NAD

enjoenjo Frets: 250
A friend emigrating offered me a bass amp for cheap - I decided it might be a fun thing to have seeing as I do own a bass.
Why did not one tell me how much I was missing out on before!!??
I have no real idea of what I have but is is so much better than the guitar amps I've used for noodling about with in the past.

Now what is shape?

https://i.imgur.com/zgD7IDC.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    A midrange cut frequency sweep control, if I remember rightly.

These are good amps for the money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• The shape control is the secret weapon on those amps. I've still got one of the original ultrabass heads, it has served very well considering it was £160, 15 or so years ago.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Ah the Behringer Shape filter ;)

Behringer’s description is usually that it’s a revolutionary filter that lets you change the shape of your sound. Useful. 

IIRC it’s a sort of cross between a parametric eq and a notch filter - anyway, whatever it is it seems to be similar to the one on the Hartke preamps and is bloody useful!
  • enjoenjo Frets: 250
    Thanks guys, looks like I have some reading to do.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    IIRC it’s a sort of cross between a parametric eq and a notch filter - anyway, whatever it is it seems to be similar to the one on the Hartke preamps and is bloody useful!
    Sounds like a preset EQ cut/boost to scoop out the midrange a bit. Saves wasting an onboard multi-band graphic EQ to achieve the same effect. 

I'm surprised that Bridgehouse approves of this concept. Reduced mids and increased top and bottom usually equates with a white person attempting SLAP BASS. :-p
    Be seeing you.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 250
    Sounds like a preset EQ cut/boost to scoop out the midrange a bit. Saves wasting an onboard multi-band graphic EQ to achieve the same effect. 

I'm surprised that Bridgehouse approves of this concept. Reduced mids and increased top and bottom usually equates with a white person attempting SLAP BASS. :-p
    Is there another way of playing bass then? :-p

Au contraire, blackadder.. ;)

The Hartke one does have a mid flat point which means that if you dial it up it gives a slightly bigger low mid hump, and rolls off a bit of top and bottom - almost anti-slap :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963

The whole amp is pretty much a Hartke copy. Look at the speaker :).

They so some other ones with VU meters... I wonder what they're copies of? ;)

I'm surprised that Bridgehouse approves of this concept. Reduced mids and increased top and bottom usually equates with a person playing a RICKENBACKER. :-p
    FTFY

I always use a scooped sound - it fits around the guitars much better and leaves plenty of space for them in the mix, while also making the dancefloor shake... which is surely the point of bass!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Bridgehouse said:
    anti-slap :)
    Suit YOU, sir?
    Be seeing you.
    Bridgehouse said:
    anti-slap :)
    Suit YOU, sir?
    Sure does!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11679
    Think I saw a film online once called "Auntie Slap"...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...