Feline Guitars Strat - "Evangeline" tribute model

What's Hot
FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11494

A project inspired by a guitar belonging to a friend and astounding guitarist /guitar teacher: Martin Mickels.
He is something of a local legend, playing in a mix of high profile bands and a local covers band. He is also a very popular guitar teacher  and an all round good guy. Some of you may have seen him on last years "Guitar Star" on Sky Arts.
I have looked after Martin's guitars for the best part of 20 years now , and his strat has had a fair bit of attention as he plays it so much and plays very hard. So last time we refretted it I took some more detailed notes with a thought to replicating it.

Martin has a mix of Lace Sensor pickups on his strat - may seem a little out-dated but they sound amazing in his hands so we have replicated those here on a similar black smoked mirror pick-guard.

The guitar also has a Gotoh 510 series bridge with a steel block and narrow spaced saddles

A nice candy apple finish on an alder body - with an all access neck  joint using threaded inserts and machine bolts.

An Earvana nut and Sperzel locking tuners  at the headstock end (colour matched)

Side markers are the glowin the dark "luminlay " variety whilst the front markers are Paua abalone
Frets are Dunlop 6155 like the ones on contemporary Fenders

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Looks stunning Jon.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11494
    tFB Trader
    We'll be doing a few more strat and tele types for a bit (to go with all the Les Pauls and Flying Vs that I love so much)

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    I kick myself for not managing to grab that gold top PRS-alike you had at the Guitar Show a couple of years ago.
    :(

Perhaps I should stop spending money on self builds, and just get a proper guitar built by a professional
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    that was a nice guitar - got bought by my friend Roger who helped get me to the show that year.

• Nice :)

Lace Sensors are incredibly underrated pickups in my opinion. For my purposes, they cover all the useful ground from heavy rock (and even straying into metal) all the way down to bluesy and ambient stuff.
    <space for hire>
  • Damn! FFS, that's awesome
    tFB Trader
    Here are a couple of videos for reference 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Looks absolutely fantastic Jon and I'm really digging this guys sound!  Thanks for posting!  I absolutely love a CAR strat it just looks so damn cool.  Best of luck with this model, hope you sell loads!  I'd have one if I had the money :D
    tFB Trader
    Arktik83 said:
    Looks absolutely fantastic Jon and I'm really digging this guys sound!  Thanks for posting!  I absolutely love a CAR strat it just looks so damn cool.  Best of luck with this model, hope you sell loads!  I'd have one if I had the money :D
    It's a one off (for now) but it may be for sale .....

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Lovely looking guitar
    you make a very valid point about pickups, Lace Sensors are not very popular these days with lots of people more worried about the pedigree of the wire, if it was hand wound etc etc.

listening to a really good player like Martin it all becomes rather moot.
  • What a beauty, great pictures.
  • That is magnificent. I can appreciate the craftsmanship of the Lion guitars but this is right up my street! :heart: 
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Been shared by Lace themselves on Facebook :)
    <space for hire>
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    Ref my question about the single pickup one, this answers it ;)
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • FishguyFishguy Frets: 31
    Looks stunning!