The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• It's crazy how long it takes for Kemper to get something out of the blocks. It's frustrating to say the least.

Must admit, the lack of editor doesn't bother me in the slightest. What is it you guys struggle with?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    It's crazy how long it takes for Kemper to get something out of the blocks. It's frustrating to say the least.

Must admit, the lack of editor doesn't bother me in the slightest. What is it you guys struggle with?
    TBH, it's just more that the way I have the lounge setup, it's tricky to keep bending down and accessing the front panel when editing. That was something Fractal did very well, IMO.

However, editing on the fly is very very easy I'm finding, so that's good :)
  • @FarleyUK you missing anything else about the Fractal?

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    @FarleyUK you missing anything else about the Fractal?
    Got to be honest..... Not really!
  • Same, mate! :-)

• AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    Hi all,

Had mine for around 4 weeks now and like it.

Using it in a rehearsal room I go straight to the desk with xlrs.   Last night was using the Michael Britt Matchless JJ from profile pack 1 and a tele.  Lovely edge of breakup sound on that profile.    Using the kemper A/B switcher to switch to the next slot for a solo boost.  The next slot is the same with the pure booster added.

I figured out last night that the mixer channel gain needs to be set as low as possible.   Because the channel didn't have a pad switch. Got my kemper output level fixed at -18db. Got a nice clear sound last night without the fuss!    

It's a learning curve but enjoying it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJP said:
    Hi all,

Had mine for around 4 weeks now and like it.

Using it in a rehearsal room I go straight to the desk with xlrs.   Last night was using the Michael Britt Matchless JJ from profile pack 1 and a tele.  Lovely edge of breakup sound on that profile.    Using the kemper A/B switcher to switch to the next slot for a solo boost.  The next slot is the same with the pure booster added.

I figured out last night that the mixer channel gain needs to be set as low as possible.   Because the channel didn't have a pad switch. Got my kemper output level fixed at -18db. Got a nice clear sound last night without the fuss!    

It's a learning curve but enjoying it!
    I've learned similar lessons lately and have been much better off for lowering the output level to around the same place as you, maybe even lower. I've since enjoyed no clipping in my DAW, which, being a bit of a n00b, I didn't realise was happening.

• AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    Nice one.  Boo to digital clipping.
    How are you hooking up to the DAW? I've noticed the SPDIF connections..
  • @AndyJP I gave up on SPDIF as I kept getting a shed load of noise (likely due to a cheap optical to SPDIF converter I had), so am just running stereo jacks out of the Kemper into my interface (XLR in) (Babyface Pro).

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Well, G66 refunded me for the AxeFx3 so I decided to get a 59 Les Paul built for me :)
  • sweepy said:
    Well, G66 refunded me for the AxeFx3 so I decided to get a 59 Les Paul built for me :)
    How are you enjoying the Kemper mate? Great news about the custom order, congrats again! :-)

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Kemper is going great, just getting to grips with the effects and routing 
  • sweepy said:
    Kemper is going great, just getting to grips with the effects and routing 
    Great stuff, pleased you're enjoying it. It's quite cool the number of new Kemper users we've had here in the last 4 to 5 months, shows it's still world class.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    I have an amplifire that has sorted my gigging gear but I would love to have a kemper again.. the dynamics are just on another league. If they only could consider doing something in a pedalboard format!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, I think we'd all like that too, mate!

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    Anyone using the Mission Engineering Gemini 2? I’m looking for the right FRFR solution (if there is one for me) and I’m just wondering how people find it.

Thanks!
  • I have been having volume issues, i.e. my housemates...well, one of my housemates has been more bothered of late by my practice levels at home. I really really love valves, I prefer them, but I know how close a Kemper can get to the real thing, and the need for something more suited to home-playing (seeing as I’m not giving with the guitar, only with the saxophones, at the moment) has recently become more acute.

IF I were to take the plunge, which Kemper would be best for me? If I ever got a chance to gig with the guitar again, being able to play through a cab would be great, just to get closer to the “pushing air” feel that a real valve amp gives you, so a powered Kemper may be preferable, but I suppose getting an unpowered one now and getting a decent power amp later if the need arose for one would be an option.

I would be playing with headphones a fair bit, but couldn’t go without a speaker to play the Kemper through, so any recommendations there would be welcome.

Budget wise, I’d have to sell the rest of my pedals and my 65 DRRI, and with a bit of extra £ I could raise around £2k. Would this cover what I’m looking for.

I’m going to GG now just to try one out. Go on, Kemper users, tempt me over to the dark side of you can...
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    Buy the one with the amp mate. 
  • Buy the one with the amp mate. 
    What makes you recommend the powered one?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    You can use it mate with a normal cab too as well as a passive or active FRFR