Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2018 Running Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• @joneve and @mcsdan , thanks for the advice.  I probably haven't been eating as much as usual, so that may well have added to the hassle too.

I suppose the thing that gets me is that I do not like excuses.  I felt that I was cheating myself by not exercising; however, what you have written has made me realise that I'm doing myself over by not allowing myself to fully recover.

Once again, thanks .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    The great East run was awesome. Highly recommended.

I always find running helps if I'm a bit under the weather but I sack it off if I feel totally awful.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    13 miles so far this week (5 Monday, 4 Wed, 4 today). Going to try and fit another run in at the weekend. I want to try and hit 500 miles for the year, which is another 252 between now and the end of December, which is 18 miles a week average, which should be achievable, providing the weather isn't really, really bad. 
  • I've been running 2 or 3 times a week lately, doing just under 7 miles a time, which is about 1 mile too far for my legs. It's getting easier though, I ran today and felt good so I may do the "short" Parkrun tomorrow which is a 1 mile jog down a hill to the start.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Just done a 5km timed run at work in 23:02. That must be my fastest ever I think. Bloody happy with that, especially considering the wind!

I am never going to be an athlete at 43, but competing with myself, I just kicked my own arse :)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarky said:
    Just done a 5km timed run at work in 23:02. That must be my fastest ever I think. Bloody happy with that, especially considering the wind!

I am never going to be an athlete at 43, but competing with myself, I just kicked my own arse :)
    Nice one! You'd be surprised, I was the fastest I've ever been when I was 43!
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    quarky said:

excellent, great time. The competition is with yourself. Don't worry what others are doing.

I'm 44 and fittest/fastest I've ever been so don't give up the ghost. Go for it.

:-)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    quarky said:

That's a really great time!

I'm 38 and by far the fittest I've been in my life.
  • Another 6.7-ish miles this morning, a bit easier than Monday.
  • new to this thread but not new to running. cool to see fellow fretboarders into running as much as i am. 

averaging about 22-25miles a week; have done multiple half marathons and hoping to do my first marathon event early next year. any training tips for getting past the 13.2mile distance?

feel free to add me on strava: Marcus Rexford
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    marcus449 said:
    new to this thread but not new to running. cool to see fellow fretboarders into running as much as i am. 

averaging about 22-25miles a week; have done multiple half marathons and hoping to do my first marathon event early next year. any training tips for getting past the 13.2mile distance?

Excellent. Few tips that may help:-

1. get a plan and stick to it. Most plans will structure the runs and spread the load over many weeks including "down" weeks. Don't take bits from multiple plans. Load from long training runs is cumulative hence the down weeks every so often.

2. If you have a local group or club it can be useful to join with others also training for a marathon. The runs can be long and having people waiting for you and company on the run will help massively. This is especially true if a spring marathon where all the training is in horrid weather.

3. Read up on fueling your run and hydration/electrolytes. Try out on your long runs and adjust until you get it right. What works for one doesn't always work for someone else.

4. Make sure you have properly fitted trainers that suit your GAIT. Most running shops will test this for you either for a small charge or as part of buying a pair of trainers. If you need trainers then buy 2 pairs the same once you have had them fitted and done some test runs. This helps guard against wear on trainers causing repetitive use injuries and sods law says that the trainers you have used in your training runs will fall apart a few days before the race.

5. Slightly slow down your first couple of miles. Think of it as an extended warm up. How your body determines ratios of carbs/fats is in the first few miles of the race. Preserving carbs is a key element (and hence fueling).

6. Stick to recovery/down weeks in your plan. They are there to allow you to recover from long runs and rebuild stronger/fitter.

7. A full marathon isn't the same as 2 x half marathons. In distance it is but in terms of effort it is closer to 3-4 times. It is often quoted that the marathon is 2 parts. The first 20 and the last 6.2. The last 6.2 will feel as hard if not harder than the first 20.

8. If you can get to 18-20 miles in training you'll be reasonably ok on the day. Don't go above 22 miles since the risk of injury increases massively and doesn't actually make you any fitter. Running longer than 22 generally takes a disproportionate amount of recovery time unless you are used it it.

9. Taper is vital and has a massive impact. Stick to it as per the plan.

10. Have fun, enjoy the training and the challenge. You will have good and bad runs. The bad runs teach you alot about your body. Remain positive in the race and stick to what you've trained for.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask away if you need any more help but sure the above gives you plenty to get on with. Post up training on here as you go. Good motivation :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I trained for a 20-miler which was cancelled. Mid-week running stayed the same - 3 or four steady runs of 7-8 miles. Then on a Saturday morning I did a longer and longer run. I found the distance to be a definite step up, I didn't need water or gels for 13-14 miles but found I did when running just a few miles more.
  • mcsdan said:
    marcus449 said:
    new to this thread but not new to running. cool to see fellow fretboarders into running as much as i am. 

