New Carr Telstar

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
I know there are some Carr fans around here, myself and @Wazmeister included. The specs of the new Telstar had me buzzing - just my sort of thing (on paper): tweedy 1x12 with reverb and attenuator. But the thing is, it just doesn't sound very good to me in the clips. Disappointing, especially for a £2k+ amp. Maybe @DougCoda will get one in so I can try it in the flesh...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I’ve had a Carr Mercury and a Skylark....Both really good amps but didn’t blow me away for the cost and the hype of them...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    I've tried a couple and owned one but I'm in the same camp too I.e. nice amps but not £2k plus good. But that's probably because of the weak pound to the dollar. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    Im a fan as most of you know...

The Rambler is DEF a £2k plus amp, and is ultra reliable, like all Carrs. 

I do agree that most of the vids issued by Steve dint always sound that good.
  • I've tried a few and owned a Sportsman - there are far better amps for far less cash. And whilst they're cosmetically lovely, I'm not at all convinced by them internally either.

And yeah, that demo sounds a bit shit.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    I think the clips sound good but more for the performance perhaps as the tone doesn't vary much - even 'tween guitars. Not a tone I'd kick out of bed though...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I have often wondered about brands like Carr and the like, essentially they make good copies of amps that are already great amps even though they are mass made. Just how much better are they? Is it a bit of snake oil? 

Again, this isn’t meant to be argumentative. I just never worked out why I would buy a Carr over a fender. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    edited October 2018
    I re visited a carr Rambler recently and wouldnt have had it back...my tastes have moved on perhaps, but i wasnt massively impressed 2nd time round.   Tried a few others in shops but none blew me away at all...

Lazy J i thought was brilliant, the Louis Electric Princeton, Two Rock also, and the Bartel Starwood which is the latest flame, 
  • I had a Mercury V and just wasn’t that into it. Obviously built well but didn’t stay long
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16010
    I'm a big Carr Fan but I think that there are some models which are nothing special
    Rambler is an outstanding amp as is the bigger brother Slant V
    The Viceroy is a great amp but very overlooked.Sportsman is very good.
    The others ......Impala, Lincoln,Mercury,Bloke,etc etc are good but not special and not worth the price.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    I’ve had a few and ended up with a Lazy J and a couple of vintage Fenders but the Slant remains a fantastic amp. The Viceroy was great too. I found my Rambler a bit sterile, but they are said to be way nicer with the speaker they now put in. I liked the Sportsman but it wasn’t exceptional to me

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    edited October 2018

Wowsers, Carr have fallen from grace!

I've had a Sportsman as my only amp for the last 6 years or so. Maybe it's not the most characterful amp in the world and (I've said it before) if you want the deepest lows and sparkliest of highs of a Princeton (which it is based on loosely) then there's probably better options.

What it is exceptional at for me is sounding great and being so easy to live with.

Never have to re-bias / built like an out-house / not a huge tube compliment to replace / easy to dial in with just the right amount of range in the controls / never given me any frustrating moments in 6 years.

That's all the practical bits out of the way.

Sound wise - it has a great base clean tone and takes pedals really well, something that can't be said for all (most) Princeton based circuits - this is the trade off for me with a sound that is so well balanced, it adapts to all situations that I've had in the last 6 years whilst the pedals and guitars have spun around it.

May sound like small praise, but not at all, it's an amp that delivers exactly what I want over the long term - one you marry rather than have a short term affair with, if you like.

The boutique amp market is funny - all those who were praising the Louie Electric Columbia as the best amp in the world ever last year - how many still have them? How many have moved on to the next must have?

Basically, there are loads of choices out there and Carr should be considered along with the rest, just find something that works for you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Bought a Sportsman from @Dan ;last week and really like it - I just play at home, but I like the controls, sound, panel layout, ease of use, etc. I have a Blues Junior and like that as well - different sound, more 'sparkly', but horses for courses. My little Ampeg Jet ii (reissue) again gives something else, so I'm pretty pleased with them all. 
    Call me Dave.
  • westwest Frets: 994
    carr rambler about 10 years ish ... minor gripe wish it was a head ( the orientation is different , i asked steve carr )  external cabs generally sound better than the encloser it comes in .. my fuchs 2x12 ported  closed back sounded phenom .....
  • DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 642
    Lebarque said:
    I know there are some Carr fans around here, myself and @Wazmeister included. The specs of the new Telstar had me buzzing - just my sort of thing (on paper): tweedy 1x12 with reverb and attenuator. But the thing is, it just doesn't sound very good to me in the clips. Disappointing, especially for a £2k+ amp. Maybe @DougCoda will get one in so I can try it in the flesh...

Will have them in about 4 weeks.....
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    I have a Carr Mercury and a Rambler. Both exceptional IMO
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I like the clip actually, sounds good.   Personally if I was after something similar I'd just go through my requirements with a British builder and get something similar built, unless I tried one in a shop and couldn't contain myself.
    But ultimately for £2,450 your imagination would be the limit.

They probably make much more sense in the States.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Is not just me who thinks amp demos only give you a ball park of what they sound like in the flesh?

I play through a 2x12 Carr Rambler, and think it sounds stunning. However I had a Skylark for a short period, it got moved on fairly quick as it sounded pretty average. The rambler is a modern day classic for a reason.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    BBBlues said:
    Is not just me who thinks amp demos only give you a ball park of what they sound like in the flesh?

I play through a 2x12 Carr Rambler, and think it sounds stunning. However I had a Skylark for a short period, it got moved on fairly quick as it sounded pretty average. The rambler is a modern day classic for a reason.
    lol I said that about my J20 I.e. a modern day classic. I still moved it on. I must be mad :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    6L6 and EL84 output valves running together? probably a single ended amp, like a champ that has its own sound and will not be to everyone's taste.
    Demo videos are very hard to really get an idea what the amp sounds like but more importantly feels like, I didn't think that sounded bad through my computer speakers for what it is, they were going for a certain thing but didn't really show the dynamics of the amp that I am sure it does have when turned up properly.

for these low powered amps I always wonder....... would a tiny terror sound better? and at that price it should blow the TT out the water.
  • Still in love with my Skylark and I've tried loads of amps...  Can't beat if for portability (unless we're going down the Helix stomp route) and ease of use - the attenuator is superb, and it's given me zero trouble.