Anyone know a place to buy a vintage fender reverb tank

What's Hot
brooombrooom Frets: 1170
New tanks just don't have the same decay of the old ones. So I'd like to get an old one for a princeton reverb if possible.

Anyone?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I think I have one in my stash, pvc bag and all.

Not sure what it’s worth though.....
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1170
    edited October 2018
    wow, if you can figure out a price, I'm happy to buy it from you. I honestly don't know values, maybe someone here can help.
    edited October 2018
    I’ll have to find it first, but I think I know where it is. 

I have been been collecting this stuff for years having had a vintage fender amp obsession in the past. I’m nearly cured now.
    edited October 2018
    That would be great. Thanks
    edited October 2018
    Found it. On my iPad so not sure this will work.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VcfpgjB

Where are you in the country? Posting these is tricky as the wires connecting to the springs are very fine and easily damaged. Probably why yours is broken.
    Just read your original post again. Measure the length of your tank, not sure the Princeton’s had a shorter one?
    I'm located in London. I'll measure mine today.

I can't make out the model number from the photos maybe that will help determine whether it's a good candidate for a princeton reverb.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    brooom said:
    I'm located in London. I'll measure mine today.

I can't make out the model number from the photos maybe that will help determine whether it's a good candidate for a princeton reverb.
    Will be the same tank as any other Fender valve amp, Accutronics code: 4AB3C1B
    edited October 2018
    ACCUTRONICS
    GENEVA, ILL
    PAT. 2,982,819

Ink stamped 4AB3C1B
    cool, and as @jpfamps ;says it should be good. Let me know if you can send it to London and if so, how much you'd like for it.

Thanks
    PM’d
    Thanks ;)
  • I've got an Accutronics tank marked 4FB2A1C if that's any use and the other one falls through.  Came from an old PA head as far as I remember.  Not sure what the differences are between those models.
    edited October 2018
    Hi @DartmoorHedgehog, thanks.

supposedly the 4AB3C1B has a longer decay.

I'll let you know if something doesn't work out, but at the moment me and @Ossyrocks have come to an agreement.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    I've got an Accutronics tank marked 4FB2A1C if that's any use and the other one falls through.  Came from an old PA head as far as I remember.  Not sure what the differences are between those models.
    Marshall used that reverb tank in models 2144, 2210, 2205, 4210, 4211, and 4212.

It has a higher input impedance (1475ohm) compared to the 8ohm of the classic Fender one. The decay time is shorter (1.75-3 seconds) over the Fender's longer 2.75-4, and the mounting positions are different. the Fender one sits on the floor whilst the Marshall mounts vertically with the connectors facing up.

Both are 16.75" tanks with 4 counter-wound and coupled springs. They are not interchangeable.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like my one wouldn't be any use to you then @brooom ;
    I've had it sat around for ages hoping it'll come in handy for something - think I rescued it from a dead 1970s or early 80s solid state PA head (probably a Carlsbro or HH).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    RiftAmps said:

It has a higher input impedance (1475ohm) compared to the 8ohm of the classic Fender one. The decay time is shorter (1.75-3 seconds) over the Fender's longer 2.75-4, and the mounting positions are different. the Fender one sits on the floor whilst the Marshall mounts vertically with the connectors facing up.

Both are 16.75" tanks with 4 counter-wound and coupled springs. They are not interchangeable.
    That's something of an understatement! Just about as incompatible as it could possibly be without being a completely different technology :).

I'm sure you've also come across a few where people have just shoved something like that in to get it working...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 178
    I picked up an unmarked Accutronics tank a few years ago that, on checking the DC resistance appears to be a 4FB type.  I did try it in a Fender type circuit, and it "worked", but just barely so - there was reverb but very little depth.  I eventually found a home for it in my last DIY amp, which used a capacitor coupled driver rather than the Fender type transformer coupled driver.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    MartinB said:
    I picked up an unmarked Accutronics tank a few years ago that, on checking the DC resistance appears to be a 4FB type.  I did try it in a Fender type circuit, and it "worked", but just barely so - there was reverb but very little depth.  I eventually found a home for it in my last DIY amp, which used a capacitor coupled driver rather than the Fender type transformer coupled driver.
    The F type tank was used in Ampeg and Magnatone amps, and employs (as I'm sure you know) 1/2 a 12AU7 (or octal equivalent) loaded with 4k7 as a reverb driver.

I really like the Ampeg Reverb and have used this circuit in a few builds.

In fact I'm just completing an amp that employs a 12DW7 as a reverb driver and recovery stage, using the 12AU7 side of the 12DW7 to drive the reverb and the 12AX7 side as the recovery amp. (Well in theory; I can't find any 12DW7s in the workshop!!).