Classical music + Modular synths

What's Hot
Check this out! I really enjoy the music and the aesthetic of the video. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    OK, this is very cool but it doesn't appear to be entirely modular in nature.
    She is feeding the modules from a sequencer and processing them with Mutable Instruments Clouds and Rings.

The patch notes say 'Sequence written from a Kawai Piano. ~ Piano Midi out -- Logic Pro X -- Hermod -- Voices'

If I wanted to do such a think then it is certainly the most expedient way to do it- using the computer to do what would otherwise be really time consuming in a hardware sequencer.

I'd like to hear Ravel's 'La Valse' done in this manner.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited September 2018
    @octatonic If I understand you correctly, you're saying that this was done the "easy" way (i.e. not fully modular) because it wasn't programmed in a hardware sequencer, but instead she played the music on a piano into a DAW and fed the midi from that performance into the modules?

I guess one could download any available midi files on the internet, feed it through the modules, play with the knobs and come up with a similar end result?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited September 2018
    I guess I was saying that it was a really good idea, rather than a technical challenge.
    Yes, you could absolutely use a downloaded midi file and send it to the modular via a MIDI to CV converter.

I'm taking nothing away from it- combining impressionist classical music with modular synths is one of those ideas that you wish you'd thought of- it is such an obviously good pairing and yet no one else thought of it.
    Really brilliant.

Edit: I should explain what the two modules do.

Mutable Instruments Clouds: This is a (now discontinued) granular module.
    It takes any incoming audio signal and slices the audio into pieces (called grains) which you can reassemble in interesting ways.
    Think of it as the audio equivalent of throwing a completed jigsaw up in the air and seeing how it lands.

I use mine a lot for glitch effects on guitars.

Mutable Instruments Rings: Hard top explain everything this does- it is a 'voltage controlled resonator' which basically says nothing about how it is used. In fact, watch this- it shows you the best features of the module:

It is very common for Clouds and Rings to be combined so much so that there are several 'Clouds and Rings are for noobs' type memes on Muffwiggler and Synthesiser Freaks.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    octatonic said:
    I guess I was saying that it was a really good idea, rather than a technical challenge.
    Yes, you could absolutely use a downloaded midi file and send it to the modular via a MIDI to CV converter.

I'm taking nothing away from it- combining impressionist classical music with modular synths is one of those ideas that you wish you'd thought of- it is such an obviously good pairing and yet no one else thought of it.
    Really brilliant.

Edit: I should explain what the two modules do.

Mutable Instruments Clouds: This is a (now discontinued) granular module.
    It takes any incoming audio signal and slices the audio into pieces (called grains) which you can reassemble in interesting ways.
    Think of it as the audio equivalent of throwing a completed jigsaw up in the air and seeing how it lands.

I use mine a lot for glitch effects on guitars.

Mutable Instruments Rings: Hard top explain everything this does- it is a 'voltage controlled resonator' which basically says nothing about how it is used. In fact, watch this- it shows you the best features of the module:

It is very common for Clouds and Rings to be combined so much so that there are several 'Clouds and Rings are for noobs' type memes on Muffwiggler and Synthesiser Freaks.
    WOW! This video is really far too deep and involved for me. Thanks anyway! It sounds brilliant even if I have no clue what is going on.