R9 finish marked by guitar stand

What's Hot
TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
Not sure if this is the right topic to post this as Mary didn't have anything to do with it.... but, I picked mine R9 off a stand tonight and it momentarily stuck to the top part. When it can away it had a mark in the finish (top, middle, back) that won't simply rub away.

I'm guessing it is a reaction of the rubber (cover on the stand) with the finish on the guitar; but how am I best trying to recover it, or, should i leave it for fear of making it worse. 

The guitar is staying, so it isn't really a big deal, but would like to fix it if possible.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1410
    edited October 2018
    If it absolutely won’t shift with polish I’ve resorted to microscopic grade wet and dry before and it’s worked a treat. Very lightly just takes the top layer off and you can’t tell at all because it’s such a fine grade. Appreciate you need some confidence and guts to do this and most wouldn’t dare. I did this to an R7 with a mark so bad I couldn’t make it worse. Totally invisible afterwards. Vanished. I got the wet and dry from
    a friend who uses it on his boat. It’s 10000 or 12000 grade or something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 718
    ...then buy a Hercules stand  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    thanks @hyperben. It is a small mark, and, some may say, the start of patina, but at three weeks old I'm happy to try to bring it back to as new if possible. I guess 0000 grade wire wool may be an alternative to WaD?

P.S. It doesn't live on that stand anymore  :)

@mort I think it will replace one on the wall, unless the neoprene will also affect the finish?

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    TADodger said:
    @mort I think it will replace one on the wall, unless the neoprene will also affect the finish?

I've been using Hercules for years and years with no issues at all. It's all I use now days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Me too. Love their stuff. Never had any issues. An expensive guitar needs an expensive stand  ;)
    terada said:
    TADodger said:

I've been using Hercules for years and years with no issues at all. It's all I use now days.
    Which ones?
    What is it about hercules stands that solves the issue?
    I’ve never had a stand that marks the guitar finish so don’t know. Just know I’ve never had issues with Hercules 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    TADodger said:
    terada said:
    TADodger said:

Which ones?
    I've been using their wall hangers and regular stands. Copied the links below :) 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hercules-GS415B-Guitar-Stand-Fold/dp/B000ARLFYI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1539036868&sr=8-7&keywords=hercules+stand

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hercules-GSP40WB-Mountable-Guitar-Hanger/dp/B000ARL9XK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1539036839&sr=8-7&keywords=hercules+wall+hanger
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    If you can get hold of some virtuoso polish and cleaner try that first - it may work. And if it doesn’t youll have two bottle of the best cleaner and polish on the market
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers @terada. My wall hangers haven't marked other guitars (whatever finish) so guess they are OK. I will move the R9 to a wall hanger and then look for a stand, possibly Hercules, for short term use. My guess is that neoprene, generally used to protect wall hanger is inert, but some short stand PU covers will react with vintage (Nitro?) finishes.
    TADodger said:
    Cheers @terada. My wall hangers haven't marked other guitars (whatever finish) so guess they are OK. I will move the R9 to a wall hanger and then look for a stand, possibly Hercules, for short term use. My guess is that neoprene, generally used to protect wall hanger is inert, but some short stand PU covers will react with vintage (Nitro?) finishes.
    Pretty much that. It’s the chemical makeup of the rubber that counts...
    Thanks @Bridgehouse ;, I won't use that stand again, just need to sort the "its bugging me now" blemish.... or not, what thinks you all?
    TADodger said:
    Thanks @Bridgehouse ;, I won't use that stand again, just need to sort the "its bugging me now" blemish.... or not, what thinks you all?
    As I said, you could try virtuoso first, but after that it’s more involved and I’d be tempted to leave in case you make it worse. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    TADodger said:
    Do nothing to it for a month and see how much it’s bugging you then.  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Which reminds me, I meant to get @Handsome_Chris to recommend a cleaning pack for my new fretless.. unless he fancies giving it a hand-job in person ;)
    Thanks all, this is one of those late, I'm tired (and maybe a bit worse for wine), threads that actually make more sense in the morning. i.e. doing nothing except spit and rub for a while and bet I forget its there. BUT, don't want to do it again!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10102
    Best to get those first marks out of the way mate. It'll only get more even if you get this one out.

I'd leave it.