What is your ‘sound’?

What's Hot

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited October 2018
    Ideally something that sounds as close to a keytar as possible.

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Atm, Chris Bucks sound is pretty spot on, plenty of room for clean/mush by using the vol knob on the geetar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27965
    Kazoo into trombone. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31469
    Let's hear them then, descriptions are too vague! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Les Paul into a cooking Matamp with a fuzz as a slight boost in front. Throaty, ballsy and it never fails to inspire me. It’s definitely my sound and relatively unique. 
  • p90fool said:
    Here’s the sound I’m thinking of, admittedly with a famous guitar, but he sounds the same with everything he plays.

https://youtu.be/ho56osrcKdc
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited October 2018
    Dont really do cleans and rarely use neck pickups. I play heavy bluesy/stoner rock with a lot of single string riffs like Clutch. A Gibson with bridge humbucker (or a P90) into a loud Marshall is my happy place. Currently a Mini Jubilee. I tend to go for a modded Marshall kinda tone ala Jerry Cantrell and seem to like lots of mids and decent amount of thickness but with enough treble to stop it being dark and congested. Leads are just the same but louder and more mid/high - might add a delay if I'm feeling fancy or boost with a TS if I want more gain and harmonics. Cleans are just whatever I get by rolling off the guitar volume. Like the idea of fuzz but I also like a lot of percussive attack/definition in my tone which doesn't go so well with fuzz.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22689

I hardly ever actually plug in, but...

My favourite sound - which would probably be completely useless in any practical situation - is neck humbucker, lots of distortion, guitar's tone control on zero so it really sings with very little "attack" when the strings are picked.

Bridge pickup would be completely different, distorted but tight and crunchy, much brighter but not painfully so.

For cleans I prefer single-coil sounds, but "nice" sounding, not too bright or thin.  Again I tend to turn the tone control down a bit.  I like Tele neck pickups...

• vizviz Frets: 10680
    Basic overdriven sound, as provided by a 40-year-old Gibson Les Paul, a Keeley overdrive and Steve Vai’s old Carvin Legacy :)

https://youtu.be/P5frIyOEwZ4
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12323
    At the moment my sound is my strat into Princeton 68 with @Fuengi s rat clone, but sooner or later he will remember I have it! : )
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited October 2018
    DrJazzTap said:
    Ideally something that sounds as close to a keytar as possible.

You can't beat a bit Johnny Demarco and gives me another chance to post this... =)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Les Paul > Bill Lawrence Circuit Boards > Wizard amp Kemper profiles

It's more Rock 'n Roll than Rock & Roll!  ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Tele/Jag/Ricky/Jazzmaster into Vox or Fender - bridge pickup, just breaking up, a bit of reverb and most importantly - maximum jangle. Reference tones - early Who, Rubber Soul/Revolver, Kinks, Marquee Moon, Byrds. 

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    p90fool said:
    This:

Crossed with this: 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    All the sounds! ..... I am a tone slut
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    p90fool said:
    Anything expressive, with potential for light and shade. 
    This is my go to sound mainly;

Always enjoy seeing this - thanks for posting.

viz said:
    Basic overdriven sound, as provided by a 40-year-old Gibson Les Paul, a Keeley overdrive and Steve Vai’s old Carvin Legacy :)

https://youtu.be/P5frIyOEwZ4
    How did you record this?  Do you have special gear or is it merely just putting an iPhone by the speaker? (that's a question for both of you!)
  • EMG 81 into an Orange Dark Terror, gain at about 2 o'clock, shape at 12:01... big dirty drop-C chord, followed by some palm muting \m/
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Just listened to JS Crystal Planet again - basically anything off that album is my favourite sound. Outro to Time is just sublime and still my favourite 2 minutes of music of all time. Probably.
  • I'm really appreciating just having any of my Guitars into the 69 setting on the Drive Channel of the Bogner Goldfinger 45. That's mainly my Teles or the Les Paul or my S-Type.

The 69 setting is like AC/DC Level gain, I put a touch of Reverb on too. Sounds great on any pick up and using the Volume Control on the Guitar makes it even more versatile. I do like using the Clean Channel as well, but set that with the Gain high, not breaking up, but very Fat sounding and lovely for Jazzier Backing Tracks on the Neck pick ups.

Funnily enough, the gear I use for Gigs (Wolfgang and Pedalboard) barely gets used at home anymore. The Wolfgang is my favourite Guitar for playability, but I prefer the tones from my others. Wolfgang is my Workhorse I guess, great gigging Guitar.

It's easy to set up the pedalboard at home, but I've been drawn to the "straight into amp" sound for quite a while now. Maybe sometimes the Wah comes out too.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    munckee said:
    At the moment my sound is my strat into Princeton 68 with @Fuengi s rat clone, but sooner or later he will remember I have it! : )
    Ha! I can hear the old "It's in the shed and we've lost the key" excuse when I ask for it back  ;)