Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So... what about Jet City?

What's Hot

Comments

• Does the Custom 22H have the ability to toggle anything other than channel remotely?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    Does the Custom 22H have the ability to toggle anything other than channel remotely?
    Nope - single button footswitch, though I'm sure there's a mod for that. There seems to be a mod for everything on the JCA amps

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• Well, goddammit.

Tried the old JCA50H (which has been sitting in the corner for two or three years now) in 4CM with the Helix tonight. Once I got a dodgy cable sorted out...ohhhhh lordy, did it sound fiiiiiine. I've found that the Helix can convincingly emulate all the sounds I get from other amps, but it just can't replicate the combined growl and zing that my trusty ol' Jet City pushes out.

Looks like I'm back in the JCA world again. Wow.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EvoEvo Frets: 307
    We must be drinking the same water digitalscream, I’ve been doing exactly the same! 

I was was running a Mesa rig which got shelved when I went helix for the function stuff. I picked up a custom 22 and that was it, it’s three weeks later I’ve picked up an Amelia and I’m after a combo to replace my mark v 35!

on a side note, the Amelia is well worth a look. I know it’s pricey for a jet city (I.e. costs more than a drive pedal) but for 400 squids they’re worth every penny
  • Well, goddammit.

Tried the old JCA50H (which has been sitting in the corner for two or three years now) in 4CM with the Helix tonight. Once I got a dodgy cable sorted out...ohhhhh lordy, did it sound fiiiiiine. I've found that the Helix can convincingly emulate all the sounds I get from other amps, but it just can't replicate the combined growl and zing that my trusty ol' Jet City pushes out.

The dirt channel on that amp is soo ridiculous for the money! Even though Im not using mine and its totally been made obsolete by the VH4 I dont want to sell it :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • First rehearsal with my newly acquired Custom 22 tonight...can’t wait! I’ve been so impressed with it so far.
  • Well, goddammit.

The dirt channel on that amp is soo ridiculous for the money! Even though Im not using mine and its totally been made obsolete by the VH4 I dont want to sell it :)
    Aye...the crunch channel boosted is also awesome, slightly less compressed than the drive channel. I've lost count of the number of (vastly more expensive) amps I've ditched because they didn't match up to my trusty JCA50H.
    <space for hire>
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I don't get the difference between 20 and 22, is the 22 just a 20w amp with 2 channels?  Or is it running at 22w? 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    ^ I think the 22 has 2 channels (i.e. it's more like the bigger heads, except lower in wattage) whereas I think the 20 only has one channel which has less gain.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    edited October 2018
    clarkefan said:
    I don't get the difference between 20 and 22, is the 22 just a 20w amp with 2 channels?  Or is it running at 22w? 
    JCA20H: Single channel 20W head

JCA22H: Dual-channel 20W head, with an effects loop (line-level, post-master-volume)
    EDIT: The crunch channel is the one from the JCA20H, and the drive channel has even more gain.

JCA20HV: Single-channel 20W head, with the JCA22H's effects loop, and a more vintage-voiced feel.

Custom 22: Dual-channel 20W head, completely re-voiced to have a real clean channel and even more gain on the drive channel. Sensible post-MV effects loop, possibly instrument-level (I can't quite remember).

JCA50H: Dual-channel 50W head, with a slightly batty pre-tone-stack line-level effects loop. Slightly less gain than the JCA22H.

JCA100H: Same as the JCA50H, but with twice the power output.

JCA100HDM: Same as the JCA100H, but with a depth control and a 50W switch.

I'd go into the combos, but you can't get most of them any more.

EDIT: The JCA22H, JCA50H, JCA100H and JCA100HDM are effectively 20W/50W/100W versions of the Soldano Hot Rod+, made in China. That means they don't have a clean channel per se - it's crunch and drive, although rolling off the guitar volume does get you clean-ish (as will low output pickups).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    edited October 2018
    Very cool, thanks for the summary :)
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    What do you mean when you talk about batty effects loops?  What's the "normal" practice for effects loops in other amps? 
  • I found the fx loop ok on the JCA50H but the only thing I used it for was return in 4CM. This allowed me to switch out the JAC50H preamp and run a fender twin model straight into the power amp section for clean tone. I needed this flexibility as the shared controls meant that I couldnt get completely clean cleans without sacrificing the distorted tone. Since the distorted tone is 80% of my set I ended up doing crunch and distortion with the 2 JCA channels and the modelled cleans.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • SteveF said:
    What do you mean when you talk about batty effects loops?  What's the "normal" practice for effects loops in other amps? 
    Normal practice is to have an effects loop either before or after the master volume, with a consistent level (usually instrument-level, but sometimes line level).

The loop on the 100H and 50H is between the main gain stages and the tone stack. This has a few effects:

1 - Although the level is nominally "line level", the actual signal level depends heavily on the gain control setting (ie more gain = more volume through the loop).

2 - Time-based effects (reverb and delay) will actually have their repeats and trails distort and compress slightly, because there is a certain amount of clipping that happens in the tone stack in addition to in the main gain stages.

3 - You can't boost the level using the effects loop, because all you're doing is driving the tone stack harder instead of hitting the power amp directly.

It's not a complete disaster, mind - it just means that you have to take these things into account when you set up your rig.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    The JCA50H loop comes from the parent Soldano line.

It's fine as long as you use effects that can handle line level.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I have a Morley loop level corrector which works perfectly with the big JC amps - I could run any pedals with it. 

I've had five or six JC amps over the years but I still have my favourite, my original 20h from years ago. 

I bought it back from the guy I sold it to and I've bunged in a Metro fx loop and a bright switch. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • theimageofalltheimageofall Frets: 121
    edited October 2018
    Well, just got back from first rehearsal with the Custom 22. 

All I can say really is “wow”. Can’t believe the sound that comes out of this amp.

I run it through a 2 x 12 Marshall open backed cab and the sound is huge. I’m so impressed and can’t believe the price that these things sell at.

I’m blown away to be honest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Count me into the "influenced by digitalscream to buy a Jet City" club. That's how I found this forum, searching Jet City info through google.

If it wasn't for your info comparing the 22H and 50H I probably would have bought the 22H. I ended up going for the 100HDM instead. Great decision!
  • Count me into the "influenced by digitalscream to buy a Jet City" club. That's how I found this forum, searching Jet City info through google.

If it wasn't for your info comparing the 22H and 50H I probably would have bought the 22H. I ended up going for the 100HDM instead. Great decision!
    LOL, I'm clearly in the wrong career :D

Seriously, though, glad you're happy with it. Even years on, these amps are still insanely priced. I just don't understand why they're not more popular.
    <space for hire>
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Have they stopped doing combos? Shame