Recommended AMP TECHS

What's Hot

Comments

• stefken147stefken147 Frets: 51
    Any recommendations for Northern Ireland? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • neioneio Frets: 15
    Any recommendation for amp servicing in East London or Essex area?

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    theampworkshop.co.uk - Mal Crawley. Based in Stevenage

Nice guy and works fairly quickly. Even does stuff for Coda Music. He's just fixed a problem with my amp and even PAT tested it, cleaned the valves and sockets too.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    neio said:
    Any recommendation for amp servicing in East London or Essex area?
    Assuming Witham isn’t too Essex and not enough East London then I would suggest you check out Essex Amp Repairs...

http://www.essexamprepairs.co.uk/

...nice people, do good work, and look after their customers.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • +1 for sickamps in Harlow Essex.
    They've got a website where you can see how the repairs are going and can see all past repairs on your own login. 

Https://sickamps.com ;
  • Any recommendations for/ around Hayward’s Heath, I need a repair and potentially some mods done.

cheers
  • OakieOakie Frets: 4
    Raphael Sutcliffe in Portsmouth. Makes rather nice amps too.  Top bloke. 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    +1 for Mal at theampworkshop.co.uk (Stevenage)

Sorted out a rather random and annoying issue with my Lionheart (which turned out not to be what either of us thought it was) and all for a very reasonable cost. Lovely chap, and seems to be the amp equivalent of the various "interesting chaps" I used to meet when trailing around after my Dear Old Dad as he did assorted wheeler-dealer things on the British bike scene. Made me all nostalgic for brown overalls.
  • AxeWieldingBastardAxeWieldingBastard Frets: 156
    edited June 2018
    Voxman said:
    JCA2550 said:
    Malcolm Hine of MPH Guitars, Edmonton, London, N18, has done loads of excellent, Amp Repair and Maintenance for me over the last few years. Hi s website's a bit creaky, but his work is top-notch.

http://www.mphguitars.co.uk/mphhome.html

-------------------------------------------

Big +1 - Malcolm's sorted out both my Marshall amps and set up four of my guitars including re-potting two of them.  Great guy, excellent service and workmanship ....and a fine blues player to boot!  

Sorry to undermine the above recomendations. 
    But i took an amp to Mr Hine a couple of years back for what i thought would be a minor repair and had a absolute nightmare- i would like to take this time to emphatically implore anyone in North London reading this to take their amp to someone else!

Short version of story: I acquired a new amp (i can't remember the model, but it was a 1w combo made by Wienbrock). It was one of those exceptional NAD's where the amp is delivered, plugged in and completely fullfils expectations on all levels. It sounded great.

A couple of days in it started getting a weird crackly sound coming intermittently from the amp. After a quick chat with our ICBM, i gave the valves a wiggle and found that this (temporarily) fixed the issue.
    Ok, seems like a minor repair is needed. Maybe a loose connection on the offending valve or something? I found a recomendation for MPH Amps on this forum and duely took the amp to Malcolm to fix.

A week later i got the now 'repaired amp' back home. After being slightly perturbed by some comments made by Malcolm on collection,  about how the repair had been problematic; he was a bit vague, but it sounded as if there were elements of the amps design he didn't seem to understand. He mentioned something about "capacitors being individually shrink wrapped" when he opened it up, which he confessed he hadn't bothered to redo after the repair because he said, "it made no sense to him". I wasn't feeling very confident, but there was nothing else to do at that point, but get it home, plug in and see what is what.

The good news was Malcolm had gotten rid of the crackle, the bad news is that the amp now sounded muddy and lifeless, with a really weird artifacts occurring in the note decay. It was completely different sounding amp. Bollocks. I contacted him right away to let him know the amp wasn't right and i took it back the next day to confront him. 
    Unfortunately Malcoms response was exactly what i expected- just a my word against his defence. He argued the amp sounded 'fine' to him. I replied that prior to the issue the amp sounded much better than fine- it sounded fantastic, i referred him to his comments regarding the difficulty he'd had repairing the amp. As well as his confessions regarding shrink wrapping on the caps and suggested there might be a causal relationship between his improvised repair method and the heavily degraded sound of my amp? Maybe he shpuld have contected me once he realised the job was not going to be as simple as foreseen.
    At which point he went in to utter denial regarding any mistake or wrong doing on his part and began telling me that the guy who built my amp didn't know what he doing etc. 
    I had to pick my amp up and leave to prevent me from taking his guitar off him and breaking his legs with it.

Do yourself a favour. If you're in North London and need an amp repair, take it to Frank @ JPF Amps and don't f*ck about with amateur ass hats like Malcolm.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2157
    Any suggestions for the South West? 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    DrJazzTap said:
    Are you still looking for someone @DrJazzTap ?
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    Edinburgh:

Martin at Axe Management, did a professional job at reasonable prices for servicing and adding a depth mod to my Soldano.

I'll highly recommend him.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2157
    edited September 2018
    simonk said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    Yes please mate.  @simonk ;
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    DrJazzTap said:
    simonk said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    Yes please mate.  @simonk ;

@DrJazzTap ;

Darren @ Retro Amps is excellent:
    http://www.retroamps.com/

Black Magic Amps:
    https://bmamps.com/v01/
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    Anyone have a recommendation for someone near Chesterfield, Derbyshire for an Egnater Tweaker wil a pre-amp that isn't working? At the moment I plug my Zoom G3X into the FX loop return and it sounds fine, but plugging into the pre-amp gives a very low and distorted sound.

I bought some new 12AX7's from Watford Vales and that made no difference, but I don't have a valve tester to check they are okay. I have tested all of the internal fuses for continuity and they seem okay. I can't see anything obviously wrong on the PCB so I'm now stuck.

I would have gone to MJW but they have relocated to Scotland unfortunately.

Anyone recommend anyone in Derbyshire, South Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire region who would know about Egnaters?
  • bugilemanbugileman Frets: 55
    Mike at the Amploft in Bristol is a great guy, sorted out my old custom sound amplifier. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Can anyone recommend a good alternative to Henk Philipsen in the West Sussex area?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Can anyone recommend a good alternative to Henk Philipsen in the West Sussex area?
    Hi Jules, I have used a decent amp guy near me but thats a bit of a trek for you, Sounds Superior in Lee-on-the-Solent.  I would certainly recommend him. 

I could at least provide you with tea/coffee/beer if you came down!
  • munckee said:
    Can anyone recommend a good alternative to Henk Philipsen in the West Sussex area?
    Hi Jules, I have used a decent amp guy near me but thats a bit of a trek for you, Sounds Superior in Lee-on-the-Solent.  I would certainly recommend him. 

I could at least provide you with tea/coffee/beer if you came down!
    Cheers @munckee. If I can’t find anything suitable nearby then it might be an option.