Solo of the Month (SotM) #41 - Chat

What's Hot

Comments

• Rowby1 said:
    Wow guys! They’re great!! Think I’ll pull a sicky this month :)
    If you do we will find you and Melvin you :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    In terms of recording gear, I used my latest  budget studio gizmo, AMPLIFi TT, set to some kind of slightly crunchy blackface setting, a Visual Sound Route 66 compressor with the gain high, and a bit of the drive side for the climax. 

Oh yes, and one of the infamous discounted R8s doing the heavy lifting.  

Usually I amalgamate the best of a few takes but did this in one take because I wanted a video for the R8 thread. 

https://youtu.be/juE38fI6Ots
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    edited October 2018
    Sent.

Great track. From a single listen I immediately got a melody in my head, recorded it then my computer crashed just as I had to go out. I think I've managed to recapture what originally didn't save!
  • I'm away at the moment. I'll update the playlist when I get back.
    It's not a competition.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Entry sent.

My approach was mostly based around the chords, with specific notes I wanted to hit at the chord changes, and in particular trying to make the transition from an Emaj scale to Emin (and back again) sound natural. Not 100% I achieved it going in, coming out I'm a bit happier. The sound was the neck pickup on my GS, a simple clean tone through the amp, with some EQ and reverb in Reaper.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    In terms of recording gear, I used my latest  budget studio gizmo, AMPLIFi TT, set to some kind of slightly crunchy blackface setting, a Visual Sound Route 66 compressor with the gain high, and a bit of the drive side for the climax. 

Oh yes, and one of the infamous discounted R8s doing the heavy lifting.  

Usually I amalgamate the best of a few takes but did this in one take because I wanted a video for the R8 thread. 

https://youtu.be/juE38fI6Ots
    I was thinking of doing a video too as I tend to record all mine in one take (just that there are 100s of takes lol).  I like watching how it's played.  
    I did play mine all in one take (after lots of practice, yes!) ... but actually, the version I've submitted is about 5 segments merged together, since there's a couple of awkward transitions that flow better if they overlap slightly.
    That video is great @Modellista
    @ very interesting to see it played and more videos all round would be great.

I tend to record around 90% in a single take then spend a bit of time messing around with the trickier chord changes. I also like to have some ad libbed phrases phrases which can be very hit and miss and might involve a lot of takes.  I could do a video in the future but it would probably look like a cassette boy edit.

On this occasion I went with an immediate melody in my head which was the basis of the first few phrases. I then tried building on it with my focus on avoiding my default pentatonic clichés.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1259
    @Modellista Great video. I have no idea how to record video like that. What software do you use to put the audio from your DAW with the video? 
    Cheer @Rowby1 and @flying_pie ;

It's done in Premiere Pro, quite easy to import the footage and audio together.  Tricky part is getting it synced, I just eyeball it until it looks right.

Hard part is playing it properly and not gurning too much!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Re: the synching - perhaps you could give yourself a few bars space before the backing track starts and strike some muted strings once in the silence.  That should give you a clear spike on the original audio as well as the recording and you could use that to line the audio tracks up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Re: the synching - perhaps you could give yourself a few bars space before the backing track starts and strike some muted strings once in the silence.  That should give you a clear spike on the original audio as well as the recording and you could use that to line the audio tracks up
    I guess that's why filming uses a clapperboard? It's a sharp sound you can use to line up audio and video.

I've experimented with video in Reaper, it can do simple video processing, and audio processing of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Yes that’s a good idea. Annoyingly Premiere Pro doesn’t seem to want to give a waveform of the audio - there must be some setting or other. Anyway for the few videos I do just doing it by hand is fine. 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    @Modellista ;https://youtu.be/Uh88_WoHYL4

clapping seems to be the standard method from the few few videos I’ve watched on the subject.  I think there’s an auto sync setting somewhere but I’m not familiar with Premier.  
    ^ that’s cool. My old version of PP doesn’t have auto sync, and the waveform doesn’t appear for some reason on the Wav file so personally I have no choice but to fudge it!

In fact I hate Premiere Pro a bit. Seems like the least intuitive software I can remember. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    @Modellista I use Hitfilm Express.  It's free and awesome.   They have audio wave form to help align video to audio. Tapping the strings or pickups is a good way to help simulate a clapper.  I looked at a coupe of Adobe premiere tutorials and the two products are very similar so if you made the switch you'd probably be up and running in no time. 
  • Sent.

markv said:
    Entry sent.

Added to the playlist. 5 entries so far.

It's not a competition.
    @Modellista I use Hitfilm Express.  It's free and awesome.   They have audio wave form to help align video to audio. Tapping the strings or pickups is a good way to help simulate a clapper.  I looked at a coupe of Adobe premiere tutorials and the two products are very similar so if you made the switch you'd probably be up and running in no time. 
    Appreciate the recommendation. Certainly will give it a go. Hopefully I’ll get on with it better than PP. 
  • @Modellista great to see a video. 

I might have a go at that one month. This could be the start of a new trend.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Entered! Even though it's my backing, I found that bugger really frustrating to get somewhere near.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.