The Preamp DI Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    mart said:
    Bridgehouse said:
    You will not be disappointed with the 20. Not at all. No DI pedal will do what it does. Many on talkbass says it’s a more authentic vintage Ampeg sound than the 50 - and as such I reckon it’ll be a future classic.
    That’s what I’m hoping. Meanwhile I just need to think of excuses for the rest of the family. Let’s just hope they don’t  know how many bass amps I’ve got already. (I’m pretty sure I don’t know, so they oughtn’t to).
    Whoops, I forgot to follow up on this. The 20 arrived, without crackles. I plugged it into a nice 15” ampeg cab and ... no sound at all. Until I plugged a bass in ...

... and then ... hmm, rather underwhelming. So I tried a different bass and, on and off over the last few weeks, I have tried a number of different basses with mixed results but one clear conclusion:

that mother really likes P basses!

Even just a lowly squier, albeit with thomastik flats to get the Pino vibe, sounds incredible. Jamerson lines sound amazing even with my distinctly sub-Jamerson ability.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • well rodered the behringer preamp...lets give it a spin
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • well rodered the behringer preamp...lets give it a spin
    To be fair it’s not a lot of money down the drain if it ain’t all that :)
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    I received one yesterday (largely on request) as a birthday present.

As soon as I get either new strings on the bass, or a new bass, so I can actually use it, if it doesn't turn me into some kind of epic bass god overnight I'll be holding you personally responsible, @Bridgehouse ;
  • Snags said:

As soon as I get either new strings on the bass, or a new bass, so I can actually use it, if it doesn't turn me into some kind of epic bass god overnight I'll be holding you personally responsible, @Bridgehouse ;
    One what? ;)
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Behringer box of cheap goodness
  • Snags said:
    Behringer box of cheap goodness
    Ah in that case you’ll be a bass god :)
  • Snags said:

Well mine arrived..but our singer, who was bringing his bass this week left his handbrake off and rolled his car over a wall so had to miss practice, neither me or the other guitarist bothered to bring a bass so it stayed in its box*. I blame @Bridgehouse and Ed's leaseplan company will be in touch about the damage to his car. :)

*It is a very nice box mind you.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    PolarityMan said:

..but our singer, who was bringing his bass this week left his handbrake off and rolled his car over a wall
    Well that was stupid. You should always leave a car in gear when parked, exactly to stop it rolling away if the handbrake fails (or isn't put on properly)... my driving instructor - who admittedly was very old school - drummed that into me and I've never forgotten it. But it seems to not be taught nowadays.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Snags said:

Well mine arrived..but our singer, who was bringing his bass this week left his handbrake off and rolled his car over a wall so had to miss practice, neither me or the other guitarist bothered to bring a bass so it stayed in its box*. I blame @Bridgehouse and Ed's leaseplan company will be in touch about the damage to his car. :)

*It is a very nice box mind you.
    I shall file the contact from the company in the appropriate receptacle ;)
  • ICBM said:
    PolarityMan said:

..but our singer, who was bringing his bass this week left his handbrake off and rolled his car over a wall
    Well that was stupid. 
    I don't think he's going to count it as amongst his personal achievements :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • So tried out the Behringer BD and its pretty decent. We used it as a distortion pedal in front of an amp which was then also DI'd into our IEMs and it was getting a nice bit of grit on there.

Certainly beats the repurposing of verious guitar pedals that weve been trying so far.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Most guitar pedals cut too much low end for bass, and the bass knobs are voiced in a different place for putting it back
  • Most guitar pedals cut too much low end for bass, and the bass knobs are voiced in a different place for putting it back
    Oddly enough the pedals you would expect to be ok on bass were the most shite. Precision drive and big muff both terrible for instance.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • A tubescreamer or SD1 can be ok for mild grit if you add the bass back in at the amp
  • I think the Boss MD2 is ok too if I’m remembering correctly 
    Oddly enough the pedals you would expect to be ok on bass were the most shite. Precision drive and big muff both terrible for instance.
    Which muff?
  • Big muff pi (white larger one)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Big muff pi (white larger one)
    Yeah, that one is no good on bass. You need a Russian reissue or a bass big muff. Allegedly the new triangle reissue is also half decent but haven't tried one.
  • The Zvex Mastotron can sound cool on bass.