Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

HX Stomp

What's Hot

Comments

• Stu_tate said:
    Give me the HX Effects in the Stomp size then I can finally retire my M5. 
    HX Stomp can dedicate its DSP to nothing but effects (in fact, the first 20 or so presets are effects only), and it's smaller than a M5.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• sgosden said:
    anyone seen anything about ground lift on the output? or is it still going to suffer from phatom power?
    No ground lift switch, but no issue with phantom power.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Stu_tate said:
    HX Stomp can dedicate its DSP to nothing but effects (in fact, the first 20 or so presets are effects only), and it's smaller than a M5.
    Very attractive to me. It'll allow me to be neurotic and keep my mainstays but indulge my love of VMWare type stuff on the board. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Stu_tate said:
    Hi Eric!
    Have you ever considered putting a couple of these together, adding some I/O, a midi floor controller and an integrated expression pedal
    I bet that would sell like hot cakes ..
    ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Ahh that looks like an absolutely stellar piece of kit, but all it does is make my gear choice going forward that much more difficult... God damnit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Excuse my ignorance/laziness but is there a way of using this to jam along with stuff on laptop on headphones? Thinking for work lunchtimes
  • Excuse my ignorance/laziness but is there a way of using this to jam along with stuff on laptop on headphones? Thinking for work lunchtimes
    Yes, because it works as an audio interface.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    Stu_tate said:

They look to be of a similiar same size in that pedal playground, the HX being wider where as the M5 is deeper.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Excuse my ignorance/laziness but is there a way of using this to jam along with stuff on laptop on headphones? Thinking for work lunchtimes
    Does it work as an audio interface for IOS devices? That would be cool.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    edited October 2018
    mrkb said:
    Excuse my ignorance/laziness but is there a way of using this to jam along with stuff on laptop on headphones? Thinking for work lunchtimes
    Does it work as an audio interface for IOS devices? That would be cool.
    I don’t see why not
    the Helix does (with a camera kit)
    Thank you - decision made then!
  • ricky50ricky50 Frets: 159
    edited October 2018

For those not sure where the HX Effects and the Stomp sit I’d say get both. For me it opens up a whole range of possible options. At the moment my entire pedalboard is an HX Effects into an Effectrode Blackbird and then into the front of my tube amp and it sounds incredible. It’s really compact and I’d convinced myself I didn’t need anything else. With the arrival of this amazing bit of kit I’m pretty sure I can go into a Stomp preamp block and tweak it to achieve the same thing so the Blackbird could go. I can use the HX effects in front of the Stomp to go to FOH through a split path with an amp and cab and still go into the front of my amp where I like to be. I can store a whole load of IRs and change them using MIDI with the HX effects as the MIDI controller.  I can program a few presets so the Stomp can act as a backup if the HX effects goes down (mine has frozen numerous times). I can use the Stomp as a stand-alone effects unit and DI for acoustic gigs. I can put the HX Effects through the Stomp and use headphones for practice. I’ve got a few extra blocks if I need them - when the new pitch effects arrive that’s going to be very useful.  I can probably do much more when I get my hands on one and can see what it can do. Yes I could probably achieve all of that for a similar price with a Helix lite but it would be bigger and more cumbersome, wouldn’t give me a backup if it went down, would be overkill for acoustic gigs, wouldn’t have scribble strips, couldn’t detach anything like the Stomp bit to take on a plane or a holiday etc etc. It just wouldn’t have the same versatility.  All this choice is phenomenal.  It’s a no brainer. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    TimmyO said:
    I'd it had an XLR in it would kill the  acoustic singer-player pedal market! (Comp, para eqs, vocal reverb etc) 
    No reason you can’t use an XLR-TRS
    input isn't TRS 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Stu_tate said:
    ...but limited to 6 blocks, however low DSP fx you intended to use... ;-) 

I did ask about that on the FB group - is there a specific reason for that limitation? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ricky50 said:

For those not sure where the HX Effects and the Stomp sit I’d say get both.

Except...the HX Effects and Stomp together are £120 more than a Helix LT, which would actually give you the functionality of both and way more besides; the only places it falls down are the number of switchable loops and footprint (but the added functionality negates those to a certain degree).
    <space for hire>
  • TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:
    I'd it had an XLR in it would kill the  acoustic singer-player pedal market! (Comp, para eqs, vocal reverb etc) 
    No reason you can’t use an XLR-TRS
    input isn't TRS 
    Isn’t the loop switchable between instrument and line though? The inputs only advantage is changeable impedance for guitar stuff?
  • TimmyO said:
    Stu_tate said:

I did ask about that on the FB group - is there a specific reason for that limitation? 
    Even though it has one of the same DSP chips I’m assuming the other chips, bits and bobs on the motherboard that help the DSP run quickly had to be ditched due to lack of space 
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    rossyamaha said: 
    ... and have a sit down wee. 
    Good man!!!
    I sometimes treat myself to a sit down poo.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    TimmyO said:
    Stu_tate said:

All the Helix range has an upper limit on the maximum number of blocks so that's not unique to this new product.

There is a lengthy interview with Mr.Igloo in this video:

In that interview he says that one of the prime reasons for the limitation of 6 blocks is UI usability/clarity.  He also says that the (presumed to be in the works) pitch shifting effects and possibly some future amp models are likely be more DSP intensive and so they wanted to leave some DSP headroom for these and not paint themselves into a corner.

“He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • So.. after you've used one for amp, and one for cab, you are essentially left with 4.... and given the power of the eq blocks with digital stuff .. it could be 3 only .. 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?