My new little friend is very powerful.

What's Hot
The relentless acquisition of step sequencing samplers/synths continues.

To add to my Octatrack II and Analog Four I now have an Elektron Digitakt.
You can do a lot with this little box- much more immediate than the Octatrack II and ... fun. :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    That would confuse the hell out of a dimwit like me. I can play games on the Wii, you shake the controller and press maybe 2 buttons. Xbox and playstation controllers are way too confusing!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    What style of music do you make with these gadgets? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Branshen said:

@Branshen If I've understood @axisus correctly, this device is for pwning n00bz in MMORPGs, not serenading maidens. You can tell it's not an instrument because the numbers go up to 16. Musicians can only count up to 13.

Ever heard of Em7b16? Nope.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Branshen said:
    Most people make various types of electronic music from house to glitchy electro.
    I'm more towards the latter although I've done a fair bit of house music.

I use the Octatrack II in my live looping guitar system- I could do the same with the Digitakt but the Octatrack II allows you to process incoming audio with a thru machine, you can't do that with the Digitakt, you have to sample to process.

The guitar looping system is a Helix + a Fractal FX8 that I only use as a looper.
    The Helix and FX8 loopers are free running (run independent of one another) and I can just flip between them with an expression pedal.
    The Octatrack II can be fed from either the Helix or an FX8 (again with an expression pedal movement) and then that can get sent back to the Helix.

I know people are kidding but IMHO these devices are as much comprehensive and capable instruments as a guitar.

Check this out- using just the internal metronome click of the Octatrack a complete track was made, but taking that metronome and turning it into music:

Or these Digitakt performances:

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    @octatonic Thanks for the thorough explanation and great informative videos. I couldn't wrap my head around how this sequencer was different from an MPC-type sampler and what sort of music you could coax out of it. It seems to me that the sequencer does indeed push it towards a more electronic sound, as opposed to "beat-making".

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Yes it is pretty different from an MPC style workflow.

Although the Digitakt is a marketed as a 'drum computer' you can use it with melodic samples no problem at al.
    Also, because of the genius way the Elektron sequencer works there is nothing stopping you from assigning different samples per step.
    The way to look at it is it is an 8 voice unit- what those voices are is totally open and you can assign pretty much any function to the sequencer as well, just by going into step sequencer mode, holing down the step key for the track/v rice you are on and then changing things. It is pretty powerful.

The Octatrack II is even more powerful but is much deeper and a bit harder to negotiate.
  • DLM said:
    Musicians can only count up to 13.
    Good enough for Bill Bruford. ;)
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We have the same taste in headphones;) 

I’m awaiting delivery of a Polyend Seq 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9443
    Love the Digitakt and the Digitone - and you’re right, incredibly powerful 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom