I only ever do the same things...how do I get better?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    @close2u Thank you for that, my friend! I saw this site years ago, but couldn’t remember the name!
    You're welcome. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3447
    When you play how do you use that time? Its easy to sit down and noodle, or play a song that you know, but you have to set some time aside for learning, its no fun sitting there playing a scale for an hour to try and nail it but its time you have set aside for learning, so time management is very important, a time for fun playing and a separate time for learning. I try and get an hour a night but If Im lucky thats three or four nights a week, but I am setting aside time for learning rather than having fun playing, after all you cant have fun playing if you haven't learned anything.

Also , because like me you are a home player, take extra consideration about what you actually want to learn , no point in learning a song if the only fun you get from it is 30 seconds of solo playing. And because we dont have a band to practice with we do have to be careful about the songs we learn and the eventual goals we chase.

I started off like you learning rock and blues, more rock though, but I am slowly coming to the conclusion that playing ACDC or Skynyrd isnt doing it for me, if I played in a covers band then yes, that would be great but I dont, so I am moving into Jazz type riffs, something I can sit down and improvise and with a bit of luck keep it new and fresh. My goal is not to be reliant on songs that I have learned, more just to be able improvise and maybe drift in and out of different melody's as I plod along. Im not out to impress anyone or take requests. 

A looper sounds like a great idea, I use a free program from Tracktion , https://www.tracktion.com/ to record from a mic onto my laptop, its not as good as a looper and I have only really started using it but I like it so far. I think a looper will be Santas contribution to my musical adventure this year.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom