What is your ‘sound’?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4942
Might be in the wrong section but when you plug in your guitar into your amp, what sound makes you smile? It is clean, not too much top and a little breakup. Early Eagles or Luther Perkins. On bass it is a traditional 50s, 60s or 70s thump. Most easily got from a Fender Precision. Which is why I have one. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    edited October 2018
    For me, it's a gainy Marshall and a guitar with humbuckers.  Bridge pickup, volume on full.  Amp is at gig volume.  Big boy open G chord (with the added b-string D).

Think AC/DC live.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    Gain, bass and treble on max, mid on zero, master volume on just enough not to piss off anyone in the house.

OK, I'm joking - gain not on max, treble not quite on max .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Either clean and warm through a fender black/silverface.

Or 

EL34 overdrive through an orange. Either a strat or a les Paul get me there.
  • For me its either Jimmy Page or SRV
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    I suppose stonesy break-up with plenty of guitar character coming through.
  • The Beano Bluesbreakers sound, or the sustained and creamy Andy Latimer sound, or the clean but just on the edge of breakup jazzy/bluesy sound, or whatever else is floating my boat at the time ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I like a crunchy rhythm sound on guitar. On bass it's much the same to be fair. EQ flat.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    I've got a few sort of "go to" sounds:

dead clean no breakup but fat, with delay/verb/maybe chorus for sort of fusioney chords,

thick juicy lead with not a lot of hair and a stereo delay of some sort (I like to stack multiple overdrives into a high headroom clean amp for this, but recently I've found a Buffalo TDX sort of handles this on its own),

super dry high gain where a palm muted E5 blasts the windows out,

phase 90->ep preamp->echo->cranked JCM 800 

But I really can't play mid gain "crunch" kind of sounds, it always feels to me like it's neither nowt nor summat as my old grandad used to say. Not about guitar tones, I hasten to add.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    edited October 2018
    Ballsy modern high gain with lots of low end thump. Drop tuned power chords have that chug you want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm on a seeming endless quest to get six sounds from one guitar;

1) Robben Ford - bridge
    2) Nile Rodgers - bridge and middle
    3) Generic Strat middle p/up tone (I like it, OK... Don't hate)
    4) Peter Green - bridge and neck
    5) BB King - bridge and neck
    6) Grant Green - neck

I haven't quite nailed the right guitar / pickup combination yet - but I'm getting there, I'm getting there...

Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Anything expressive, with potential for light and shade. 
    This is my go to sound mainly;

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Clean - nope.

Rhythm - a bit bass-heavy, quite a bit of gain (but not as much as most metallers will go for - I like clarity), mids about mid, enough treble and presence to let the gain shine through.

Lead - 520ms-ish delay, loads of gain almost to the point of feeding back, but smooth and not piercing.

The Soldano-ish sound is what I go for, hence the Jet City amps with the bright caps removed. Can't get away from it, that's just my tone and always will be.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Guitar is clean with a touch of reverb and slow tremolo or two stage phaser with a cranked compressor to give a plucky sounding attack.
    Bass is clean, bass heavy with a touch of hi band flange and enough gain to get some valve fuzz going when I attack the strings hard.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Vai and Justin Derrico

Overdrive compressed chorus delay reverb.   Thick juicy wide lead tones. 
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 615
    My 56 Les Paul Special P90s pushing a broken up tweed or the 61 Strat through a silver face (neck pickup) ;)
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Somewhere between modern Alice in Chains and End of Heartache era Killswitch Engage. 

For clean it's a smooth but chimey sound with a touch of analogue delay.

Definitely humbuckers.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited October 2018
    I think the closest I've ever got to a sound I'd be happy to use add my own in a parallel universe where I'm a rock star with a signature sound, was in fact with a Vox Lil Night Train. Gain just below noon, is before the bigger gain cuts in, but boosted, telecaster guitar on bridge pickup. Into the crap 1x10 matching cab. It sounded scratchy, trebly, almost like it was direct without a proper cab sound as such. Brilliant for Velvet Underground rhythm guitar.

I don't think the bigger Night Train models sounded quite the same as the Lil Night Train (though that's based only on YouTube, would be happy to be proven wrong!!), it's such a shame it doesn't feature a decent line out without dummy loading it to use with a bigger power amp or to add reverb etc etc
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    Some where between that huge Dino Cazares tone on Demanufacture and John Petrucci for hi gain rhythm tones.

Then some where between Petrucci (again) and Zakk Wylde for lead tones.

I don't try to sound like them but I feel I'm some what in that ball park.

I very rarely use clean tones but I always remember loving a Strat through a big Fender amp for that huge Fender 'thud'
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    edited October 2018
    Somewhere between cats fighting after midnight and nails down a blackboard 

Edit.... But aiming for SRV/Mayer Clean to Zep/AC/DC Dirty 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom