What 2x12

What's Hot
dariusdarius Frets: 619
Ive got a Mesa black shadow 1x12 which sounds great and I have no need to change BUT my bandmate has had a 4x12 setup for a while now. Unmic'd gigs (most of them) have started to feel a bit unbalanced. 
So what 2x12 should I be looking at when I don't really want one. And def don't any a 4x12! And I know absolutely nothing about speakers other than they have magnets in em. 
Amp is EVH5150iii 50w. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    Can I get the Mesa cab back then?  =)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Thomann do an own-brand (Harley-Benton) 2x12 with Celestions in. I bought one and liked it but haven't used it a lot, however it does have a good reputation.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Probably the matching EVH 2x12" - it's designed to go with the head. A friend of mine had that set-up, and it wasn't too unmanageable - but you will need to raise the cabinet up, or at the very least tilt it back on its legs... it sits very low to the ground and doesn't project well otherwise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    Definitely the one I have for sale in the classifieds  ;)

oversized 2 x 12 with Celestion V30s for less than a Harley Benton cab with V30s
  • dariusdarius Frets: 619
    mrkb said:
    Can I get the Mesa cab back then?  =)
    No! Its too nice.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I had a great experience with Zilla a few weeks ago, held my hand through the whole process. And the cabinet sounds fantastic

Very responsive via email if you have questions or need help making a decision 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
    edited October 2018
    Matrix NL212 - sounds fantastic and huge for high-gain stuff, and it doesn't weigh much at all.

If mine was nicked, there's no way I'd consider getting anything other cab to replace it.
    <space for hire>
  • Matrix NL212 - sounds fantastic and huge for high-gain stuff, and it doesn't weigh much at all.

If mine was nicked, there's no way I'd consider getting anything other cab to replace it.
    Do you still raise/tilt this??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Matrix NL212 - sounds fantastic and huge for high-gain stuff, and it doesn't weigh much at all.

Nah - if I can't put it sufficiently far behind me that my ears are in the cone, I just stand it on its side and use it vertically.
    <space for hire>

Nah - if I can't put it sufficiently far behind me that my ears are in the cone, I just stand it on its side and use it vertically.
    Doesnt that affect the porting feature??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Not that I've noticed, no.
    <space for hire>

Not that I've noticed, no.
    Ok Cheers
    My trading feedback

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Zilla.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    edited October 2018
    Actually, if you'll consider a custom built cab you won't get better than a Hoffnine. His cabs are absolutely outstanding.

I'm having one of these built with a pair of Alnico Creambacks as we speak:

If you're going custom I would definitely get a vertical angled cab - since it's not a wide head it will sit nicely on top.

Vertical gives better projection and dispersion and takes up less stage space. I think the only reason it's not more widely used is because it doesn't look 'traditional'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    ICBM said:
    If you're going custom I would definitely get a vertical angled cab - since it's not a wide head it will sit nicely on top.

Vertical gives better projection and dispersion and takes up less stage space. I think the only reason it's not more widely used is because it doesn't look 'traditional'.
    Thomann do one of those with the V30's in now.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage_vertical.htm
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    I was gonna give another shout for a Vertical 2x12. After having the victory vertical 2x12, the normal ones seem nearly pointless now. so much more dispersion and project like ICBM says, still sounds big, and the sound it more directed at where you want to hear it rather than along the floor so perfect for your 'un mic'd' problems youre facing at the moment.

I'm about to get a cab made by Zilla and they've been great throughout so far!
    Dodge said:

It looks like it's 13mm narrower than the head - 495mm vs 508mm - but it should still fit OK.

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    ICBM said:
    Dodge said:

It looks like it's 13mm narrower than the head - 495mm vs 508mm - but it should still fit OK.
    It might sound ok too with the V30's elsewhere.  ;-)