The Fractal Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    peteri said:
    Interesting in the latest release they’ve added IR players. (Two)

Effectively these are cut down cab blocks. But means I could now have 16 cabs in one preset with 8 mixes of four IRs and 8 single IRs

Obviously this was met with negativity and I had a bit of backlash for mentioning it...but I felt they missed a trick by not allowing longer IRs so that this new IR block could handle convolution reverb IRs. That would be different to every other product on the market. Still, it's good that they added these blocks.
    I agree, I'd love a convulving (sic) email
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    peteri said:
    peteri said:
    Interesting in the latest release they’ve added IR players. (Two)

Effectively these are cut down cab blocks. But means I could now have 16 cabs in one preset with 8 mixes of four IRs and 8 single IRs

Obviously this was met with negativity and I had a bit of backlash for mentioning it...but I felt they missed a trick by not allowing longer IRs so that this new IR block could handle convolution reverb IRs. That would be different to every other product on the market. Still, it's good that they added these blocks.
    I agree, I'd love a convulving (sic) email
    Have you tried experimenting with IR's ITB?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 450
    edited August 2018

Had my III just over a week and I'm very impressed. 

I have the AX8, but never got to grips with editing on the unit itself, so have been carting my laptop to rehearsals and gigs. That won't be a problem with the III as the interface is so easy to use.

I've heard side by side comparisons with the latest firmware on the AX8 and the difference is marginal, but as a user experience the III is so much more satisfying. Finding the right IR is crucial on modellers and I wasted a lot of time with it on the AX8, the ones on the stock presets on the III are much better,  but as has been mentioned the ability to add and blend additional cabs makes it much easier and quicker to get things sounding how you want them.

The sheer power and number of options within presets is also brilliant. I never had a problem compromising with the AX8, but it's nice to know that I can throw whatever I like in a preset and not have to worry about running out of CPU

Bummer having to wait for the FC, but in terms of portability I don't think it's much different. I have my AX8 on a board in a flight case, but  now I'll have a shallow 4U rack and possibly a lightweight pedal board depending on which FC I go for, to carry from the car to gigs - can still do it in one trip.

It's probably overkill for my needs,  but I'm thoroughly enjoying it and think it should be future proof for a good few years yet....I mean I can't think what else I'd ever need in a preset. The one thing I really like about Fractal is they don't sit on their laurels, so in a couple of years the III will no doubt be doing far more than it is now....and far more than I would ever realistically need,  so should it keep me going for a long time to come, leaving me to concentrate my GAS solely on guitars!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Whoohooooo, email from Sussi, my AxeFx 3 will be shipped via UPS later this week :)
    It’s on its way from Sunny Germany today :)
    On a more sober note, I wonder if anyone has tried the Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro with the Fx3, 
  • Exciting times mate, enjoy it!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Axe Fx3 has landed and I’m on nights tonight !, bugger :(
  • So I've had the AX8 and Kemper for the last few months. Initially the Fractal was a bit of a pain to dial in until I bought the Naked Amps pack, this transformed the unit for me. The zKemper is great to work with but to me , in the end, the AX8 is so much more real sounding. Kemper went today so Fractal all the way from now on...
  • Interesting!

@sweepy how are you getting on with your Axe FX 3?
    Interesting!

@sweepy how are you getting on with your Axe FX 3?
    It’s very good, sounds different to my old Fx2 but interestingly at the moment I’m preferring my Kemper. I do remember how much fettling it took to get the Fx2 to my liking so no knee jerk reactions just yet . Th biggest hassle so far has been having enough time to ge really under the hood of it as September is always a crazy month for me
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited September 2018
    Very interesting how different we all are and we each seem to have vastly different perceptions as to what "real" sounds like. That said, I think a lot of it is down to the styles of music you're playing. I think I find cleans are easier to dial in on the Fractal than to find a good clean profile on the Kemper - I prefer the Fractal in that regard.

I use a lot of damped picking dynamics and that really seems to sort out the modellers, the Helix was stiff and artificial with no note bloom, Axe Fx after a lot of faffing got close but the Kemper "so far" seems to react more dynamically to touch. Its still a huge work in progress and who knows where it goes and thats half the fun :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy said:
    I use a lot of damped picking dynamics and that really seems to sort out the modellers, the Helix was stiff and artificial with no note bloom, Axe Fx after a lot of faffing got close but the Kemper "so far" seems to react more dynamically to touch. Its still a huge work in progress and who knows where it goes and thats half the fun :)
    The response is what I like most about the Kemper.
    Well, thats it, my AxeFx 3 is now officially up for sale !
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited September 2018
    @sweepy can't you send it back? Save a fortune.

What happened?

edited September 2018
    Past distance selling regs expiry unless G66 are feeling charitable. i have contacted them, Spent the past week solidly playing both with a variety of guitars and the Kemper nails it every time although I will have to get a multi fx
  • sweepy said:
    Past distance selling regs expiry unless G66 are feeling charitable. Spent the past week solidly playing both with a variety of guitars and the Kemper nails it every time although I will have to get a multi fx
    30 days with g66 mate.

I agree. But Kemper delivers everything I need FX wise too. Tap me up by PM see if I can help. Or discuss on the Kemper thread.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
    sweepy said:
    Past distance selling regs expiry unless G66 are feeling charitable. Spent the past week solidly playing both with a variety of guitars and the Kemper nails it every time although I will have to get a multi fx
    30 days with g66 mate.

I agree. But Kemper delivers everything I need FX wise too. Tap me up by PM see if I can help. Or discuss on the Kemper thread.
    Alternatively, I am using a Fractal FX8 in conjunction with the onboard Kemper fx, and they work well together. But as Jonathan says, maybe you can get by with just the Kemper? I just like having different options to play around with, and FX8-Edit is a top-notch app for sound design work.
  • sweepy said:
    Past distance selling regs expiry unless G66 are feeling charitable. i have contacted them, Spent the past week solidly playing both with a variety of guitars and the Kemper nails it every time although I will have to get a multi fx
    Mate, the FX are superb on the Kemper, imho. 

You need the footswitch to really open it up though...
    edited September 2018
    sweepy said:
    Mate, the FX are superb on the Kemper, imho. 

You need the footswitch to really open it up though...
    In my case it is a lack of an editor which is the problem, although there is supposedly an official one in the works, and another fella has recently provided a functioning 3rd party solution. I also find the footswitch quite expensive for my needs, which is turning different fx on and off. At the end of the day it all depends on how you are using the gear, and workflow is always the deciding factor for me. For a gigging musician I can see a footswitch would be very useful. As I use mine mostly for recording, each fx combo goes on it's own track, and I use an expression pedal to control various parameters.

And since this is a Fractal thread, I'll just add that the Fractal effects are very good and expand on the Kemper sound palette