Flangers

What's Hot
Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
I'm thinking of purchasing a flanger and am thinking of either a Boss BF-2 or an Ibanez FL-9. I've read that the FL-9 has a more subtle effect. Can the FL-9 do the noise that sounds like a jet taking off that the BF-2 is famous for.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spirit7spirit7 Frets: 333
    If you can find one, the Hartman flanger is the best I’ve played - though doesn’t do the “jet noise” quite as well as some.  It’s more at the Andy Summers rather than the EVH end of the spectrum, but does that sound incredibly well.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    edited October 2018
    For jet noise have the flanger after any gain pedals...
    I've had a rummage cos I was interested too...
    I've just tried the FL-9  -- mine appears to be particularly subtle to the point where I'm not sure it's working unless I manually twiddle the knobs.  Not much help for you there.  Really fancy another one of these as it happens. 
    Line 6 Liqua-Flange -- lots of sounds, some a bit jet plane, most a bit iffy.
    Joyo Classic Flanger -- has a picture of a jet on the front.  It definitely does "jet taking off".

As I was rummaging I discovered that I hadn't sold my Boss SD-2!  Result.  (Or perhaps I did sell it and I bought another one, who knows.)
  • I really like the BF-2. It's a flangery flanger, if you catch my drift, unlike the Electric Mistress, which to me sounds 50/50 flanger/chorus. Lots of people like that. I'm not so keen. I do, however, love putting a chorus after the BF-2, as the way the modulations interact sounds heavenly. Especially in stereo.

I like the FL-9 too, though I don't think it does the jet thing as good as the Boss one. Mine* isn't subtle. I wonder if your LFO isn't working properly. I've seen a few LFO caps start crapping out on Ibby pedals- I think the electrolyte dries out over time.
    Although the delay time (ie the manual setting) is pretty much identical in both the BF-2 and the FL-9, I think the BF-2's is maybe deeper acting and more linear in its effect. The FL-9 has a pronounced "yow" at the bottom of the LFO travel which I find a bit displeasing. Interestingly, quite a few phasers do that too, which also annoys me.

I have a lot of different flanger pedals and the BF-2 remains my favourite, although the old Carlsbro Alu series flanger sounds amazing. It's all over lots of Bauhaus recordings.

Last year I modified a couple of old MXR 117 flangers to run off a mains adaptor for someone. Both had the SAD1024 BBD chips and I have to say, I was somewhat underwhelmed to be honest.

*It's actually an FLL Flanger from the "master" series, but the circuit is the same as the FL-9. I had an FL-9 a while back and the FLL sounds exactly as I remembered it.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    Both sound fairly similar to my ears - they both come from the Boss school of flanger. 
    Not keen on either to be honest but then, I prefer the Mistress - or these days I use a Mooer Elec Lady, as it’s cheaper and not so damned noisy.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    Thanks for all the input guys. I'm looking for a flanger that isn't subtle because I have a chorus pedal on most of the time with the speed at 0 and depth at 6 so I would be using the flanger for jet noises.
  • You may want to check out the MXR flangers.

The Micro Flanger is really nice sounding and can get pretty wooshy. 

If you do decide you want a BF-2 hit me up, I've got one I can let go. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    The FL9 is more flexible, it can go from chorus to phase but if you want jet then the BF-2 is probably the way to go. My choice is the HF-2, I have it on most of the time with bass, makes everything silky and fluid.

The mxr micro is a very nice sound but it has a noticeable volume boost if that matters.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    "Flangers" makes interesting Googling...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    The Hartman is based on the Electric Mistress AFAIK.

How about this?

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Longamp Roxanne for the win, if you want the mistress flavour.

• My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    The Micro Flanger is really nice sounding and can get pretty wooshy.

I didn't really think it did the EVH jet thing all that well... the EVH one (and I presume the regular MXR 117 one does too, but I haven't tried it) does.

I think the Joyo probably does too, though I started sort of being able to hear mine going even when it was off, I think :D I thought it was maybe a clone of the Ibanez? I could be wrong about that, though (plus I haven't tried the Ibanez one).

I haven't tried the Boss one, either.
  • Digitech Nautila, super versatile and sounds great.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I fancy the Alexander F13 Neo for unsubtle/ wacky noises. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    and..the Ibanez Airplane Flanger would do it, you'd have to look for s/h.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Look out for an old Tokai TFL-1. Does nice deep flanges (Oo. Er. Missus.) in a way that is non-Boss enough for me. Not a fan of the BF-2, me.
    Anyway, the Tokais crop up quite often on Ebay.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    The Maxon VJR9 is the most ludicrous jet plane flange pedal i've ever used. I love it.