory you can get (if you only get one) is a Bass Preamp DI pedal - I have a thread in this section with lots of info in there
  • Oh, and you don’t need the chicks as a bass player - too busy being smug and self righteous for any of that sort of thing :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Nice. Happy Birthday.

my top tip is to try using a 2p coin on roundwounds. Gnarly.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Enjoy you birthday present and these are great basses. It'll serve you well
  • Oh, and you don’t need the chicks as a bass player - too busy being smug and self righteous for any of that sort of thing :D
    I'm curious how it works when you gravitate from guitar to bass. Do the chicks slowly wander off when they notice you've lost a couple of strings? 

What about if you play a 5 string bass? Will they notice? (Asking for a friend  / science...nothing to do with the fact that I'm currently building a 5!).

@adampeter HNBD mate, it's a whole new world of awesome! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Legionreturns said:
    I'm curious how it works when you gravitate from guitar to bass.
    The incontinent widdling stops. The groove begins. 

Ideally, you gravitate back and forth between guitar and bass. Techniques from each instrument inform the other. 

adampeter said:
    i assume there's rounds on it now?
    Should be round wounds as standards. Try them for a bit and see how you feel with them. 
    In my experience, ash body, maple neck J style bass guitars with passive pickups and active EQ lend themselves to bright and percussive tones. (Precisely what you would expect of Marcus Miller himself.) That means Jazz Funk. Bridgehouse's favourite! :-p 

Lovely as flatwound strings are, IMO, they would be wasted on the V7 (or vice versa). Little point having all that sophisticated EQ circuitry to tweak frequencies that the strings do no generate in worthwhile quantities. I suggest that you save the flat wounds for a passive bass.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• Lovely as flatwound strings are, IMO, they would be wasted on the V7 (or vice versa). Little point having all that sophisticated EQ circuitry to tweak frequencies that the strings do no generate in worthwhile quantities. I suggest that you save the flat wounds for a passive bass.
    I disagree. The ACG I have is passive pickup, active electronics (East) and responds very well to flats - with the right flats (Chromes in this case) there is more than enough frequency range to benefit from the tweaks the EQ can give. In fact, if anything it draws out the harmonics more - and I find a decent set of flats has, if anything, a broader and richer range of harmonics 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    adampeter said:

Never played bass before, but its gotta be at least 30% easier than guitar, although you don't get the chicks
    The key is to approach it in the opposite way from guitar - with guitar, more is more. With bass, less is more.

This also applies to not looking like you’re trying too hard ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Wrong. You are all wrong. You should all stop being so wrong and start being right. It's quite unbelievable how wrong you all are. I really wish you would not be wrong about this. Prepare to be righted.

Read this:

Bass player get the chicks.

Absorb it.

You are now right. I am right. We are right. 

Every band I've ever ever been in (which is several +a few) the bass player is the one who has gotten the chicks. This includes when i was a bass player in my brief experimental period in the 00's.

Example one from one band - In studio recording - Bass player rocks up with broken arm. Still manages to play through 4 songs note perfect and is gone within a couple of hours. Chap with guitar/bass case + injured walks into a bar across the street from studio. Any guesses what happens next?

Another example - Band is tight as hell - 3 piece band - guitarist singer/ + drummer can't move much. Guess who is the one dancing around and interacting with the crowd, dancing with all the pretty ladies while playing.. guess who carries on interacting after the show.

Another another example - the bassist in a band I used to  guitar dep for on quite a regular basis currently has 6 kids with 4 different womens.. i mean not the best example.. but he is the bassist.. and i guess he got the chicks..

I could go on.. :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    ^
    Exhibit A: John Taylor

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    ICBM said:
    ^
    Exhibit A: John Taylor

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/9524908/Duran-Duran-s-Taylor-admits-he-was-a-creep.html

"Taylor said that he used to choose his girlfriends by looking through fashion magazines."

Truth is, you'll be so busy working, you won't have time for women.

• I don’t play bass for the chicks - I play bass for the massive respect I always get from the other members of the band...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t play bass for the chicks - I play bass for the massive respect I always get from the other members of the band...
    How's that working out for you? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you