[very unofficial] Quad warm-up and studio recce session (Herts)

What's Hot

Comments

• @mrkb - no reflection on anyone, just work getting in the way!and too little time - and my first triathlon to focus my mind!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Apologies for the delay on this - life has been a bit crazy (and I'm slightly struggling to keep up with what the actual Quad set list is, let alone practice or work stuff out!) :)

Opening suggestions for October 14th based on a quick cross-reference of Quad songs, warm-up jam attendees, and who's down to do what at Quad:

In no particular order:

Hey Joe
    Wanted Dead or Alive
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    L'il Devil
    Teenage Kicks
    Rockin' in the free world
    Brown sugar

All of the above have at least two of us down to play/sing at Quad, and some of them more.

Personally I wouldn't mind a crack at "Word up" too, if I get time to look at it beforehand, although that's  bit selfish as I think at the moment I'm the only person from the mini-jam who's on that in.

Is there anything else (on the Quad list or not) that people would definitely like to do?  We've got 4 hours at the place, so even allowing for getting in and breaking down, and having multiple run throughs and dicking about we can probably do a few more.  Or just mess around for longer with each of the above, if people find that more helpful.

Assuming the list above is OK, in terms of "plugging the gaps", I think the 'Quad' situation is:

Hey Joe:  @mrkb singing + lead; @TADodger second guitar
    Wanted Dead or Alive: @mrkb singing + electric; me on acoustic (assuming intro twiddle - can always trade that!?); @TADodger electric
    While My Guitar: @mrkb singing + guitar
    L'il Devil: @mrkb singing + lead
    Teenage Kicks: @mrkb sining + lead
    Rockin' in the Free World: me singing + guitar; @TAdodger guitar
    Brown Sugar: @mrkb singing + lead

I know a few of us can definitely step in to support on L'il Devil, Teenage Kicks, While My Guitar and Brown Sugar (I'm assuming open G, but … ?) because there are some repeat offenders coming, but don't want to make any assumptions

If anyone particularly wants to grab drums, bass or additional guitar/vocal on any of those, shout now, otherwise I guess we work it out on the day.

For the record, I can't drum.  I can manage some simple bass stuff, vocals within a limited range, and can probably slot into a guitar 2/3 position with minimal warning on simple stuff where there are no special intricate bits, or where people don't care about that.

Help me make it a plan, chaps :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Thanks for this @snags. ;
    “While my guitar” is being dropped -not enough interest and need space for newcomers selections. So don’t suggest we do that one, I’ve stopped trying to learn it (but have the song sheet if people fancy a go, it’s fun to play)

Will drum on “rocking on the free world” for you, and anything else.

I know teenage kicks inside out, so am happy not to do that if no one else is interested. But if you fancy learning it I have songs sheets for all my songs we can use.

Doing a few runs through might help, I suspect the first one might be ropey!

Will see if I can get/make some drum backing tracks for those songs, so we have a steady rhythm to play against.

we could maybe think of some simple chord sequences to jam as well? Simple structure to practice solos/fills over?

I’ll fill on in bass if needed as long as there’s a song chart to follow

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Thanks Mark, that's great.

I think @sticker can drum a bit, and maybe some of the others? Not sure if anyone will want to, mind!  I also have a couple of local friends who drum that I can ask if it looks like we might be light on percussion. One's excellent, but will probably freak out at the idea of playing with people he doesn't know; the other's a good chap but liable to be as enthusiastic as hell, particularly with no restrictions on volume! :)

I'll hold that in reserve, though - keep it in the family here as much as we can.
    Last (hopefully) bit of major housekeeping before next weekend when this is on like donkey something or others.

Likely attendees
    Assuming nothing has changed we're looking at me, @mrkb, @sticker, @TADodger, @Handsome_Chris, @munckee and possible appearances from @Bridgehouse , @guitartango and @Guitar_Slinger ;

Which probably has the room reasonably but not uncomfortably full based on the description.

Venue
    Venue is River City Studios in Hertford.  Postcode for the navigationally sophisticated is SG14 1NN - Google Maps link here.