1. get a plan and stick to it. Most plans will structure the runs and spread the load over many weeks including "down" weeks. Don't take bits from multiple plans. Load from long training runs is cumulative hence the down weeks every so often.

2. If you have a local group or club it can be useful to join with others also training for a marathon. The runs can be long and having people waiting for you and company on the run will help massively. This is especially true if a spring marathon where all the training is in horrid weather.

3. Read up on fueling your run and hydration/electrolytes. Try out on your long runs and adjust until you get it right. What works for one doesn't always work for someone else.

4. Make sure you have properly fitted trainers that suit your GAIT. Most running shops will test this for you either for a small charge or as part of buying a pair of trainers. If you need trainers then buy 2 pairs the same once you have had them fitted and done some test runs. This helps guard against wear on trainers causing repetitive use injuries and sods law says that the trainers you have used in your training runs will fall apart a few days before the race.

5. Slightly slow down your first couple of miles. Think of it as an extended warm up. How your body determines ratios of carbs/fats is in the first few miles of the race. Preserving carbs is a key element (and hence fueling).

6. Stick to recovery/down weeks in your plan. They are there to allow you to recover from long runs and rebuild stronger/fitter.

7. A full marathon isn't the same as 2 x half marathons. In distance it is but in terms of effort it is closer to 3-4 times. It is often quoted that the marathon is 2 parts. The first 20 and the last 6.2. The last 6.2 will feel as hard if not harder than the first 20.

8. If you can get to 18-20 miles in training you'll be reasonably ok on the day. Don't go above 22 miles since the risk of injury increases massively and doesn't actually make you any fitter. Running longer than 22 generally takes a disproportionate amount of recovery time unless you are used it it.

10. Have fun, enjoy the training and the challenge. You will have good and bad runs. The bad runs teach you alot about your body. Remain positive in the race and stick to what you've trained for.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask away if you need any more help but sure the above gives you plenty to get on with. Post up training on here as you go. Good motivation :-)

thank you so much for all this information. i've copied and pasted and will look at all the points in greater detail, i really do appreciate it and will keep this thread updated! 
  • As a returnee to running after a 20yr gap, and a summer of calf injuries, finally got my first parkrun tomorrow morning.
    Looking forward to it and hoping to finish in about half an hour.
    mcsdan said:
    marcus449 said:

Point 7 is particularly concerning. I have run a half and a half as part of a half Ironman.

ive never ran a marathon and have to do so as part of the Ironman in Copenhagen next year. Not looking forward to that then! Haha! 
  • I went back to running a few weeks ago, after a "rest" of about 10 years.

Just came back from my first Parkrun, and am pleased to report not only did I survive, but really enjoyed it too :)
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • Just finished my first Parkrun today and finished very happy.
    Cake at finish was great!
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Attempting the Great Scottish Run Half Marathon tomorrow. Not massively looking forward to it as my training has been shot to pieces by work (I travel a lot). Even after the run tomorrow I'm travelling...9hrs in a van, ace.

On 1200km for the year so far and last short run (5k) on Thursday. Hopefully it'll go ok.

Best of luck to anyone else giving this or any other event a go tomorrow.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

shugz said:
    Attempting the Great Scottish Run Half Marathon tomorrow. Not massively looking forward to it as my training has been shot to pieces by work (I travel a lot). Even after the run tomorrow I'm travelling...9hrs in a van, ace.

On 1200km for the year so far and last short run (5k) on Thursday. Hopefully it'll go ok.

Best of luck to anyone else giving this or any other event a go tomorrow.

Cheers
    Hugh
    if you've done 1200km this year, I'm sure you did find at the Great Scottish Half! How did you get on? 

I'm still trying to get out 3 times a week but been hampered by achy legs and a sick 10 month old. 

Still got to average an (achievable) 20 miles a week until the end of the year, to hit 500 miles for 2018, which I'd be over the moon with (Jan-March was a total write off)
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Had a shocker (cue excuses)....

Never had much in the way of aches and pains running before. Until that one. About 10-12km in got excruciating back pain lower down and that was that. Limped over in a 2:44 time. Dint get me wrong, it was never going to be fast or pretty but thought maybe 2:10 or 2:20 half realistic. Ran 6.5km yesterday and still in trouble so might have to see doctors or someone in the know for advice.

To cap it off, I had to get in a van and drive to Southampton straight after the run....!

You'll be sorry you asked, best of luck with your endeavours. Don't worry too much getting out all the time, real life really does get in the way I more than know that.

I'm trying for 1500km for the year but I'm now not sure if I'll make it. Next year I'd planned to try and get quicker (possibly doing fewer miles but more geared to working on quicker times). 

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com