Tried a multiscale bass yesterday

LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
Due to special circumstances involving proximity and ageing i found myself in a music shop in Chester with permission to do more than just peruse... i could try all the way up to not buying!

So i did my usual peruse which trying to look like i wasn't a total time waster looking to have a go on all the pricey stuff.

I had intended to go and have a play on some of the strats/teles and things.. but instead found myself playing an Ibanez multiscale bass in some sort of antique aged walnutty brown finish at around £650ish.. Can't remember the model number.. i looked at it with the intention of remembering but had probably forgotten by the time i got to the door... 

Anyway..

It was my first multi scale.. i think i liked it. The next was incredibly slim at the top and it was surprisingly comfy and really smooth with just the right amount of 'resistance' for good grip. I just went up and down a few scales to see what playing over different strings was like with the wonky frets. I think i missed maybe one or two notes at the beginning then it was seamless. 

Overall i liked it. Not enough to decide that it's the only thing for me now, but it certainly was a different experience. 

Anyone else have any experience with multi scales? Likes/dislikes?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    Nothing to do with fish then?
  • I'm a fan (no pun intended)

I think @Jonathanthomas83 picked up a Dingwall recently as well though don't know how he's getting on with it?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    They look interesting for sure, but I have barely touched any of my basses for about 6 years, I don't remember how to play anything now!

I didn't realise that they were creeping into mid-price production basses now.

• Spot on, I love it. I don't play bass very often but the Dingwall Combustion is the bass touch/feel/sound I always had in my head. I know that sounds weird, but I just clicked with it instantly, where as I haven't with other basses.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922