Directions are pretty straight forward.  Basically, you need to come into Hertford on the A414.  There's an Esso garage on the A414 just before you leave Hertford heading out towards Welwyn/Hatfield.  If the Esso is on your left when you pass it, take the next left onto Mimram Road.  If the Esso is on your right, carry on to the roundabout that's about 100 yards on, come all the way around and … you can work it out from there.

The studio is right down the end of Mimram Road, just past the point where you think there's no more road to go down on a casual look.  I had a shufti yesterday, and there's some parking immediately outside, but on a Sunday there'll be plenty of spaces to overflow into from other units.

Shops - the Esso is easy walking distance for over-price sweets, water and other garage junk food.  Proper shops are probably a bit too far away for a walk given the time we're there for.

Traffic advisory - Highways are digging the hell out of Hertford at the moment. In theory some of the roadworks should be complete by next Sunday, but right now most of the cut-through routes, including through the middle of town, are blocked off for sewer/drainage repairs and the like.  Diversions are fairly well signed, but if you're relying on a satnav, stick to the bigger roads.

Time
    We're booked in Rehearsal Room 3 from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. on Sunday 14th.  I have no idea how flexible/up tight they are about time, but based on the approach on the phone I'm assuming they're fairly chilled.

Gear
    According to the website there's a drum kit, and a Trace 1x12 combo as well as a PA and 12-channel desk in the room. I believe there are a few stands, mics etc. too.

I'll bring a couple of vocal/general mics and probably an acoustic, couple of electrics, combo, small board, acoustic amp and a box of cables.

You guys are obviously welcome to bring whatever you fancy and can cram in your cars :)

The Plan
    There isn't one, really.  Apart from Hudd I haven't done this kind of thing before, so expect organised chaos. I'll bring some cheat sheets for some of the Quad songs, and we'll just see what happens.  Apart from we have to do Mardy Bum for @munckee!

Contacts
    I'll PM everyone coming my mobile number at some point, just in case of issues on the day. 

Look forward to seeing folk there!

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I'm going to bring my frankentele and my Princeton 68 so I can crank it for the first time and one tubescreamer  

Plus will have the champ for @Bridgehouse ;
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    I am planning on playing Bass at this one on anything that anyone wants me too , I’m not at Quad but happy to help out and support those that are .
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    I will bring a Rift Brownie 5, code 25 and some guitars
    Do you have a drummer lined up for Marcy Bum? I don’t know that one.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Nope - at the moment all I've got lined up is the space and you lot coming. I can try to tap up a local resource; haven't done previously because i didn't want to tread on any toes here, or take up room space with Outsiders. Want me to ask?
    (Alternatively, I think it's a fairly straight 4:4 so if someone just wants to blag a close-enough-for-jazz on the day, I'm sure it'll be fine) 
    It’s a bit more complex than that around the bridge - will see if I can find a drum score for it.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Would it be handy to have a drummer there anyway? If it's a Quad warm-up it seems a bit unfair to do songs you're guitaring/singing and make you sit behind the kit!
    Struck out with both of my most likely local drummers, despite trying to get one to pencil it in a while ago (his wife has stitched him up).

If anyone wants to sneak a drummer in under a blanket or something, that will be fine!
    Excuse the pun but I'm sure Mark can blag it!
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    edited October 2018
    I would also bet on Mark and make it work on the day for drums.

PS will also bring my Taylor GS mini for acoustic stuff.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I have been known to drum in the past.. ahem. If there’s something simple then I might just be able to manage it
    I have been known to drum in the past.. ahem. If there’s something simple then I might just be able to manage it
    You are a dark horse! Are you bringing the harmonicas as well ;).  I can just about drum Mardy bum, so should be ok for that, but would like to guitar on hey joe and Brown sugar, so it’d be great if you could add beatz to those. See you tomorrow!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    I'm sure we'll muddle through.  I'm happy to do some simple bass stuff as long as no-one wants "as recorded" while @Bridgehouse strokes the skins if need be. It might be shit, but it'll be something :)  (My bass, not Mark's drumming)
    I’m going to rock up to Hertford early and go get something to eat if the drive goes to plan . Is the studio near a Burger King or similar. Anyone else in town early wants to meet and eat let me know.