I only ever do the same things...how do I get better?

What's Hot
GodlykepowerGodlykepower Frets: 174
edited October 2018 in Theory
I’m completely self-taught, and not bad at doing what I can do...but the problem is, I have no real idea what I’m actually doing.

I know enough chords to get by, but end up playing the same ones in a couple of different positions, I only really know one or two of the the same old scales (blues and pentatonic) for improvisation, in the same fingering patterns...but I mainly just make stuff up as I go along - I’ll play random notes and see what happens, and I’ll improvise lead guitar with random notes - sometimes it’s hit and sometimes it’s a miss.

Basically, I feel stuck in a rut.

I’d like to be a better guitarist...know more chords, learn some more useful scales and be able to play them in different patterns, have a better understanding of theory etc.

I don’t want to take any exams, nor do I want a teacher...I want to do it on my own, at my pace.
I have played with other people before which was fun, but I have no intention of joining a band...I just want to be better and more diverse. I’m only interested in blues and rock, with a bit of metal for good measure, and would like to be more diverse across those genres.

What do you suggest I do?
I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited October 2018
    Learn the superlocrian scale over the V chord if you haven’t already. It’ll open a whole new palette of sound to you 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    I was where you were a few years back. One of the best things I learnt was how to play the pentatonic scale along the neck in different positions. I learnt using the CAGED method and it really helped unlock the neck for solo ideas.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I reckon the cure is repertoire
    try to learn something a little outside of your native style
    something different and challenging..

then experiment with what you've learned and try to somehow import some of it back into your native style
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • Scales and arpeggios worked for me plus a bit of scale theory. There is merit in what @Clarky says about repertoire as it gets you to see what other people have done with their scales arpeggios and theory, but tbh doing the Rockschool grade books (no need to sit the exams just do the technical exercises learn the theory and play the set pieces) will sort you out for most of it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Its going to be very hard to progress by yourself without a tutor. I've been teaching for 10 years now and people will eventually seek tuition after trying to go alone. There are many benefits of having one, motivation, structure, inspiration and direction. You may not like the idea of it now but you will save yourself years of frustration and lostness. Are you worried you won't be able to keep up with lessons? Or you just don't like people telling you what to do? These are all things I experienced before I went to ACM about 11 years ago but thankfully I saw sense and did 4 years there. I would have never progressed to where I am now without it and still be where you seem to be at, same old chords and no knowledge of scales, etc. But ultimately its your decision, if you want to try to go it alone good luck, there's so many things to learn and it can be overwhelming what to do and in what order etc. Also a lot of information on the internet is incorrect and guitar tabs are often not right.

I use the RGT syllabus with a lot of my students and its a very good one, structured and details exactly what you need to know for the required grade. Some just work through the handbook and don't take an exam, that's fine by me, as long as they're improving by the grade and learning along the way. There are different syllabus types too, performance only ones where you don't need to take exams, you can video your performance and send it into them for assessment. That is, of course, if you want to. Its quite versatile and suits people who want to do different things. Rockschool have good pieces too on their repertoire, from modern rock pop stuff to old classic.

I'm not trying to sell lessons or anything but I for one can say they will benefit more than disadvantage. If you do want to go lone-ranger style then I do suggest you work from one of the RGT handbooks as a reference as it'll tell you what you need for a certain grade.
    Learning songs outside your preferred listening/playing genre will do that too and keeps it fun and practical.

Good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Personally, I've not found guitar lessons that helpful.

The best thing for learning and developing has been my looper, it drives me to create new sounds and chord progressions. 
  • Fuengi said:

The best thing for learning and developing has been my looper, it drives me to create new sounds and chord progressions. 
    Might have been the teacher not the actual lessons. Also its what you take from it, the gardner provides the water but the learner as the plant has to drink it!
    Scales and arpeggios worked for me plus a bit of scale theory. There is merit in what @Clarky says about repertoire as it gets you to see what other people have done with their scales arpeggios and theory, but tbh doing the Rockschool grade books (no need to sit the exams just do the technical exercises learn the theory and play the set pieces) will sort you out for most of it.
    the thing I like about repertoire is that whatever it is that you're learning has context
    scales, arps, theory, knowhow are great.. but without context they are more science than art
  • Fuengi said:

I’ve got a Digitech Trio+ drum machine/looper....it’s absolutely brilliant as a learning aid.
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    You could always do what I’ve done.....get stuck in a rut and then head over to the Classified section B)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Different tunings.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • blobb said:
    Different tunings.

I'll try different tunings after I've mastered standard tuning!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Clarky said:
    Scales and arpeggios worked for me plus a bit of scale theory. There is merit in what @Clarky says about repertoire as it gets you to see what other people have done with their scales arpeggios and theory, but tbh doing the Rockschool grade books (no need to sit the exams just do the technical exercises learn the theory and play the set pieces) will sort you out for most of it.
    the thing I like about repertoire is that whatever it is that you're learning has context
    scales, arps, theory, knowhow are great.. but without context they are more science than art
    Rockschool set pieces does the "art" bit for me, as (1) they are based on real "art" by well-known players but also (2) graded in difficulty so that progressively trickier techniques are required for increasing grade levels, which means the piece should in toto be achievable for the learner.

But yes I agree, you do need the art.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Transcribe as often as you can.
    Clarky said:
    Rockschool set pieces does the "art" bit for me, as (1) they are based on real "art" by well-known players but also (2) graded in difficulty so that progressively trickier techniques are required for increasing grade levels, which means the piece should in toto be achievable for the learner.

But yes I agree, you do need the art.
    one of my students did a Rockschool grade
    I helped him prep one of the pieces [it was very Dream Theater]
    looked pretty good to me
    I liked the idea that there was a part in there where you get to play your own solo
    flexing creative muscle is important too

octatonic said:
    Transcribe as often as you can.
    have a wis
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    A new guitar!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:
    A new guitar!
    I was going to LOL that, but then I thought again about why I keep a variety of different guitars. They DO make you play differently - sometimes. So it's not always a silly idea. If you've got a pointy guitar for playing loud fast pointy music on, try getting a jazzbox - or vice versa.