R9 finish marked by guitar stand

What's Hot

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I think its effectively burning I think, the reaction that is. Think thats what I read. 

Again I only use hercules stuff because theyre great and I hear theyre safe, but I don't have any nitro guitars. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    TADodger said:
    Not sure if this is the right topic to post this as Mary didn't have anything to do with it.... but, I picked mine R9 off a stand tonight and it momentarily stuck to the top part. When it can away it had a mark in the finish (top, middle, back) that won't simply rub away.

I'm guessing it is a reaction of the rubber (cover on the stand) with the finish on the guitar; but how am I best trying to recover it, or, should i leave it for fear of making it worse. 

The guitar is staying, so it isn't really a big deal, but would like to fix it if possible.
    if it is just a cloud shadow in the clear then you may be able to polish out with BRASSO.

To prevent this in future cover the touching parts of the stand with either old socks (or similar cotton sleeve) or white paper sticky backed labels.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    fully endorse Hercules - not known the mark a nitro finish - wall hangers or stands

Q-Lok A frame are notorious for marking a Gibson, especially on the rear near the neck join and on the base either side of the strap button at contact points - Ditto many other stands
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    A light rubbing with T Cut sorted my Martin D28 which I bought cheaply because the shop displayed it on a stand which reacted with the finish.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    I would normally grab the T-cut first.  

It's chemicals leaching from one thing to the other.  If you catch it quickly it won't have gone deep, but it can leach all the way through surprisingly quickly
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Feeling better about it this morning and its now on the wall.

@WezV - are you saying I should treat it with something to at least 'clean' the area and prevent it from carrying on deteriorating?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    TADodger said:
    Not sure if this is the right topic to post this as Mary didn't have anything to do with it....
    To be honest also on dodgy ground because you are talking about an R9 not an R8.

But I think the Mary reference qualifies the thread, so do carry on...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    Well an R9 is a Gibson guitar at least whereas, as we all know, an R8 is an Audi.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

T-Cut or any light cutting polish from a reputable car detailing company.

Meguiers, available from Halfords for instance.

If it's good enough for a car finish then it'll be fine on a guitar finish.

You could always finish it off with a decent wax or polish afterwards, if so inclined.

I honestly thought that T cut would be too severe for Nitro and would cut through. I usually have some Farecia G10 but have run out and only have G3 but that is probably more severe than TCut.
  • When I see problems such as this with 'nitro' finishes (i.e. lacquer finishes with just enough nitrocellulose added to the mix to ensure the finish will craze and fade over time) one phrase always comes to mind, 'Not fit for purpose'.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a guitar with such a finish, especially when acrylic can be sprayed as thin, or even thinner, than 'nitro' and is in every way indistinguishable from 'nitro', other than lacking nitro's susceptibility to damage and tendency to deteriorate over time. That said, I do understand that for some such deterioration is exactly why they love 'nitro' lacquer finishes!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I may be one of those that likes natural ageing. I just don't really want it to be in the form of a dull blob in the finish - and not after three weeks  :s
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1410
    Since so many guitars are finished this way I agree with you. Many guitar stands are not fit for purpose. I mean how difficult can it be!? Hercules manage ok
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    Even with a Hercules stand, beware the black plastic plugs they use in the ends of the tubulars, my Les Paul bears the scars.
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited October 2018
    hyperben said:
    Since so many guitars are finished this way I agree with you. Many guitar stands are not fit for purpose. I mean how difficult can it be!? Hercules manage ok
    I meant that the finish clearly is not fit for purpose. After all, 'nitro' finishes are susceptible to damage from many other things as well, from straps to cases and even the player's hands!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    hyperben said:
    I meant that the finish clearly is not fit for purpose. After all, 'nitro' finishes are susceptible to damage from many other things as well, from straps to cases and even the player's hands!
    Yes I know what you meant  ;)
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    I covered my stand in masking tape when I got my first nitro finish guitar. Seems to have worked fine and that was 2007.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had the nitro finish on one of my Gibson’s damaged by the stand covering, luckily it was only a Melody Maker and not one of my more expensive guitars. I now use Hercules stands for my nitro finished guitars and have had no problems, cost a bit more but well worth it. I currently have four but will eventually replace all my cheaper stands with them.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    I find it quite remarkable that stand manufacturers render their stands unusable for guitars with nitro finishes,

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    I find it quite remarkable that stand manufacturers render their stands unusable for guitars with nitro finishes,
    Agree with this. Guitars with this type of finish are really common. These guitar stands are not fit for purpose. And you only find out when it’s too late.