Solo of the Month (SotM) #41 - Chat

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
edited October 2018 in Making Music
This is the 41st solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open, and remains open for submissions until 11:30pm on 24th October 2018.

Here's this month's backing track (you can download it from soundcloud). Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

Discussion: This track is kindly provided by @Bellycaster based on one of his previous RotM entries. @fastonebaz suggested that maybe we could use previous RotM entries. It saves me some work as well as resulting in a backing track in a style very different to mine.

Track details as provided by @Bellycaster
Tempo:120bpm

Chords
E Maj to Esus4.........................8 bars
C#min to G#min.......................4 bars
Emin to Bmin............................2 bars
F Maj7.......................................2 bars
E Maj to Esus4.........................2 bars

The backing track has 5dB of headroom to add your solos. Add your solo and (as a guideline) try to avoid boosting the overall level beyond that if possible. That way the entries should be at roughly the same level and we won't get into loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline of 24th October 2018, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
Voting will end on 11.30pm 31st October 2018
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends. If there are 8 or more entries, then the order and scores of those in the top half will be announced.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm41-2018-10

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Ooh I like this tune,  good one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Nice track @Bellycaster There’s a lot of possibilities with this, I think we could see quite a variety of approach. 
  • Cheers, the remix just involved taking out most of the Guitars and putting the Piano Chords and strummed Guitar in for the melody. If I could make a suggestion for the queue of backing track styles? I was thinking a nice Reggae one would be a change. Some of the lead work in Bob Marley's stuff is wonderful, might make an interesting challenge for us.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    Are we allowed to include a little bit of an existing (famous) solo into our SOTM's as part of our compositions or is that not allowed?
  • ...If I could make a suggestion for the queue of backing track styles? I was thinking a nice Reggae one would be a change...
    OK I'll add that to the list. So that makes the following suggestions I've got so far IIRC:
    1) Funky from @Rowby1 ;
    2) Odd time signature from @fastonebaz ;
    3) Reggae from @Bellycaster ;

Maybe I could mix a couple of ideas and do a Funky track with a odd time signature next, followed by Reggae after that. Unless anyone else would like to have a go at a backing track.

It's not a competition.
  • Are we allowed to include a little bit of an existing (famous) solo into our SOTM's as part of our compositions or is that not allowed?
    Do what you like as far as I'm concerned. I've made the occasional reference in the past.
    It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Likey likey. This is very nice indeed.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Splendid cheers! 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    ...If I could make a suggestion for the queue of backing track styles? I was thinking a nice Reggae one would be a change...
    OK I'll add that to the list. So that makes the following suggestions I've got so far IIRC:
    1) Funky from @Rowby1 ;

Maybe I could mix a couple of ideas and do a Funky track with a odd time signature next, followed by Reggae after that. Unless anyone else would like to have a go at a backing track.

Happy for any of my BRotM entries to be used!. If you want them rejigged let me know!.
  • poopot said:
    ...If I could make a suggestion for the queue of backing track styles? I was thinking a nice Reggae one would be a change...
    1) Funky from @Rowby1 ;

Happy for any of my BRotM entries to be used!. If you want them rejigged let me know!.

I'll PM you. I've found one of your BRotM entries that I think would be a great funky backing track for SotM.

It's not a competition.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    And entered.  Quick 'n' cheerful this month.
    I've composed mine in my head I just need to find time to record it .
  • And entered.  Quick 'n' cheerful this month.
    I'll post a playlist when I get another entry.

It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 ; sent my entry in.   =)  100% original, honest guv.  I wonder if @Bellycaster ; imagined this when composing the backing track  :)

oh yes - nothing special in the rig, just DI into Cubase with a few of the built-in standard inserts.  Played with a Gibson SG Standard 2018.
  • @stratman3142 ; sent my entry in...

That makes two entries in the playlist in the original post. Perhaps we can start a new game of squeezing in references to famous solos or melodies :)

It's not a competition.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    edited October 2018
    Done mine, which is now in the playlist.

@fastonebaz - two can play at that game. Now if only I had room for a 335.

It's not a competition.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Sounds great.  I had a play earlier but still trying to come up with something I am happy with. Especially around that tricksy bit towards the end. 
  • @stratman3142 ; sent my entry in.   =)  100% original, honest guv.  I wonder if @Bellycaster ; imagined this when composing the backing track  :)

I've heard it before somewhere, I can't quite place it though :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Wow guys! They’re great!! Think I’ll pull a sicky this month :)