What 2x12

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Or a diagonal 2x12. I have an MJW one with Creamback 65s in and it works really well. The diagonal arrangement means it looks right (square front like a 4x12) and dispersion is very good too. If I were you I’d get Zilla to build you one. Zilla are great to deal with, I have a 1x12 of theirs too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 619

Is there a simple cheatsheet in existence for how all the speaker variants compare and how to choose.

Greenbacks, Creambacks, V30, G12M, Vintage, Heritage blah blah.

What's the 'normal' one for 'normal' people?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    If it’s a 2x12” you can’t go wrong with one each of the Creamback G12M-65 and G12H-75. It’s just a fantastic-sounding combination and also has enough power handling for almost any amp. In a vertical cab put the 65 at the top.

Basically the Creambacks are higher-rated versions of the classic G12M-25 Greenback and G12H-30, but they’re also slightly tighter with less tendency to flap out on low frequencies, and slightly darker which makes them more suitable for heavier modern sounds as well as more blues/classic rock.

I think they’re the best-sounding all-round speakers Celestion have ever made even individually, but the combination of the two is simply outstanding.

Despite the name the Vintage 30 is more of a dedicated hard rock speaker. It also pairs well with a Classic Lead 80 or a G12T-75 for modern rock/metal.

Other opinions are available...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited October 2018
    Depends what kinda tone you're after! V30s generally sit well in a mix and mic up well especially for heavier styles. Can sound a bit mid focused in isolation but that makes them work well too. Greenbacks sit similarly well in my experience with more of a vintage/old school rock tone, looser thinner bass and a nice "bark" - they're my go to for anything old and Marshally as they're synonymous with that tone.

G12T75s are ok imo despite all the bad rep they get online. They're just a bit bland for me. I like Creambacks as a general all round rock speaker, with V30 probably 2nd favourite.
  • ICBM said:
    If it’s a 2x12” you can’t go wrong with one each of the Creamback G12M-65 and G12H-75. It’s just a fantastic-sounding combination and also has enough power handling for almost any amp. In a vertical cab put the 65 at the top.

Basically the Creambacks are higher-rated versions of the classic G12M-25 Greenback and G12H-30, but they’re also slightly tighter with less tendency to flap out on low frequencies, and slightly darker which makes them more suitable for heavier modern sounds as well as more blues/classic rock.

I think they’re the best-sounding all-round speakers Celestion have ever made even individually, but the combination of the two is simply outstanding.

Despite the name the Vintage 30 is more of a dedicated hard rock speaker. It also pairs well with a Classic Lead 80 or a G12T-75 for modern rock/metal.

Other opinions are available..

How about a combination of one of the above and one Alnico Creamback?
    StuartMac290 said:

I don’t know, I’ve never tried an Alnico Creamback. From experience with the Blue and the Gold I would expect the G12H-75 to be a good match, but you can’t always tell until you try - sometimes the results can surprising.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    darius said:

Is there a simple cheatsheet in existence for how all the speaker variants compare and how to choose.

Greenbacks, Creambacks, V30, G12M, Vintage, Heritage blah blah.

What's the 'normal' one for 'normal' people?

The only advice I can offer is try as much as you can.  One guy's perfect is another guy's garbage.  

Eg, I like old G12T-75s, other people find them thin.  And I in my turn find some of the classics too fat for want of a better word.  

Some people love V30s, I detest them, etc.

It's all about your ears and what you want to do with the speakers.

Good luck!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    edited October 2018
    Surely 2x12 with EVM -12Ls is what you need, same as your 1x12 but twice as louderer

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Surely 2x12 with EVM -12Ls is what you need, same as your 1x12 but twice as louderer

Well, yes, thats what i thought. But it seems they are a rare beast and its all Celestion greencreamV30back...
  • ICBM said:
    StuartMac290 said:

I don’t know, I’ve never tried an Alnico Creamback. From experience with the Blue and the Gold I would expect the G12H-75 to be a good match, but you can’t always tell until you try - sometimes the results can surprising.
    I think I'm going to go with one Alnico Creamback and the G12H-75 - Tom at Hoffnine rates the Alnico as the best of the lot. My original plan was a pair of them but I fancy a wee variation in there for recording.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited October 2018
    @ICBM dont suppose you've tried the Neo Creamback? Still interested in trying one as I'm getting far too lazy to cart heavy gear round all the time now people seem to reckon it's somewhere between the C and H Creamback which sounds like a good thing to me.
    TTBZ said:
    @ICBM dont suppose you've tried the Neo Creamback? Still interested in trying one as I'm getting far too lazy to cart heavy gear round all the time now people seem to reckon it's somewhere between the C and H Creamback which sounds like a good thing to me.
    No, I haven't tried it yet either. From what I've heard it's very similar to the G12M-65 rather than the H75, but somewhere in between would also be good.

I think they may have got the Neo thing right now - I didn't like the Century and Century Vintage at all, but the Jensen Tornado was a revelation, and if Celestion have done the same sort of thing with the Neo Creamback it will be a winner.

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I picked up an Orange 2x12 open back for £250 ish recently. Nice and light and well built. 
  • I have a Neo Creamback in a Hoffnine 1x12 cab - it's tonally excellent, just a bit more compressed than the regular Creambacks
    Bump.
    Any thoughts on instead adding a closed back 1x12 to make a more flexible rig instead of a 2x12?
    Anyone do this?
    darius said:

Any thoughts on instead adding a closed back 1x12 to make a more flexible rig instead of a 2x12?
    Anyone do this?
    Not any more, but a very long time ago I had a Marshall 1x12" 50W combo and a matching extension cab. It did produce a broader range of sound, and was more flexible in that I could not bother with the cab if I didn't want to, but to be honest I never really liked the combination, it didn't seem as good as a 2x12" combo or cab - the two sounds seemed to sort of fight against each other. I honestly can't remember what speakers were in them though - in that era it could have been any combination of G12-65, G12M-70, G12T-75 or G12-80... some of those go together better than others. I've never tried it since.

In short, it probably should work, but you may need to experiment with speaker types.

So after missing out on a couple of ideal cabs on ebay (ebay auction winners really DO like paying the almost-new-prices it seems) I've got a new Zilla on the way. Should be here in time to get straight to work at this weekend's gig. More news on arrival...